Play by Numbers

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Someone PM it to me too, even though it's probably fake. But why not.....

Man I feel pathetic for letting myself be fooled again.

Eagle Minded
well by fakes, you could discover new artists, too.

Friendly Stranger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLp-M3yhM0

Is this the track you guys are wanting?

Eagle Minded
Gluestick300 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLp-M3yhM0

That sounds pretty legit to me, the quality kinda fits with the time, too.
Edit: i think this might be a real one, you guys

Dayvan Cowboy

Eagle Minded
ParticleGhost wrote:
Gluestick300 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLp-M3yhM0

That sounds pretty legit to me, the quality kinda fits with the time, too.
Edit: i think this might be a real one, you guys

you're kidding right
PlacentaSand wrote:One time I listened to Geogaddi and i got scared.

Boqurant
I think every single thread for any fake has always had someone say "I think this is it, guys." It's starting to become a meme.

Just the fact it's based off of a track from that RR35TT makes me suspicious, since anyone could have made it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Gevel wrote:I think every single thread for any fake has always had someone say "I think this is it, guys." It's starting to become a meme.

Just the fact it's based off of a track from that RR35TT makes me suspicious, since anyone could have made it.
yes, quite.
among other things it is well accepted that when we hear a leak of acid memories, play by numbers or hooper bay, it will be confirmed by circle, wouldnt you like to be free or duffy.
where did that video come from anyway?

Sherbet Head
well whatever is going on with that youtube... theyre at least getting the look of the channel right. Same as boc, atalanta, and hell interface

and I dont know why youtube does what it does.... but is there a reason atalanta and hell interface are listed as "featured channels" on the top right of the ZmVicnVhcnkgMjAxNA channel? Is it just because they have a boc song?
also, it says 2 videos next to their name, only 1 on the channel?

would feel like a major asshole if its legit and I already pretty much wrote it off as fake :lol:

for shits and giggles i put ZmVicnVhcnkgMjAxNA into cosecha
nothin :oops:

ok im stoned and tired
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Friendly Stranger
nick47 wrote:for shits and giggles i put ZmVicnVhcnkgMjAxNA into cosecha
nothin :oops:

"ZmVicnVhcnkgMjAxNA" is "febuary 2014" in base64

http://home.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

Posts Quantity
If it is a fake it's defiantly one of the best I've heard. I really enjoyed the song, hah.

Eagle Minded
nick47 wrote:
and I dont know why youtube does what it does.... but is there a reason atalanta and hell interface are listed as "featured channels" on the top right of the ZmVicnVhcnkgMjAxNA channel? Is it just because they have a boc song?

This alone does nothing for their credibility. That's like saying "I'm friends with Obama". What you need is for Obama to say he's friends with you.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Eagle Minded
This isn't even good. Way too overt.

Posts Quantity
Alright, a few observations here:

The track is pretty much R35TT's audiotrack 4b (for the ones who think the video doesn't sound boc at all...), but, and that's what makes it at least slightly interesting to me, with additional synths, drum layering and I'd say less tape noise. Of course someone could have applied some noise reduction and added some stuff, it
just sounds quite fitting I think. The channel itself with the creepy (as opposed to other usual fake's cheesy boc ripoff aesthetics) picture and the coded name (that apparently actually means something) at least seems like something that could be legit. So if it's fake, congrats to whoever made it, it's one of the most convincing ones.

Eagle Minded
I see three possibilities:

1. it's fake
2. it's real and someone leaked it
3. it's real and BoC "leaked" it

I think we can rule out 2 since, if it was a legit leak, whoever leaked it wouldn't feel the need to create a fake BoC youtube account.

3 Seems unlikely. Instead of making Atlanta and Hell Interface featured channels on this ZmVicasjfkhioerhu whatever, they would have made ZmVicaskjafkjl whatever a featured channel on one of the known legit channels, like Atlanta or Hell Interface. What were the others they used for the Cosecha? I can't remember them. I'd actually be more convinced it was real if ZmVic hadn't appointed those featured channels. In that case there would have at least been the slim chance that it was BoC but they didn't want to make it obvious by having a legit account feature this one.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Sherbet Head
Re: the YT channel avatar/pic, it's the bottom middle picture of the Closes Vol.1 cover that's been on the www. Except the middle portion of the guy's shirt is darkened out. No idea if this lends anything to the mystery, just pointing it out...

Posts Quantity
North by North wrote:Re: the YT channel avatar/pic, it's the bottom middle picture of the Closes Vol.1 cover that's been on the www. Except the middle portion of the guy's shirt is darkened out. No idea if this lends anything to the mystery, just pointing it out...

Well spotted! I also just noticed that the video artwork looks like the highest resolution Play By Numbers one I've seen so far. Again, might not mean anything, but still.

Posts Quantity
To me this sounds like someone took Audiotrack 4b, removed some of the lower frequencies and maybe ran it through a filter, then added an un-BOCy synth line over the top.

There's nothing clever or subtle about the synth line, it's just notes in key.

There's even the point at about 2m 39s where more hiss comes in, just as it does around 2m 34s on 4b.

Dayvan Cowboy
Yes exactly, infact it is not even in key. One of the other things is that the mp3 sent to me had a sample rate of 48000Hz, as if it had been output from a DAW.

Eagle Minded
I so want this to be real

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada