[Interview] Humo (July 16th, 2013) + Poll

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Which track dates back to their very early days?

Gemini
1%
Reach for the Dead
No votes
White Cyclosa
No votes
Jacquard Causeway
8%
Telepath
No votes
Cold Earth
10%
Transmisiones Ferox
1%
Sick Times
No votes
Collapse
4%
Palace Posy
25%
Split Your Infinities
No votes
Uritual
2%
Nothing is Real
19%
Sundown
5%
New Seeds
15%
Come to Dust
1%
Semena Mertvykh
8%

Total votes: 84

Sherbet Head
herxagernsurn wrote:I am going to say its Jacquard Causeway since its kind of a standout on the album. It actually kind of sounds like the drums were updated to sound more consistent with the rest of the album. It also sounds like the big synth wash at the end was recorded later than the rest of it. I think its now my favorite song on the record.

New Seeds also sounds like it could be a new version of an old song that was renamed to fit the album theme.

Palace Posy also has an old school BoC feel for sure but if its the one then I reckon it was also renamed.

The question is...how far back? Pre-Twoism?

Palace Posy is so old school Boards.

Sherbet Head
First thing I thought of was Telepath

Eagle Minded
It's wise to remember that it's not necessarily the case that they took an old recording and stuck it on the album. It might be an old song idea that got rerecorded for the album. Considering that, Nothing Is Real sounds like a good possibility.
My music: ferniecanto.com.br
YouTube: youtube.com/user/FernieCanto
Bandcamp: ferniecanto.bandcamp.com

Latest album: "Builders of Worlds", released on February 2015: http://www.ferniecanto.com.br/bow/

Boqurant
North by North wrote:
herxagernsurn wrote:I am going to say its Jacquard Causeway since its kind of a standout on the album. It actually kind of sounds like the drums were updated to sound more consistent with the rest of the album. It also sounds like the big synth wash at the end was recorded later than the rest of it. I think its now my favorite song on the record.

New Seeds also sounds like it could be a new version of an old song that was renamed to fit the album theme.

Palace Posy also has an old school BoC feel for sure but if its the one then I reckon it was also renamed.

The question is...how far back? Pre-Twoism?

Palace Posy is so old school Boards.

I am positive that there is a sound (the clapping kind of sound) in PP that is straight out of Buckie High. Sounds like a ping pong ball or a golf ball on concrete or something. Not saying necessarily that PP is the track being talked of, but this sound stuck out to me as soon as I heard it.

Friendly Stranger
Putting in my guess for Palace Posy as well. It felt very oldschool, and stood out particularly from the rest on the album for me.

Eagle Minded
Does the interview tell anything about whether the track has been released before or not? Would be funny if it was off some early release, say Catalog 3 for the fun of it.

Eagle Minded
A number of the TH tracks share certain musical motifs that make them more consistent with the style of this album...

I'd be inclined to rule these out, including Semena Mertvykh (which shares a motif with Gemini - and the mention of being proud of the VHS technique seemed to be a reply in the context of those sounds they made especially for the album) and Jacquard Causeway (rather nicely produced percussion and one section in the melody matches with Uritual).

White Cyclosa is clearly in the film soundtrack vein, pairing well with Gemini's sound, and is far away from the old stuff - I really don't think it is that.

So, the suspect songs that aren't consistent: Nothing Is Real and Palace Posy both seemed like the two main 'odd ones out' to me, right from the start... But: if it's a remaster of a very early track - i-e pre-Twoism - Nothing Is Real actually sounds more like MHTRTC era than something from Old Tunes, otherwise I'd be completely split on those...

The one that jumped out as sounding like an 'old tune' when first I heard it was Palace Posy... The synth sounds, the way it was written, and the contrast with the rest of the album, all give that sense. If it's not the one, then it's one hell of a red herring to write something like that and put it on the album despite it being very much at odds.

Sherbet Head
Nothing is Real sounds like something they would've done around when they were doing Kid For Today
just owing to the two beatles references, but eh. we'll probably never know ha
*farts*

idk

Sherbet Head
Betacord wrote:A number of the TH tracks share certain musical motifs that make them more consistent with the style of this album...

I'd be inclined to rule these out, including Semena Mertvykh (which shares a motif with Gemini - and the mention of being proud of the VHS technique seemed to be a reply in the context of those sounds they made especially for the album) and Jacquard Causeway (rather nicely produced percussion and one section in the melody matches with Uritual).

White Cyclosa is clearly in the film soundtrack vein, pairing well with Gemini's sound, and is far away from the old stuff - I really don't think it is that.

So, the suspect songs that aren't consistent: Nothing Is Real and Palace Posy both seemed like the two main 'odd ones out' to me, right from the start... But: if it's a remaster of a very early track - i-e pre-Twoism - Nothing Is Real actually sounds more like MHTRTC era than something from Old Tunes, otherwise I'd be completely split on those...

The one that jumped out as sounding like an 'old tune' when first I heard it was Palace Posy... The synth sounds, the way it was written, and the contrast with the rest of the album, all give that sense. If it's not the one, then it's one hell of a red herring to write something like that and put it on the album despite it being very much at odds.

Completely agree. And yes, Palace Posy struck me right away as a old tunes era sound/feel. Sequoia came to mind right away. Not saying it has anything to do with that track, but the whole feel was so reminiscent of the old tapes.

New Seed
lyst wrote:Meh, I knew they just threw together random older material for this release.

Almost like they were forced to by the WARP under some clause.

Hahahaa. You came to this conclusion because they mention that one of their songs is an old one?

Eagle Minded
I wish someone would finally do the tedious job of translating this...

Dayvan Cowboy
lyst wrote:Meh, I knew they just threw together random older material for this release.

You must be a blast at parties.

Dayvan Cowboy
Nothing is real seems way too polished and professional to me to be from their early early stuff. I think it's more than likely that it's one of the interludes or shorter songs though honestly I feel like most of the tracks could possibly be a re-working of an older song
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Eagle Minded
Sundown could also make a good candidate. It's maybe the simplest track on the album.

I've also wondered about the apparent playing errors in this track. They're the kind of mistakes I make when I play synth without any knowledge in music theory. But I've considered them intentional because they know very well what they're doing and know how to play.

Sherbet Head
northernlite wrote:
Opothecary wrote:My vote is for Nothing is Real. It has that almost painful feel of loss and nostalgia that I have not heard them hit in a very long time, since before Geogaddi.

i agree, from the first time i heard the album i felt that this track was older

i agree with everything you guys said.. when i first heard the album, nothing is real seemed older

Eagle Minded
Guys:
The hypothetical "Petina" is one second shorter than "Reach for the Dead"
The hypothetical "Stowed Under" is one second shorter than "Sick Times"...
And "Sick Times" has a similar drum pattern to Pete Standing Alone and a VHS fuzz /marginally/ fuzzier than the rest of the album.
???
You're knocking on the door I closed today

Posts Quantity

nobody said it that way...the brothers simply said one track was from their old days...it wasn't a compilation style album

Posts Quantity
As a native Dutch speaker it looks to me that the interview is continuing to the next page. I could be wrong though....

Sherbet Head
this came out July 16 and we still don't have a translation
for shame
*farts*

idk

Friendly Stranger

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada