[Interview] De:Bug (June 17th, 2013)

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Hmmm, Dmitry Orlov wrote books called The Five Stages of COLLAPSE and Reinventing COLLAPSE..

HMMMMM...

Boqurant
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
blastrid wrote:Loved this interview.

For those interested in learning more about J H Kunstler, his excellent blog, Clusterfuck Nation (http://kunstler.com/blog/) posts every Monday and is full of ego-deflating, rose-colored glasses-shattering, cheek-slappingly sober comments about how our current trajectory as a society (especially us Americans) is doomed. And that a refocusing on a local economy, local food, local transportation, LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL is this only thing that can save us from your typical Mad Max scenario.

Gripping stuff, especially for your Mondays.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW BoC WAS ON THOSE DOOMER AUTHORS FROM THE MOMENT I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ALBUM.

Anyway, I used to read Clusterfuck Nation every Monday nearly religiously after I learned about Peak Oil and was spiraling into existential despair. I got a little burnt out on it mostly because he spends too much time (imo) making fun of southerners and tends to get a bit repetitive after awhile. However, I recommend the book The Long Emergency to pretty much everybody on here. It's a great read that greatly illuminates the problems in our current society.

Now the other dude they mentioned, Dmitry Orlov, has been writing books that are focused on superpower collapse. He spend much of the late 80s and early 90s visiting the Soviet Union at regular intervals and made a point to document and more or less diagnose the economic causes of the decline. Much of his work has gone into applying a similar analysis to the United States. Lately he's also been focusing alot on Anarchism in small communities (in a constructive sense, not the moral panic 'let's blame anarchists for everything awful that happens' sense). Also a big advocate of boat living.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were fans of Archdruid John Michael Greer, who's sort of in the same boat but more of a philosopher.

All have websites and excellent blogs and anybody interested in exploring the themes behind Tomorrow's Harvest should give them a go.

www.resilience.org is a great clearing house for articles related to the topic as well.

I became familiar with these authors through Ran Prieur's website. I'd like to read Orlov in more depth.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Posts Quantity
saturdayindex wrote:Hmmm, Dmitry Orlov wrote books called The Five Stages of COLLAPSE and Reinventing COLLAPSE..

HMMMMM...

Yeah, COLLAPSE is pretty much his deal. Even got a T-shirt he designed with the US being dropped from a crane as a promo item for the latter book for $3 off his blog.

Though he's not the only author on the subject worth mentioning. I don't know if you've read Jared Diamond's book on collapsing societies, but I highly recommend checking it out. Covers all the bases, including the Anasazi and Rapa Nui (Easter Island)

Dayvan Cowboy
^

Thanks for the recommendations. These types of ideas have always fascinated me and I've felt that the collapse of the US has been on its merry way for some time now.

The funny thing is, I think BOC have been saying all of this stuff for years, they've always been THIS political, especially with IABPOITC.

Dayvan Cowboy
On the subject of collapse, I'd imagine the brothers would've watched this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aNubylpkc

EDIT: Full film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeufX6S-Q_s

Friendly Stranger
WeHadNormality wrote:On the subject of collapse, I'd imagine the brothers would've watched this too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aNubylpkc

EDIT: Full film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeufX6S-Q_s

Yeah, that COLLAPSE film is intense. The guy isn't totally nuts, but not totally sane. The rabbit hole of Peak Oil and societal collapse can get totally enveloping and overwhelming. I agree with sleepysilverdoor's post about Kunstler being repetitive and dragging too much on pop culture, but the principles are there.

Even further, a great book to read–-out a few years ago, though--is Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization by Jeff Rubin.

I am planning on writing a rather intensive post about the evolution of Boards of Canada, from composition to concept, and this stuff will surely filter in. So much to think about, in the broader context of BoC's trip from overt childhood references, through the Geogaddi rabbit hole and out on the other side to contemplating the end of the world.

Dayvan Cowboy
Very much liked this bit, quite revealing.

Marcus: In the early nineties mainstream electronic music had mostly become really terrible dance music. We’ve never been into dance music. We were big fans of all the great industrial bands in the eighties, so when dance music came along it was almost as though all that great dark stuff in the eighties had never happened. In the early days of the band our music was much more influenced by what you might call new wave or post-punk and industrial. We’d begun making very experimental music ourselves in the mid eighties, and then by the start of the nineties we were making melodic ambient electronic music, and it felt to us that almost nobody else out there at the time was interested in melody. I think that is why we gravitated towards the artists on Warp. It felt to us that there was actually a strong connection between artists who wanted to make really extreme noise-based music and those who wanted to make extremely minimal, melodic ambient music. Anything as long as you’re not just somewhere in the middle.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeitgeist wrote:
MAXIMUS MISCHIEF wrote:i dont care about the old stuff i want the B sides from MHTRTC geogaddi TCH adnd TH i want some of these hundreds of songs i would like to see another cohesive release to call back to those realms and get a compltely new different side of them
it would be the best thing ever

agreed. dare i say most of their really old OT are unlistenable to me? except trapped, that track is badass.

dang...the old shit has so much heart. might not be recorded the best [character], but it feels freer. like there was more fun being had making it.

the old shit is....THE SHIT. so good....so good.
bmx track, kiteracer 2, king of carnival, 5-9-78, old tunes 1 track 31, orange hexagon sun, sequoia, zander 2, old tunes 1 track 24, old tunes 1 track 16, mansel, she is p

so good!

Posts Quantity
re-phaelam-ed wrote:dang...the old shit has so much heart. might not be recorded the best [character], but it feels freer. like there was more fun being had making it.

the old shit is....THE SHIT. so good....so good.
bmx track, kiteracer 2, king of carnival, 5-9-78, old tunes 1 track 31, orange hexagon sun, sequoia, zander 2, old tunes 1 track 24, old tunes 1 track 16, mansel, she is p

so good!

Agreed! I'd also like to add Northern Plastics. Most underrated Boards song ever if you ask me.
A lot of my all time BoC favorites actually are from the Old Tunes.

Sherbet Head
Is it just me or does the interviewer do far too much talking of his own in this interview?

Dayvan Cowboy
MindElevation wrote:Is it just me or does the interviewer do far too much talking of his own in this interview?

ha ha ha...kinda

Dayvan Cowboy
what old tunes 1 are you referring to phaelam? mine are labelled audiotrack 01-20a and 01-15b (r35tt rather than OT1?)

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:what old tunes 1 are you referring to phaelam? mine are labelled audiotrack 01-20a and 01-15b (r35tt rather than OT1?)

well it used to be called old tunes 1, then some where along the way got renamed to 35 random tracks.
sticking with what i know. this goes way back. prob somewhere in between 2000 and 2003 i think.
[audiogalaxy days]

anyways...
audio track 24
audio track 31
audio track 16

this is the set with

2 she is p
5 finity
15 i will get it tattooed
18 house of adin'abab
25 smallest weird number
28 davie addison
32 triangles and rhombuses

Dayvan Cowboy
hmm, i know its bad and all but do you think you could pm me your copy ? i think mine might be a bit off

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada