[Interview] De:Bug (June 17th, 2013)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
^^
That's the one, thanks. Mmmmmmmmm?
rED ORAnge YELLow grEEn blUe inDIGo violEt
ricHArd OF yorK GAvE baTTle in vAIn
ROYGBIV
Released! Oh Yes! Gonna Buy It Vinyl!
B&Q

Friendly Stranger
Not much new in this one compared to the previous Guardian and NYT interviews. But I'll definitely be checking out some books by James Howard Kunstler and Dmitry Orlov.

I also found it interesting how their views on promotion have changed.

This quote is from the new De:Bug interview:

We were involved with the art direction and we helped devise some of the ideas but we had a really great team of people helping us to make it all happen. We really wanted to bring back a feeling of anticipation for new music that has largely been lost in recent years, mainly because of the internet. As with movies these days, everybody already knows absolutely everything that happens in a film before it even hits theatres. It kills the magic. So we were trying to figure out how to get younger listeners to experience some kind of buzz for the record in the way we used to as kids, which is really difficult to do these days because kids can have everything they want, almost at the press of a button.

And this one is from the OOR interview from back in 2002:

We'd much rather that people find our music by themselves, you know, so that it's something that feels like it belongs to them. If it was up to us there would be no promotion for our music at all.

:)

Boqurant
The one quote I was happiest reading, especially after some of the speculation on here that this would be "the end:"
Marcus: It feels like neither of those things from our perspective because we’ve always been working! We’d be making music anyway even if nobody was listening, and we’ve no intention of stopping, so this is just a continuation.

Posts Quantity
Marcus: It’s about finding something beautiful in desolation, something draws us to the atmosphere of destroyed, abandoned places. It’s a bitter-sweet thing that we’ve always tried to achieve in our music. It seems too obvious to make music that is just purely dark, that just seems too easy and naïve. We always try very hard to create something that balances between dark and light. If you can achieve that ambiguity in music, it makes the listener do some work, emotionally. It allows you to put something subversive inside the music, that doesn’t necessarily just declare itself outright.

I have always felt this to be the case with their music, but I'm not too sure people see it that way. It was never just dark, or nostalgic, or happy. I've tried to explain this to folks who have questioned my fixation with the band. People really want to be 'told' what emotion to feel, and explaining something like this makes no sense whatsoever when their approach is strictly 'spectator' as opposed to participator. Things have to be hit you over the head with a fucking sledgehammer obvious, or they're weird, trippy, and don't make sense-- which is almost always deemed a bad thing.

It's cool to see that this has been their approach.

Ambiguity and incredible balance. That is the x-factor -- not some make believe 80's 'nostalgia' via old VHS tapes. it's degrading to them as artists and misses the point entirely.

"I was born in the 90's but I watched stuff on VHS so I get all the nostalgia and stuff too!" :?

Dayvan Cowboy
plasselb wrote:The one quote I was happiest reading, especially after some of the speculation on here that this would be "the end:"
Marcus: It feels like neither of those things from our perspective because we’ve always been working! We’d be making music anyway even if nobody was listening, and we’ve no intention of stopping, so this is just a continuation.

yep...my favorite part of that interview. good to hear!

Eagle Minded
"you’re one of the world’s biggest pop groups."

I think someone may have mistranslated that....... BoC is definitely not a pop group.

Posts Quantity
Headphase wrote:"you’re one of the world’s biggest pop groups."

I think someone may have mistranslated that....... BoC is definitely not a pop group.

It is a popular group.

Eagle Minded
naicob wrote:

It is a popular group.

True, but most pop music nowadays is careless and mainstream.

Posts Quantity
Headphase wrote:
naicob wrote:

It is a popular group.

True, but most pop music nowadays is careless and mainstream.

Sure, but let's not forget what 'pop' means.

Boqurant
Decadence...turning your favourite artists into depressing realists one year at a time.

Dayvan Cowboy
Compound Candy wrote:(out of topic)LOVE your Clark banner!

Mine? Has Chris Clark used this image? I love Clark but don't remember him using it. It's from Jodorowsky's 1973 film The Holy Mountain.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ostentatious Username wrote:Decadence...turning your favourite artists into depressing realists one year at a time.

:D

Friendly Stranger
I wish somebody asked them about the good olde Red Moon code.

Boqurant
Hemulen wrote:I wish somebody asked them about the good olde Red Moon code.

Perhaps they decline to answer, the beauty of email interviews.

Eagle Minded
Do we know that this one was an email interview?

plasselb wrote:The one quote I was happiest reading, especially after some of the speculation on here that this would be "the end:"

Yes and I'm surprised the last two interviews failed to ask this question. Either that, or Boards didn't want to answer it in those first two.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Eagle Minded
thingsthingsthings wrote:
http://de-bug.de/musik/10677.html

Most comprehensive discussion yet.

I agree.
I learned/interpreted a lot from this article e.g., we know that mdg is now even more unlikely to be one of the brothers, since they specifically explained that they avoid a lot of the forums. Another thing that was interesting was that they weren't really involved with the TH promotion. The list goes on and on

Dayvan Cowboy

you truncated the quote....taking it all out of context. if you quote the interviewer correctly...

Are you following what is written online about you, especially in these fan forums? The people there are mad for you. In that regard, you’re one of the world’s biggest pop groups

it is then read like...if you take the sheer numbers of posts written about the band...they could be considered one of the worlds biggest pop groups. they arent literally a "pop" group....but their following would suggests that they are popular.

breath dude....breath.

Posts Quantity
Mike: Our listeners seem to be really cool, savvy types of people. They didn’t let us down.

This is proof positive that neither of these guys has ever spent one minute looking at Twoism or WATMM.

Dayvan Cowboy
GeogEddie wrote:
Mike: Our listeners seem to be really cool, savvy types of people. They didn’t let us down.

This is proof positive that neither of these guys has ever spent one minute looking at Twoism or WATMM.

ha ha ha

Eagle Minded
GeogEddie wrote:

last.fm/user/ienjoycheese ~ [hence i see joy]

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada