Boc Maxima cassette origin

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Now uploading...

Boqurant
YESSSSSS !! :D

Posts Quantity
Marvelous! I have been eager for this. c:
P I S S

Eagle Minded
As much as could reasonably be done:

Boc Maxima (Cassette Remaster) [FLAC]

In addition to the re-balanced EQ and a bit of noise reduction - the following has been addressed:

- Re-checked timing of segues, should hopefully have no jumps or errors

- Channel balance evened (only a very small tweak; a number are still left side dominant, but less so)

- Repaired some of the more noticeable tape dropouts in several songs (such as Chinook, Red Moss, Nlogax) albeit not all; would have been time consuming to identify and successfully repair most

- Amended the split EYDIAB intro with channel adjustment and noise reduction on the 2nd take

- Repaired the intro of Red Moss; now opens with the logo and smoothly continues without the gap

- Interpolated a transition / segue between Red Moss and Concourse with the low note that can be heard fading out as Concourse starts (unfortunately no reference to check against)

- Extended cross-fade of Nlogax into M9, after estimating it was cut a wee bit short

- Restored missing fade-out of M9 containing start of Original Nlogax (this is accurate)

Please note - there is still the heavy distortion on the EYDIAB and Turquoise Hexagon versions for example, although they do sound clearer.

Posts Quantity
Thank you so much!
P I S S

Posts Quantity
I kept meaning to over and over, but this pushed me to it. I reg'd just to say thanks to all of you for the work in here. My ears are doing earflips. My body's telling them to go to bed. They're not listening.

Boqurant
Betacord wrote:As much as could reasonably be done:

In addition to the re-balanced EQ and a bit of noise reduction - the following has been addressed:

- Channel balance evened (only a very small tweak; a number are still left side dominant, but less so)

- Repaired some of the more noticeable tape dropouts in several songs (such as Chinook, Red Moss, Nlogax) albeit not all; would have been time consuming to identify and successfully repair most

- Amended the split EYDIAB intro with channel adjustment and noise reduction on the 2nd take

- Repaired the intro of Red Moss; now opens with the logo and smoothly continues without the gap

- Interpolated a transition / segue between Red Moss and Concourse with the low note that can be heard fading out as Concourse starts (unfortunately no reference to check against)

- Extended cross-fade of Nlogax into M9, after estimating it was cut a wee bit short

- Restored missing fade-out of M9 containing start of Original Nlogax (this is accurate)

Please note - there is still the heavy distortion on the EYDIAB and Turquoise Hexagon versions for example, although they do sound clearer.

Thank you betacord for such a great labour !
The sound is awesome. It's nearly like listening the cd version !

Now, there will be two Boc Maxima Remaster version.
The Essels one and your's The betacord Remaster.

Thanks again

New Seed
Thanks for doing this Betacord, I look forward to it. I've never really listened to boc maxima, preferring to just focus on the actual releases. weird pedantic decision but one I made none the less!

Now i'm actually going to give this a listen! So thank you for your efforts in advance.

Dayvan Cowboy
Betacord wrote:As much as could reasonably be done:

cool man

some tracks seem like they kinda got over compressed. listnening on my ps1000's really reveals tracks with too much comp. everything you do is a balloon is a good example. the sound got squashed

Eagle Minded
re-phaelam-ed wrote:some tracks seem like they kinda got over compressed. listnening on my ps1000's really reveals tracks with too much comp. everything you do is a balloon is a good example. the sound got squashed

Aye, absolutely right... It's a bit of a shame the tape is like that, but there we are. Balloon is a difficult one indeed.

As mentioned, it just wasn't possible to undo the compression & distortion; I could have tried cutting some of the more distorted frequencies at the side for example, but that's not ideal and in the end decided that it was better to preserve the sound.

Dayvan Cowboy
Betacord wrote:
re-phaelam-ed wrote:some tracks seem like they kinda got over compressed. listnening on my ps1000's really reveals tracks with too much comp. everything you do is a balloon is a good example. the sound got squashed

Aye, absolutely right... It's a bit of a shame the tape is like that, but there we are. Balloon is a difficult one indeed.

As mentioned, it just wasn't possible to undo the compression & distortion; I could have tried cutting some of the more distorted frequencies at the side for example, but that's not ideal and in the end decided that it was better to preserve the sound.

oh no...not knocking the effort. whitewater, for example, sounds great.
just seemed like it was pretty good to begin with. ive had them for quite some time....and i dont think ive heard better copies yet. you've definitely boosted the sound. and some of the tracks are really crisp.
again...good job!

but i think i prefere the straight copies the best.
dont take my comments as a neg. please....my mixing skills are poop at best.

Boqurant
So uh, what's the current favorite. :lol:
Scanned the thread, looks like there's whole rips, A/B tracks, split tracks, remastered one, lol...

Download everything and see for myself?

Boqurant
noilednad wrote:So uh, what's the current favorite. :lol:
Scanned the thread, looks like there's whole rips, A/B tracks, split tracks, remastered one, lol...

Download everything and see for myself?

- The original rar from the russian site :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v329xclwefs3s ... tte%29.rar
Tracklisting :
1. Boards Of Canada - Wildlife Analysis / Chinook / Rodox Video / Everything You Do Is A Balloon (Intro) (8:24)
2. Boards Of Canada - Everything You Do Is A Balloon (5:26)
3. Boards Of Canada - Boc Maxima / Roygbiv (4:00)
4. Boards Of Canada - Nova Scotia Robots / June 9th / Niagara / Skimming Stones (9:30)
5. Boards Of Canada - Sixtyniner (5:17)
6. Boards Of Canada - Red Moss (6:16)
7. Boards Of Canada - Concourse (1:42)
8. Boards Of Canada - Carcan / Nlogax (6:59)
9. Boards Of Canada - M9 (3:43)
10. Boards Of Canada - Original Nlogax / Turquoise Hexagon Sun (6:22)
11. Boards Of Canada - Whitewater / One Very Important Thought (7:25)

- My edit in 20 tracks :
Side A :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/heuo9ypnsr859ry/side%20a.zip
Side B :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayd2o6r8rrurpao/side%20b.zip

- ONTHE88 remaster version (http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11174) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oi0ud659vnw5 ... xima-1.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4qimbeje6ko7 ... xima-2.zip

-brtc remaster version (http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11205) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggh0bflwzg3o2 ... stered.zip

- betacord remaster version (for me the best remaster version of the 3)
link above

Posts Quantity
Betacord, you did a great job! much appreciated 8)

Posts Quantity
Good job betacord, I think this is the best I've heard.

Shame nothing can be done with the kickdrum distortion on EYDIAB - is the Boc Maxima version different to the quality version off Hi Scores?

Sherbet Head
Thank you Betacord! :D

Posts Quantity
Betacord, this is fine work - thanks for all your effort

Boqurant
Betacord wrote:Please note - there is still the heavy distortion on the EYDIAB and Turquoise Hexagon versions for example, although they do sound clearer.

With this link, you can find EYDIAB and Turquoise Hexagon with a better sound that fits perfectly in the betacord remaster.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wr4gd8g12g7l ... Tracks.zip

Boqurant
Betacord's fixed up version is nice!
Not sure if I should even keep the original...but I still might "just because". :?

Friendly Stranger
Anyone willing to reupload Betacord's remaster ? I'm curious :)

(thanks in advance)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada