[Interview] The Guardian (June 6th, 2013)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
When I read about the equipment, I just thought that it was very unlikely that this album would be played live. Not that I thought it would be very likely anyway.

Dayvan Cowboy

Eagle Minded
haha holy fuck thats awesome. i need that for my desktop
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Dayvan Cowboy
ill make a bigger one next week if you want...with a better pic. i have another red lego astronaut somewhere too. ill dig it up this weekend if i can ;) what res would you want?

Posts Quantity
re-phaelam-ed wrote:ill make a bigger one next week if you want...with a better pic. i have another red lego astronaut somewhere too. ill dig it up this weekend if i can ;) what res would you want?

You need 2 white helmets, 2 black visors, and 2 red bodies and possibly swap the hands for white or grey if they exist

Bricklink.com

Hands http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?col ... temID=1761

Visor http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?ite ... colorID=11

Helmet http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?ite ... &colorID=1

Eagle Minded
im not picky about a size just as long as its bigger lol
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Posts Quantity
Torso http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?col ... emID=43529

And use white legs but just show a sliver of them in the frame like the belts

Quick mockup, but don't have any grey hands or enough parts for 2

Sherbet Head
aah I was hoping they'd do an interview of some sort especially given the amount of time away. I'm glad they spoke of some of the themes at work here.

The day I listened to the stream I got about 5-6 songs in and really was struck by how cinematic it was. Not loosely cinematic when used to describe music that is large and sweeping and epic but cinematic in that I felt like it belonged in a film score or was like a film score. I also caught the palindrom of collapse and pondered the way the middle of the album holds together but mostly I just let myself get caught up in it. I'm thrilled to read some of what they were saying regarding the album and am happy to have discovered Fabio Frizzi whom I'm embarrassed to admit not having ever heard.

Posts Quantity
Ah good, so I was right about the album being a soundtrack for a movie that doesn't exist :)

Boqurant
kelp wrote:Ah good, so I was right about the album being a soundtrack for a movie that doesn't exist :)

That was my thoughts before i'd heard the album too. This interview was really good.

Eagle Minded
kelp wrote:Ah good, so I was right about the album being a soundtrack for a movie that doesn't exist :)

or does it?

DUN DUN DAHHHHH

Posts Quantity
thinkdontpray wrote:

or does it?

DUN DUN DAHHHHH

Ah, typical them. Make a complete movie only to release the soundtrack, oh silly BoC, such rascals.

Eagle Minded
breadmaker wrote:
Aimo wrote:Great interview - loved reading it this evening, and already it gives a whole other angle at which to take the album.

Also, the Guardian have their Tomorrow's Harvest review up - plus a new pic!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/06/boards-canada-tomorrows-harvest-review

i stopped reading after "2005's disappointing The Campfire Headphase"

i thought the review was written better than most but i don't understand this sentiment either. i think it shows how expectations play into feelings... who knows how I would have felt had I been around to anticipate the release of TCH after hearing Music and IABPOITC

however,

i am not going to rate the ablum over another cause I've never thought of Boards of Canada's music in that way for some reason. though, I can honestly say I've listened to TCH more than any other boc record. of course, one's past experiences are inseparable from one's feelings towards a specific boc release and my most poignant experiences have been with TCH. i think that's all it really comes down to in regards to how you feel about a certain record. and that's what makes the band so special, imo. as m. sandison said in the interview, they think they hear their music differently than everyone else and i think that's true for everyone in a way.

i.e the amount "this is certainly better than that" i've read on this form really surprises me. it's so redundant. i am not talking about disagreeing with opinions: i'm just talking about the blatant and particularly high subjectivity that comes with boc. and i think it's really important for musicians to give the listener a chance to not like their music, ultimately that is what may make something great.

it is so remarkable to me that they made Music Has The Right To Children and then had their next record sound like The Campfire Headphase. i'm not trying to sound too 'fanboy' or whatever, i really believe that. so I disagree with the Monet / Turner analogy. I think they are more like a painter that has been able to create two masterpieces throughout their history that were made in different periods and were painted with a completely different palate, yet still painted by the same hand. that seems to be rare.

...this interview was awesome and i think somewhat comforting in a couple ways. and it's only a matter of time before the twoism heads who weren't feeling the album start to... at least a little, ha. (i haven't heard it yet).
Last edited by d e n on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Friendly Stranger
I'm pleased to see the unwelcome disparaging remarks about TCH have been excised from the printed version.
Obviously the Guardian Review editor saw sense...

Posts Quantity
thinkdontpray wrote:

or does it?

DUN DUN DAHHHHH

haha

Posts Quantity
Does the interview spoil the album? I'd love to read it, but I haven't listened the album yet…

Sherbet Head
d e n wrote:
i am not going to rate the ablum over another cause of I never thought of Boards of Canada's music in that way for some reason.

yeah I can usually pick out what's my favorite at the time, but I can't do a really detailed descending order of like "well this is superior to that because x, y, z". I am usually just focused on what I'm loving at the moment and not how it compares to something else (well I'll compare general sounds and stuff but not in terms of this is better than that)

But it is weird when you hear someone say something like it's universal opinion. I hear that a lot with TCH. Like people automatically assume you rate it last. On the flip side I think a lot of people assume Geogaddi is everyone's favorite because it's their favorite. What one person likes about a certain release might be what another hates about it.

I don't hate any of their stuff though. I think all their albums stand on their own while still having roots in the others.
Last edited by rainier on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
Keeoaddi wrote:
blastrid wrote:
kid wrote:so they're saying the album is palindromic. i'm going to go listen to it in reverse track order!

Or maybe completely in reverse?

:shock:

listening to it like that right now :!:

Recon it flows better this way..... :shock:

Friendly Stranger
haha i have a suspicion this album is targeted at me. It's the most well-constructed new album I've heard by anyone in a long time, the official uk release date is june 10, my birthday, and they stated that they recorded some of the album in new zealand, which is where i live. i had no clue boc were in new zealand and they have been my fav group for years and years so i had to re-read that sentence when they mentioned nz.

the album's already out here on vinyl and cd in stores which really really fkn pisses me off as i preordered the vinyl from bleep the morning it was announced (preordered it on my ipod from my bed in a hostel in tokyo)
at least i legally own the mp3s from preordering and it definitely beats all the other new releases i've heard this year that i've considered great (mbv, exai, silver wilkinson...)
can't wait for my vinyl copy to get here!!! also if they end up reissuing geogaddi and mhtrtc on vinyl i will buy them too.
ΔMī¹=αΣDi[n][ΣFij[n-1]+Fexti[[n̄¹]]

Sherbet Head
You could feel the bullshit

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada