[Interview] The Guardian (June 6th, 2013)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
i'm right there with you rainier

seeami wrote:haha i have a suspicion this album is targeted at me. It's the most well-constructed new album I've heard by anyone in a long time, the official uk release date is june 10, my birthday, and they stated that they recorded some of the album in new zealand, which is where i live. i had no clue boc were in new zealand and they have been my fav group for years and years so i had to re-read that sentence when they mentioned nz.

the album's already out here on vinyl and cd in stores which really really fkn pisses me off as i preordered the vinyl from bleep the morning it was announced (preordered it on my ipod from my bed in a hostel in tokyo)
at least i legally own the mp3s from preordering and it definitely beats all the other new releases i've heard this year that i've considered great (mbv, exai, silver wilkinson...)
can't wait for my vinyl copy to get here!!! also if they end up reissuing geogaddi and mhtrtc on vinyl i will buy them too.

i was really psyched to read they were chilling in New Zealand. doesn't surprise me. one of the most geologically intense places in the world. you're lucky live there. hospital in Tokyo? that sounds like it could be terrible but also awesome.

Friendly Stranger
creativeowlet wrote:
ryetronics wrote:
Ender wrote:
MindElevation wrote:
... I love that bit about them spending a lot of time and traveling long distances just for one effect unit that contributed 1 second of audio to Cold Earth. :lol:

And if I were to guess, that sound occurs at 01:54 in the track. Thoughts anyone?

Maybe.

It just so happens that my favorite sound in the entire album is as at 1:23-4 and only ever occurs that once. I've been meaning to post on here asking if anyone more knowledgeable than I knew of a place in the discography where that occurs - thinking that the uncanny familiarity of the sound meant I'd heard it before in one of their tracks. In my imagination, I pretended it was the sound of Scrooge McDuck's (or some such cartoon character's) eyes turning to dollar signs. "ka-CHING". I can't hear it enough. I hope its the sound he's talking about. It was so damn mind blowingly cool to read that in the interview. Uncannily awesome.

It's one of those two, I'm sure. (although maybe the little 'whoosh' sound at 1:03) I *love* the various sounds and effects through Cold Earth. Particularly the treatment of the counting voice, which reminds me a lot of the samples used in early Skinny Puppy tracks (which were often taken from horror/sci-fi movies, I believe, fitting the whole 'video nasty' ethos the brothers mention in the interview)

I know the John Carpenter connection has been beaten to death, but from the very first reveal of the Cochesa Transmission video weeks ago, I've had the dream sequences/ ending of the movie 'Prince of Darkness' in my head - this was then reinforced by Telepath in particular.

--Fair warning - if you've not seen Prince Of Darkness, beware spoilers if looking at YT, etc--

I guess it's apparent how much I love this direction they've taken with TH. Still smiling like a loon!! :D

Friendly Stranger
d e n wrote:i'm right there with you rainier

seeami wrote:the album's already out here on vinyl and cd in stores which really really fkn pisses me off as i preordered the vinyl from bleep the morning it was announced (preordered it on my ipod from my bed in a hostel in tokyo)

i was really psyched to read they were chilling in New Zealand. doesn't surprise me. one of the most geologically intense places in the world. you're lucky live there. hospital in Tokyo? that sounds like it could be terrible but also awesome.

hostel / hospital. hostels are (usually) more pleasant places to be. :wink:

Boqurant
kid wrote:
breadmaker wrote:
Aimo wrote:Great interview - loved reading it this evening, and already it gives a whole other angle at which to take the album.

Also, the Guardian have their Tomorrow's Harvest review up - plus a new pic!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/06/boards-canada-tomorrows-harvest-review

i stopped reading after "2005's disappointing The Campfire Headphase"

i thought that bit was spot on. it was a huge disappointment for a lot of people, myself included. even of those who weren't disappointed, most probably wouldn't rank it higher than their other albums.

I would actually. Ive heard almost everything BOC has done, and TCH is my favorite record of theirs.

Boqurant
Also, that sound they are talking about in Cold Earth HAS to be the metallic sound at 1:24, that sound blew me away in headphones, ive became quite obsessed with that segment for the short time I've had the album. It just sets up the next bar of music so perfectly, its sooooo sick. I would replay that part just to hear that fucking sound again, and I did.. alot. haha

Sherbet Head
Has this been added since last night???????????

And finally ... will there be live shows taking place around the record? Do Boards Of Canada still exist as a live entity?

Eoin: We've been busy in our rehearsal space lately, so never say never.

Holy shit guys! :shock: :P

Dayvan Cowboy
BunnyRabbit wrote:Has this been added since last night???????????

And finally ... will there be live shows taking place around the record? Do Boards Of Canada still exist as a live entity?

Whoa, those last two Q&A's weren't in the interview when it was published.

Sherbet Head
seeami wrote:i had no clue boc were in new zealand and they have been my fav group for years and years so i had to re-read that sentence when they mentioned nz.

it's a well known fact marcus lived in New Zealand in 2004 for some period of time
also this
*farts*

idk

Posts Quantity

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Those last few questions & answers have been added into that article since last night - great stuff!!

Dayvan Cowboy
indeed! i thought it seemed to cut off quite abruptly.

Also, that oliver sacks book - yes.

Sherbet Head
Aimo wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Those last few questions & answers have been added into that article since last night - great stuff!!

Good. I thought I was going insane and had missed it.

This might need it's own thread...

Posts Quantity
The magazine thought TCH was a disappointing album. Big fucking deal, so did I, but if you like it then listen to it and put the other opinions out of your mind. Nobody has to say "in my humble opinion" every time they make a statement, it should be obvious.

Cold Earth sound is probably the one around 1:23 into the song.

Eagle Minded
I got really excited about the new last question but then realized they'd probably never come to Boston if they did do live shows haha

Sherbet Head
This was Louis' reply to me an hour ago (I mentioned to him that the forum's at Twoism.org and not BocPages)

@louispattison @Quaristice Thanks, I'll see if I can get that changed. BTW - couple more questions added to end of the online interview, may be of interest

Hopefully Twoism is now referenced in the article, I've not checked yet.

Twoist wrote:This was Louis' reply to me an hour ago (I mentioned to him that the forum's at Twoism.org and not BocPages)

@louispattison @Quaristice Thanks, I'll see if I can get that changed. BTW - couple more questions added to end of the online interview, may be of interest

Hopefully Twoism is now references in the article, I've not checked yet.
Why have bocpages redacted from that article? It's bocpages who helps out in viral spreading too with aggregating everything on the website and tweeting / facebooking about it. bocpages is full of speculation too, next to the facts. I've made over 5000 edits since the 20th of April. And now you'll have the reference to bocpages removed? Do not like. :(

bocpages.org and twoism.org are a combined effort. if anything have him link to both.
Last edited by Fredd-E on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
Fredd-E wrote:Why have bocpages redacted from that article? It's bocpages who helps out in viral spreading too with aggregating everything on the website and tweeting / facebooking about it. bocpages is full of speculation too, next to the facts. I've made over 5000 edits since the 20th of April. And now you'll have the reference to bocpages removed? Do not like. :(

bocpages.org and twoism.org are a combined effort. if anything have him link to both.

Bugger, I'm so sorry :( I'll ask he if can change it back..

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
Twoist wrote:This was Louis' reply to me an hour ago (I mentioned to him that the forum's at Twoism.org and not BocPages)

Hopefully Twoism is now references in the article, I've not checked yet.
Why have bocpages redacted from that article? It's bocpages who helps out in viral spreading too with aggregating everything on the website and tweeting / facebooking about it. bocpages is full of speculation too, next to the facts. I've made over 5000 edits since the 20th of April. And now you'll have the reference to bocpages removed? Do not like. :(

:( Maybe he can mention both?

Eagle Minded
So fanboi, but when I read the last question, and answer. Despite the chaos happening around me, even now I almost cried.

Oh man I would loose my mind if it was possible.

Friendly Stranger
PlatrixECV wrote:I absolutely <3 this quote:

In a way we're really celebrating an idea of collapse rather than resisting it. I

Sort of my personal outlook on life. I've always said Nero gets a bad rap. If your world is burning down, might as well spend the final moments immersed in music.

Nero gets a bad rap mostly because he caused the collapse. :lol:

Sherbet Head

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada