[Interview] Humo (July 16th, 2013) + Poll

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Which track dates back to their very early days?

Gemini
1%
Reach for the Dead
No votes
White Cyclosa
No votes
Jacquard Causeway
8%
Telepath
No votes
Cold Earth
10%
Transmisiones Ferox
1%
Sick Times
No votes
Collapse
4%
Palace Posy
25%
Split Your Infinities
No votes
Uritual
2%
Nothing is Real
19%
Sundown
5%
New Seeds
15%
Come to Dust
1%
Semena Mertvykh
8%

Total votes: 84

WeHadNormality wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:added a poll to the opening post

Semena Mertvykh has been missed off the poll.
woops, fixed it!

Eagle Minded
must be nothing is real. being honest it's the only one that bears any resemblance to their old days, the others have more sophistication and layering, and don't have such a strong hinge on that simple melodic-ness of the early stuff.

Telepath
my best bet is palace posy, though cold earth is up there.

Eagle Minded
My vote goes to Semena Mertvykh. A lot of the tracks sort of reprise different elements of other tracks, whether it's something with production or composition (like the synth arpeggios or), or a lot of the tracks just seem too well-produced to be from their old days. Semena Mertvykh is the one I can picture the most off of Old Tunes or one of those albums.

New Seed
“Collapse” has a melody embedded in it (starting around 1:06) that’s almost identical to the melody from Old Tunes v1 side B Audio track 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ4H8XHTM4

If you play Collapse and then play audio track 16 back-to-back the similarities become apparent.

Boqurant
it has to be palace posy. that track sounds SO much like something off old tunes...
Several

Eagle Minded
Either Semena Mertvykh, or Jacquard Causeway

New Seed
It's Collapse. I've never been more certain of anything. During a calm moment, have a listen to one followed by the other. It's really quite wonderful.

Goodnight everyone.

Posts Quantity
Pretzel wrote:It's Collapse. I've never been more certain of anything. During a calm moment, have a listen to one followed by the other. It's really quite wonderful.

Goodnight everyone.

Respect your opinion, but I disagree - mainly because of the arpeggio that's running through it which seems to me to be something quite new in this album.

I think it's Nothing Is Real, just sounds like a MHTRTC-era style track to me. Only other track I think it might be is Sundown which reminds of one of the chaps freeplaying on a keyboard a la Farewell Fire.

Edit: I've just listened to them both a lot and am veering closer to it being Sundown.
Last edited by irv on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
honestly. i think we should narrow this thread down to. is it "palace posy" or "nothing is real"

one of these tracks has to be the one that goes back to their early days

the more i think about it though. the more i believe the track is nothing is real

it mainly just loops and doesnt go anywhere (not in a negative way, i love the song). but it seems like something the brothers could have composed when they were young. the vocal samples seem different than what we are used to from recent boc, and last but not least, the first time i ever heard tomorrows harvest, i immediately thought to myself when i heard nothing is real, this song really reminds me of their old school stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
It would be awesome if it's Nothing is Real, just because I think it's a great track and seems they don't release it for a very long time, also the lyrics, it's like a poetry for me

Posts Quantity
Fireal420 wrote:the first time i ever heard tomorrows harvest, i immediately thought to myself when i heard nothing is real, this song really reminds me of their old school stuff.

Yeah me too - thought immediately of Roygbiv.

Posts Quantity
I'd be surprised if it was anything but Nothing is Real. I can see it being Palace Posy too, but perhaps an earlier less refined version. Nothing is Real could fit right into Old Tunes without anyone batting an eye (ear).

PS I love every song BoC has ever done in the history of ever.

Posts Quantity
Semena Mertvhk is the oldest sounding track in the album, yet people are going for Nothing is Real because it sounds like Roygbiv.

Posts Quantity
Can't see it being Semena Mertvykh in any way personally.

Far darker and moodier than anything else they've done imo.

Sherbet Head
speaking of this magazine, does anyone have a physical copy
*farts*

idk

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada