Name 3 Moments on Tomorrow's Harvest that stand out to you.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
at least 3 Moments that stand out to you. whether they be voice samples, background noises, pretty chord progressions or just something worth noting. Feel free to tell me why.

Any reason at all. List more if you want.

--------------------------------------------------------------
1. The demolished voice sample in "Nothing is Real" - So powerfully decrepit. His voice and words really hit me, right in the gut. The birds singing in this track, give me a feeling of sanctuary, after the depressing melodies that make this track.

2. The second half of "Jacquard Causeway" - Those chord progressions and just all of those beautiful, colourful synths all swirling to the beat of that off axis snare. such a good tune.

3. The opening and voice samples in "Split Your Infinities" - This track deserves more attention. The opening is radiantly atmospheric. I felt like I was in space, on an impossible mission to save the universe. The voices in here are so beaten up and just tortured to the point of death. The filters kind of remind me of "The Devil is in the Details".

4. The crackly, insane voice sample on "Telepath", along with the desolate chord progression... Some pretty nice vibes, but they do hit me with a deep sadness as well..

5. That lead progression in "Palace Posy", I feel like I am in a prehistoric time, when dinosaurs walked the earth.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Dayvan Cowboy
Reach for the dead. All that tension then, "Listen..." and boom-chak straight into that skittering drum beat that almost as quickly melts away into a golden sunset. But it all hinges on that one quiet little reminder to just sit back and go with it.

The drop into the beat at 1:20 in Cold Earth (and actually, later on in the track as well as they ratchet up the heaviness). Its like coming up a rollercoaster hill and being blinded by a glint of light before hurtling down the other side. They do the same kind of trick in Oscar See Through Red Eye, but its more effective here.

The more serious sounding first two thirds of New Seeds melting away to reveal the beautiful, hopeful, final third. There's something that just sound very unplanned, very human about the electric piano playing there, it almost sounds like more than one person playing variations on the same melody. Ending on the XXXXXX jingle shimmering just under the surface.

Sherbet Head
It seems kind of obvious, but yeah "listen" from rftd and "attention attention" from split your infinities really grab me by the balls*. I also really love the yelps on cold earth.

* I don't know why I keep talking about my balls today. I assure you I don't have testicles.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Posts Quantity
"Listen" sounds so much better in Reach For the Dead than in Ocarina of Time

That high, crying synth that sneaks in about halfway through Jacquard Causeway.

The melody on Nothing is Real is phenomenal as well.

For bonus points: the roses in the RFTD video.

Sherbet Head
The roses are my favorite part too. Everyone's roses and peonies are blooming right now and I keep seeing them nod in the breeze with the sun bleaching them out and think of the video immediately.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Friendly Stranger
1. the dominating snare, chord progression, and wurly+synth sound in nothing is real
2. the moment i realized jacquard causeway was in 3/4
3. the synth interludes - probably the part i was looking forward to the most, because in all their other albums the interludes and short tracks have been the highlights for me
ΔMī¹=αΣDi[n][ΣFij[n-1]+Fexti[[n̄¹]]

Sherbet Head
I love that jacquard causeway is a waltz. I think that's the only one they've ever done.

Eagle Minded
Reach for the dead at about 3:50 in i think, this soft lament

Semena Mertvykh, those beautiful sad chords halfway though.

White Cyclosa chimes. Immense.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

New Seed
Jacquard Causeway played while I watched the coals glowing in my fireplace.

It was the perfect soundtrack to the finale taking place in the hearth.

Boards of Canada works with fire. A small explosion from a piece of wood sent a spark flying over my left shoulder. The sounds of gasses escaping the wood played well together with those coming from my speakers. It was a really special experience for me.

BoC music feels different to anything else I've found. It's authentic. I know I can trust it.

Dayvan Cowboy
The last minute and a half of Palace Posy, the voice on Telepath, Nothing is Real (in general). Highlights of an album that is already pure gold

Posts Quantity
Off the top of my head, the last half of White Cyclosa sounds so dope on a great system. That dizzy drone sound is so fucking cool, and then BOOM, BOOM/BOOM, BOOM. It hits pretty hard.

Friendly Stranger
everything that has been mentioned above....

but also, that scorching hi-voltage death ray sound on 'Cold Earth' at 1:54.

Somebody's operating the apparatus, operatingitata higher voltage than ever before.

Sherbet Head
Ed209 wrote:everything that has been mentioned above....

but also, that scorching hi-voltage death ray sound on 'Cold Earth' at 1:54.

came here to post this! I picture a big metallic egg cracking open and shooting rainbow lasers. I love it SO much.

Eagle Minded
rainier wrote:It seems kind of obvious, but yeah "listen" from rftd and "attention attention" from split your infinities really grab me by the balls*. I also really love the yelps on cold earth.

* I don't know why I keep talking about my balls today. I assure you I don't have testicles.

hahaha thank you for the clarifications. :p

you female's and your jokes about male anatomy.

Friendly Stranger
Split Your Infinities - 2:31 - the double hand clap sound - that gets me every time, what a great moment

Sundown - 1:38 - that chord, makes me feel like I'm in a planetarium in the early 80s

New Seeds - 3:58 - the "happy theme" that's been rising up gets more pronounced - feels like Sesame Street or Mr Rogers, warm analog children's television, goofy, happy, hopeful, in the midst of all the ruin

Sherbet Head
SneakyTT wrote:Split Your Infinities - 2:31 - the double hand clap sound - that gets me every time, what a great moment

when I did my little first impressions notes, I wrote "Oooh handclaps!" next to this one. I love songs with handclaps. Anyone else hear the f-word in this song btw? It sounds like a woman saying "...don't want your fucking..." something or other. Those voices get pretty intense.

Eagle Minded
rainier wrote:
SneakyTT wrote:Split Your Infinities - 2:31 - the double hand clap sound - that gets me every time, what a great moment

when I did my little first impressions notes, I wrote "Oooh handclaps!" next to this one. I love songs with handclaps. Anyone else hear the f-word in this song btw? It sounds like a woman saying "...don't want your fucking..." something or other. Those voices get pretty intense.

YES! I swear mike and marcus put more then just one F-Bomb on this album. I swear. I've heard it in Nothing is Real as well.

Eagle Minded
My three moments would be

When the record starts

When the record starts a second time

When the record starts the third time

In fact by now I think I have close to 100 favorite moments
If you're not happy looking a knob in the face, there's something wrong. - Karl Pilkington

Sherbet Head
When the voices begin on Nothing is Real.
The first horn of Palace Posy.
The "Listen." in Reach for the Dead.
The first deep bass note in Cold Earth.
The signal notes at the end of New Seeds.

Friendly Stranger
The opening of Cold Earth when the drums come in (reminds me of the opening of 1969).
The fanfare at the beginning of Gemini.
The voices in Palacy Posy.
Nothing is Real -- the whole song and the oasis of optimism and bittersweet beauty.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada