[Interview] NY Times (June 12th, 2013)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
tfw you've only heard a small fraction of BoC's true discography.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ender wrote:
A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings,

At this point I was grinning ear to ear

just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s.

Grin instantly disappeared. Oh well, still cool though.

Same here, dude :roll:
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Happy Cycler
Good god! Great interview!

Boqurant
Ender wrote:
A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings,

At this point I was grinning ear to ear

just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s.

I got this image in my head:

Posts Quantity

they're just being mischievous. still confident we'll get something someday. perhaps not the huge archival set people fantasize about. but a more humble low key double CD of live bits and scraps would be my guess. it's entirely possible i am being deluded haha
Last edited by Spaced on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
someone should tell the NY times that mike is not on the left

Boqurant
Q. The album is just over an hour long. Can you estimate how much was recorded? What’s on the cutting room floor?

EOIN Hundreds of tracks. But that’s pretty normal for us. During the time we were recording this record there were lots of finished tracks that didn’t quite fit the plan we had for it, so yeah, a few albums’ worth.

Please.....not another 7 years, just release the "few albums worth" of stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
PlatrixECV wrote:I got this image in my head:

YESSSSSSSS! 8) Seriously though...
The preparation for a dive is always a tense time.

Dayvan Cowboy
depechedaz wrote:Q. The album is just over an hour long. Can you estimate how much was recorded? What’s on the cutting room floor?

EOIN Hundreds of tracks. But that’s pretty normal for us. During the time we were recording this record there were lots of finished tracks that didn’t quite fit the plan we had for it, so yeah, a few albums’ worth.

Please.....not another 7 years, just release the "few albums worth" of stuff!

If they knew they were dead set on the theme (they knew the title in 2006, apparently) maybe they will drop a little of their obsession with thematic cohesiveness and put out some of this material in a couple years...

Who am I kidding, we'll never hear any of it!

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:I've been listening to TH nonstop and love it very much, but it sounds like they are back into teasing the existence of their unheard tunes, Geogaddi era style. Hope dangling this over our heads like a juicy steak is preamble for a box set! Either that, or their kids will sign off on getting it released when we're in our 70s... :/

and as an older guy here - i'd like this before my headphones go over my hearing aids. :)
so we got old unheard stuff that got a polish, so you know its coming and now:
During the time we were recording this record there were lots of finished tracks that didn’t quite fit the plan we had for it, so yeah, a few albums’ worth.

... new unheard stuff that didn't make the cut. keersyt - about a dozen releases 25 years and potentially dozens of releases in just one year. that would blow some minds eh?
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Dayvan Cowboy
If these guys want to retire in style in another 10 years, all they need to do is digitize their back catalog and let people pay a subscription to hear all of it and they'd never have to work again!

But somehow, I think creation of new music will be a lifelong pursuit for them...

Posts Quantity
Techboy wrote:
bdzz wrote:"A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really"

Box set debunked :D
looks like it anyway :P

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10894
HE KNEW :shock:

Dayvan Cowboy
Interesting interview. Not often they go into that amount of detail on how they make the tracks, but I'm loving the idea that they're there, hacking up old VHS machines to make them run slowly and get a good sound out of them. You look at bands coasting on presets and huge samples of other people's work and its so far the opposite of that.

The stuff about the back catalog is interesting too, "thousands of tracks" and hundreds from the sessions for TH alone. Geogaddi-era interviews said pretty much the same thing for that album.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/arts/music/tomorrows-harvest-by-boards-of-canada.html

Sherbet Head
harpoon dodger wrote:
It’s mono, too, which gives it something special. More people should record in mono these days.

I also support recording in mono 8)

Represent!
www.soundcloud.com/88marquis

Boqurant
bdzz wrote:"A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really"

Box set debunked :D

But then! It evolved into a box set.

Eagle Minded
Helios wrote:
Spaced wrote:trolling hard in this interview the rascals, love it.

"We have albums and albums worth of music that you will never hear!"

:cry:

Friendly Stranger
Mike and Marcus are sitting in their farmhouse studio, listening to a truly beautiful piece of music. It has a genuinely etherial quality. It's like nothing that has ever been on earth before. If God listens to music, it would be this.

"What a quality track" says Marcus.

"Yeah" says Mike. "I've always loved Audiotrack 14393. Y'know, maybe we should think about putting some of this music out."

"Haven't you been reading the news?" Marcus says grimly. "Terrorist atrocities, conflict in the middle east, pollution all over the place, scarring our beautiful earth! You think humanity deserves to hear this? They're nothing but a bunch of hairless apes."

"You're right Marcus" says Mike. "I don't know what I was thinking. Let's never release the thousands of incredible tracks we have. Not until human beings can learn to live in peace, and in harmony with nature."

"Yeah" says Marcus. "We'll leave them to our children, and our children's children. They'll know when the time is right."

"That reminds me" says Mike. "Warp have been on the phone again. They are pestering us about a new album."

"Again?" Marcus says, "It's only been eight fucking years. We should just keep them hanging on for longer. Ah fuck it, just send them 17 tracks from the "meh" pile. Everyone will think it's amazing. After all, they've never heard the real gold."

"And they never will"

"I'll drink to that Mike, I'll drink to that."
Last edited by Ciaranarchy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
This interview was great. Really.
ImageImage

Dayvan Cowboy
egbdf wrote:"what are you plans for the future?"

Why isn't that question asked?

1. It's considered rude in the music press business for some reason
2. The interview made a massive, massive error by not asking a very important question
3. He asked, and they declined to answer and requested nothing about it was printed

how about...the album JUST came out...give it time to settle. and them to reset.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada