Interesting anecdote about the very beginnings

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

thingsthingsthings wrote:It was just circumstance. But the later realization that my peers were now in someway famous opened my eyes a bit and made me more comfortable with the idea of approaching performers as people rather than "stars" or "idols". That has lead me to a different perspective and over the years opened a few doors to experiences and situations that I don't think I would've pursued otherwise.
Not that I wouldn't have got involved, but just that the relationships I formed were less stilted... It was easier for me to sit down with a "personality" and see a real person, rather than the fictional character they're portrayed as through media. "We all put our pants on one leg at a time". That kind of thing.

That made me more comfortable and confident and in that respect, yes, I was lucky to have had that relationship with those guys because it lead me to other experiences I relish.
But, like I say, it was circumstance and those guys aren't the only celebrities I know from my younger days. If you grow up in a city you're likely to meet a lot of people and as time goes by some of them become known more widely.
I enjoyed reading all of this, but this bit is specifically nice.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Posts Quantity
I looked up Balerno on Wikipedia.

Interestingly the article mentions a Red Moss Wildlife Reserve SSSI...

Thanks for putting that article up, it does have a ring of truth about it even though I have no corroborating evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balerno
Jesus, was it you indeed?
To flirt unkindly with my greed
Promising eternal life
When you knew it was not right?
When you knew that what I'd need was willingness and comfort there

Posts Quantity
Opothecary wrote:
NEUROMUTE wrote:It's unfortunate that this represents the likely fate of most copies of Pre-Maxima tapes. Pity.

they're still out there. R35TT is a nice mix of all that stuff that someone put together

That's why R35TT has always been this kind of crazy magnet to me, for lots of the same reasons why recollections like the one driving this thread catch my attention. Their earliest accessible stuff says a lot about what happened after, but some of my top fav sounds from them come from those sources (oh man some of the synths). They're great things in their own right. So many related things I've been dying to know about, I've got like a growing list of nerdy scrawled notes/questions.

Posts Quantity
mr3 wrote:
Opothecary wrote:
NEUROMUTE wrote:It's unfortunate that this represents the likely fate of most copies of Pre-Maxima tapes. Pity.

they're still out there. R35TT is a nice mix of all that stuff that someone put together

That's why R35TT has always been this kind of crazy magnet to me, for lots of the same reasons why recollections like the one driving this thread catch my attention. Their earliest accessible stuff says a lot about what happened after, but some of my top fav sounds from them come from those sources (oh man some of the synths). They're great things in their own right. So many related things I've been dying to know about, I've got like a growing list of nerdy scrawled notes/questions.

The one thing crazy for me about R35TT is that it's a new experience for me each time I listen. I always hear something new each time, or I get a different set of emotions from it.
P I S S

Posts Quantity
TOYOTAセ&#1 wrote:The one thing crazy for me about R35TT is that it's a new experience for me each time I listen. I always hear something new each time, or I get a different set of emotions from it.

Rock on, I figured I was just some wacko about it. Maybe it's what happens when you really like something. Still you'd think it'd level off. We oughta try to dig deeper into the history of it sometime, maybe more'll come out of it, who knows. For ex, 04A: I've always bet it was one of those tapes they saved from those kid days when they'd record something between 2 boomboxes and layer new tracks over and over til the audio gummed up with junk.

New Seed
Whoa guys, I just realised.
Wheeltower is an anagram of...

El Wet Whore.

This requires further investigation!

Friendly Stranger
MDG hasn't posted anything about this yet? Weird...

Dayvan Cowboy
No but my sources say he has confirmed it.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:cool story, bro
you don't care to hear until you listen

Eagle Minded
ScampSixteen wrote:Whoa guys, I just realised.
Wheeltower is an anagram of...

El Wet Whore.

This requires further investigation!

thank you - today was a rough one.
nice to end it with a laugh out loud in an empty room!
:D
Four legs good, two legs bad
- George Orwell

Eagle Minded
reddit get all the scoops

Dayvan Cowboy
The ultimate question: Was any of Old Tunes and Random Thirty Five Track Tape from Wheeltower?
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The ultimate question: Was any of Old Tunes and Random Thirty Five Track Tape from Wheeltower?

Oh! I like this line of speculation! Very good question.

I think we heard some Wheeltower in the VHS tape stuff recently but I know that's not part of this thread.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm not entirely unconvinced that BoC has been a figment of my imagination this whole time.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Sherbet Head
The comparisons to Nitzer Ebb are the most interesting part of this to me.
phpBB [media]

I think they've almost certainly got a big chunk of early material that sounds somewhere between this and a couple of tracks from Societas X (particularly the Unspeakable demo and Strangers)
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:The comparisons to Nitzer Ebb are the most interesting part of this to me.
phpBB [media]

I think they've almost certainly got a big chunk of early material that sounds somewhere between this and a couple of tracks from Societas X (particularly the Unspeakable demo and Strangers)

I was prompted to check out some Ebb from their interviews. I can totally see how Ebb drums influenced BOC. The screaming not so much, but the electronic drums are always very crisp.

Some of the R35TT stuff sounds like Ebb drums over their signature synth doodles
Makes me think that stuff is Wheeltower.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
I don't think we've ever heard any Wheeltower stuff. If there's hundreds of tracks per year dating back to 1985-ish, and we only have a combined 105 or so, then that's just a tiny fraction of BOC's early material, none of which really screams Nitzer Ebb to me (that I can recall off the top of my head), nor am I sure they would re-use a "Wheeltower" track under the BOC name, as they seem to be basically two different bands, two different entities in a way.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sky and Trails wrote:I think we heard some Wheeltower in the VHS tape stuff recently but I know that's not part of this thread.

The fact that the archived channel showed the "tape" had been uploaded with track titles and an album title, then taken down and relabeled as a "mysterious" find at a thrift store, pretty conclusively proves that was a fake.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada