[Interview] Humo (July 16th, 2013) + Poll

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Which track dates back to their very early days?

Gemini
1%
Reach for the Dead
No votes
White Cyclosa
No votes
Jacquard Causeway
8%
Telepath
No votes
Cold Earth
10%
Transmisiones Ferox
1%
Sick Times
No votes
Collapse
4%
Palace Posy
25%
Split Your Infinities
No votes
Uritual
2%
Nothing is Real
19%
Sundown
5%
New Seeds
15%
Come to Dust
1%
Semena Mertvykh
8%

Total votes: 84

mrwza wrote:translation: http://pastebin.com/t840PTZb

/cheers

I edited the first post of this thread with your full text.

Friendly Stranger

Thanks!

Sherbet Head
haha love the daft punk question

"NOT US"

that's my boys
*farts*

idk

Dayvan Cowboy

Thank you so much, i could kiss you! x

Eagle Minded
Capt Kittinger wrote:
North by North wrote:
herxagernsurn wrote:I am going to say its Jacquard Causeway since its kind of a standout on the album. It actually kind of sounds like the drums were updated to sound more consistent with the rest of the album. It also sounds like the big synth wash at the end was recorded later than the rest of it. I think its now my favorite song on the record.

New Seeds also sounds like it could be a new version of an old song that was renamed to fit the album theme.

Palace Posy also has an old school BoC feel for sure but if its the one then I reckon it was also renamed.

The question is...how far back? Pre-Twoism?

Palace Posy is so old school Boards.

I am positive that there is a sound (the clapping kind of sound) in PP that is straight out of Buckie High. Sounds like a ping pong ball or a golf ball on concrete or something. Not saying necessarily that PP is the track being talked of, but this sound stuck out to me as soon as I heard it.

Yeah, Palace Posy is my vote. It has and older style feel for sure, e.g., it has sample-usage (@3:00) fairly reminiscent of Old Tunes (colonel abrams/kool and the gang) where the source appears to be from a song... which, as far as I can tell, is the only track on TH that does this.

Eagle Minded
RE earlier discussion about which track on the album could be the 'old' one - Mr Sandison writes
On Tomorrow's Harvest there's one song that originates from our very early days, but we're not telling which one, try to guess".

Notice he uses the term 'originates,' (assuming translation is accurate!) which suggests much work has been done on it since those early days, and there's nothing here to say its something we would have heard already either.
Palace Posy seems to me the most obvious guess, but I wouldn't discount Cold Earth, or Nothing Is Real - particularly that nostalgic main riff which would gain added poignancy if it were something they'd recorded 20 - 25 years ago when they were still fairly young and naive
Last edited by mc10101 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
...what subtlety?

Friendly Stranger
I'm not sure but I think it's Palace Posy too. It's the one track that stands out and it's got that old school vibe

Dayvan Cowboy
I tell you what the fact that it's vague/well hidden enough that we're guessing about which track it is is a great thing. Either their old unreleased material is that good, or they shined it up enough that it's on par with the rest of the album.

Fair points on Palace Posy, there's a similarity between that and like, 94-96 Aphex Twin stuff with that bouncy melody. And there's a sample in it that's a bit of a clue perhaps... that swirly percussion sound at 1:07 is similar to one that was EVERYWHERE at that time. Aphex used it on I Care ("Acrid Avid Jam Shred" about a minute in) Black Dog used it on Spanners ("Tahr" all the way through). It was after Future Music magazine did an article on creative sampling and made a whole track out of sounds made from a teacup. I shit you not, that sound was in there, I think it was made from stirring in the cup :) Not saying they sampled it, but it was just funny that in the months after that issue came out suddenly there were lots of tracks with similar sounds in them.

Posts Quantity
Basefree wrote:Sundown could also make a good candidate.

Doesn't seem like a popular opinion but I agree. Sounds to me almost like it could be one of the brothers riffing on a synth, a la 'Farewell Fire'.

Eagle Minded
Taperecorder wrote:
lyst wrote:Meh, I knew they just threw together random older material for this release.

Almost like they were forced to by the WARP under some clause.

Hahahaa. You came to this conclusion because they mention that one of their songs is an old one?

They did not push their sound with this album.. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that I dont like it but one thing after listening that I said (in this forum) was "some of this could be plucked right from the old tunes". And this interview proves I was correct.

All of their other work you can see a distinct change or evolution in the work through the years with every new release, this album is more of a regression. Which most BoC fans do not mind.

So yea them admitting this is all not their newest work gives me that impression. Was I being too blunt? Probably.

Eagle Minded
Also, I thought it was beyond them to complain about kids these days having bad taste in music and downloading it. Come off like spiteful old elitists. " We only listen to weird old stuff that no one knows about!!" Hipsters.

Eagle Minded
Who is this Ariel Pink? Any good?

Eagle Minded
When I think about Nothing Is Real being the old one, I think it would make sense especially if it was originally only the melody in the vein of 'Duffy', and then they added beats and samples around it.

Eagle Minded
lyst wrote:All of their other work you can see a distinct change or evolution in the work through the years with every new release, this album is more of a regression. Which most BoC fans do not mind.

Ehh, in fact, to me Geogaddi has always been to Music Has the Right to Children what Jarre's Equinoxe was to Oxygene: the same, but better. I've always thought that if BoC has anything to evolve, it's their vision, not their methods or their sound. And in that sense, Tomorrow's Harvest is as radical an evolution as we could expect from them.

But yeah, they're definitely a far cry from Autechre.
My music: ferniecanto.com.br
YouTube: youtube.com/user/FernieCanto
Bandcamp: ferniecanto.bandcamp.com

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Eagle Minded
Basefree wrote:When I think about Nothing Is Real being the old one, I think it would make sense especially if it was originally only the melody in the vein of 'Duffy', and then they added beats and samples around it.

Exactly. That riff feels like one of those gorgeous little loops which they've now elaborated on
...what subtlety?

Posts Quantity
"I rather let the listener figure it out - there's a chronology in the songtitles and in the atmosphere of the songs, they're chapters in a longer story".

This must be the third time they've made a statement like this. I thought I could contribute a theory about the album or a song here and there, but was mostly met with derision. I think the guys in their interviews have been more positive and encouraging than most people I've met online. "It's not a book" according to my last critic, yet apparently it is a story with chapters. Seems I'm at fault for trying to interact and contribute in some part to a collection of knowledge.

Eagle Minded
aperture wrote:I thought I could contribute a theory about the album or a song here and there, but was mostly met with derision. I think the guys in their interviews have been more positive and encouraging than most people I've met online. "It's not a book" according to my last critic, yet apparently it is a story with chapters. Seems I'm at fault for trying to interact and contribute in some part to a collection of knowledge.
I don't know why you took my comment to yourself like that. I don't think there's any "knowledge" (objective consensus on the story) to achieve from such a weak starting point as here, especially as most theories seem like a huge stretch (like "dinosaurs walking the earth because Palace Posy sounds like stomping", hilarious), but that's just my stupid opinion. Post away.

Posts Quantity
Hell yeah; that was enjoyable. Thanks for the translation! I especially appreciated reading Marcus's point about superficial questions in music journalism, homogeneity in musical tastes vs. tribal clashes, and the denial of Daft Punk's claim about music. Nicely answered.

Posts Quantity
a bit surprised that no one has mentioned this quote from last months Magic RPM interview:

Is the material in Tomorrow's Harvest entirely new or have you (re)used any old stuff?
BOC: We write and record music all the time and this album consists solely of new songs.

which, initially, seems like a direct contradiction of this new information. however the use of the word "originates" leads me to believe that one song merely has its roots in the past and was only properly finished for the new album. though it's a bit odd that they didn't mention that in the Magic interview - "consists solely of new songs" sounds fairly definite. and i suppose both interviews have been translated so perhaps some nuances in the answers have been lost.

i'd also like to add that this is now the seventh (!) interview where the (pretty obvious) question about plans for upcoming projects/releases fails to get asked. either that or BOC just consistently choose not to answer it. which is absolutely their prerogative but still - it's a bit frustrating to read through all the same answers about old horror film soundtracks and the eight year album gap (etc etc) yet again when all i really want to know is whether we'll get an EP before the year is through.

Friendly Stranger
maybe i didn't translate the "originates" bit entirely correct: the translation should've been "dates back"

so there's one track that "dates back" to their early days (i think what they mean is that one track is an updated edit of an old track)

sorry bout that, i did this after a long night of coding

i'd also would like to mention that this magazine has its own writing style (a slightly arrogant touch), which sometimes shows in the way the interviews are written/translated too. so with translating it back and forth there might be some details that are slightly altered. don't take everything literally

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada