I OVERFLOW MAN

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
The first thing I thought of when I saw the "I OVERFLOW MAN" screenshot was Owl of Minerva, no joke. I'm a human anagram solver. First "logo" for the original Bavarian Illuminati. Robert Anton Wilson talks quite a bit about this.

Boqurant
Seriously wrote:
All in all, BoC could be Satanist Illuminati. Their music is great though

Damn, that is disappointing.
Last edited by Ostentatious Username on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posts Quantity
The owls are not what they seem.

New Seed
I flavor women.

Dayvan Cowboy
I really highly doubt BOC are using Illuminati symbolism in a literal sense. I doubt they think there is a secret elite order controlling or planning to control the world. I just think they want to create an ominous sense of paranoia, and as always are using it as social commentary.

The fact that some people believe in Illuminati or Free Mason theories is a symptom of an unfree and frustrated populace who need something to blame for their situation.

Of course that too is pure conjecture, I am not inside Mike and Marcus' minds. But that is what I gather from every interview they've done. They are very rational people who are conscious of social problems.

New Seed
Probably at least in part an inside joke (as the New Clear Dawn thing seems to be)

We'll probably never know how closely Bohemian Grove hijinks parallel those at Hexagon Sun, but there seems to be some similarity (just look at wikipedia). It could have to do with separatism being privileged and harmless (in contrast to Branch Davidians also) Or really any number of things, but most likely some type of Hexagon Sun : Bohemian Grove comparison.

Eagle Minded
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I really highly doubt BOC are using Illuminati symbolism in a literal sense. I doubt they think there is a secret elite order controlling or planning to control the world. I just think they want to create an ominous sense of paranoia, and as always are using it as social commentary.

The fact that some people believe in Illuminati or Free Mason theories is a symptom of an unfree and frustrated populace who need something to blame for their situation.

Of course that too is pure conjecture, I am not inside Mike and Marcus' minds. But that is what I gather from every interview they've done. They are very rational people who are conscious of social problems.

You just won five internets.

Boqurant
Aerial Boundaries is ignorant. Look up the Bilderberg Group.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:I really highly doubt BOC are using Illuminati symbolism in a literal sense. I doubt they think there is a secret elite order controlling or planning to control the world. I just think they want to create an ominous sense of paranoia, and as always are using it as social commentary.

I'm not saying that the brothers have any connection whatsoever to "illuminati", or that the phrase on the CD is even an anagram at all, it was just interesting. That being said, I don't think that you know what you're talking about with the "Free Masons", or what they do. Rationality and believing in masonic theories are not mutually exclusive, and not everyone who does entertain those theories are Alex Jones listeners either.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeitgeist wrote:

I'm not saying that the brothers have any connection whatsoever to "illuminati", or that the phrase on the CD is even an anagram at all, it was just interesting. That being said, I don't think that you know what you're talking about with the "Free Masons", or what they do. Rationality and believing in masonic theories are not mutually exclusive, and not everyone who does entertain those theories are Alex Jones listeners either.

Well I'd rather not get into a discussion on what I believe about that, because I don't want to offend people who do believe in these theories. I am unlikely to change your or anyone else's mind on this matter.

I also didn't mean to imply that people who believe in these theories are ignorant or irrational, though I may have ended up doing that inadvertently due to my own biases.

Side note: I am not sure what you mean by 'what you're talking about with the "Free Masons" or what they do'. I wasn't talking about people who are Free Masons, I was talking about people who believe in the existence of Free Masons.

Boqurant
*Cue Arnold Schwarzenegger voice*

"Owl be back!" 8)

Eagle Minded

bolded to accentuate how much that needed to be said.

Posts Quantity
StarblazerUK wrote:
GeometricPish wrote:
seanandcandy wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:
Weekend_Warrior wrote:Why does the cd still acknowledge them as Mike Sandison and Marcus Eoin?

I thought they came clean during the release of Campfire that they were both Sandison's!?
royalties.

surely not

He's on the BMI database as Marcus Eoin so it's probably just easier for him to continue to be credited as such, it seems like he's just retaining it as his professional name.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?page=1&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&fromrow=1&torow=25&affiliation=PRS&cae=275693228&keyID=715040&keyname=EOIN%20MARCUS&querytype=WriterID

(interestingly, none of TH's tracks seem to be appearing yet on the database for either of the brothers)

Good thing is, using this you can find some tracks some have forgotten about :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5vap7ucG0

Here he appears as Marcus Sandison as well:

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&querytype=WriterID&keyid=715040&keyname=SANDISON+MARCUS&CAE=275693130&Affiliation=PRS
Last edited by The Spaniard on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
The line from the Wiki entry on the Owl of Minerva someone posted on page 2 or whatever it was is pretty much spot on for the album

"the owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk —meaning that philosophy comes to understand a historical condition just as it passes away."

The whole album seems to be about this environmental/societal/other collapse and the final new seeds of hope coming to nothing as we finally realise what we've done. I don't think it goes any deeper than that...

Posts Quantity
Ostentatious Username wrote:Aerial Boundaries is ignorant. Look up the Bilderberg Group.

So what insights do you get by buying into conspiracy theories? That the rich are powerful and control the destiny of the world? Yeah, breaking news.

Eagle Minded
just a cool easter egg matching the themes of the album i guess, although i wouldn't complain if it turned into another trail of clues to a bocset :)

Boqurant
mono wrote:
Ostentatious Username wrote:Aerial Boundaries is ignorant. Look up the Bilderberg Group.

So what insights do you get by buying into conspiracy theories? That the rich are powerful and control the destiny of the world? Yeah, breaking news.

It's not a conspiracy theory .I'm not buying into any theories just the way he said it made it seem like people are stupid for thinking rich people control things.
Last edited by Ostentatious Username on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eagle Minded
i think the boys put that there because they knew a thread like this would happen

and they would laugh

Eagle Minded
Aerial Boundaries wrote:Well I'd rather not get into a discussion on what I believe about that, because I don't want to offend people who do believe in these theories.

What's the concern with "offending people" anyway? One only gets "offended" because it's an easy, passive-aggressive way to close his eyes to any possibility that he's wrong. I face any possibility that my theories are wrong? I get "offended"! Not only do I run away from the truth, but I end up making my detractors feel bad about speaking their minds.

I don't think anyone who pulls out the "OFFENDED!" card deserves any respect. And if anyone becomes aggressive when contradicted by differing opinions, shame on him.

There, I said it.

Posts Quantity
Ostentatious Username wrote:
mono wrote:

I'm not buying into any theories just the way he said it made it seem like people are stupid for thinking rich people control things.

Well, rereading his post, I agree with you that the average person definitely has many people to blame for their situation, but to me it's more blatant robbery than secret sects really.

I like the Minerva's Owl thing. It'd be great if BoC were electro-Hegelians : )

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada