Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
They will go on a small tour and play a handful of shows in the next few years.

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:If you’ve never listened to BoC on drugs, you’ve never listened to BoC.
Controversial opinion:
You can enjoy music to its full potential without drugs.

Source:
27 and never touched drugs
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:Controversial opinion:

Source:

I mean I don't disagree, but if you've never touched drugs, you have no basis for comparison.

It's like if someone says "fries are best with ketchup," and then you respond "fries taste just as good without ketchup. source: I've never tried fries with ketchup."

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Controversial opinion:

Source:

I mean I don't disagree, but if you've never touched drugs, you have no basis for comparison.

It's like if someone says "fries are best with ketchup," and then you respond "fries taste just as good without ketchup. source: I've never tried fries with ketchup."
Fair enough, that post was pretty stupid in hindsight, but I still stand by my point. I just really dislike the "drugs make things better" mentality in art.

Eagle Minded
I wouldn’t say they make them better, just certain ones open up channels you’re not used to existing in. They are tools, it’s up to the user to be irresponsible.

An eight of mushrooms and The Campfire Headphase hits way different than a sober listen, and to be able to have the control to amplify music listening or creative output for a few hours as a mental vacation comes in handy in these trying times.

Dayvan Cowboy
My belief is that Treat Em Right was a quality leftover from the Mr. Mistake sessions and was released to placate their hungry fanbase.

Sometimes on the other hand is the true direction they're headed. Complete with a kinder gentler atmosphere of psychedelic bliss
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
Societas X Tape was the absolute least that BoC could do for Warp30.

Sherbet Head
Echelon! Why’d you delete your post? I’m pretty sure this is a safe space to say things that are critical of BoC without any negative consequences. I really think Micus can handle it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:Echelon! Why’d you delete your post? I’m pretty sure this is a safe space to say things that are critical of BoC without any negative consequences. I really think Micus can handle it.

I deleted it not because of Micus but because I don't want to anger people with the fact I was disappointed with Societas too.

And XYZ.

Great music for sure but I would have much rather had anything new or even message telling us when to expect a new album.

Sherbet Head
Fair enough.

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:Fair enough.

That said, I'd like to pretend there is a big "master plan" to put their unreleased music into a proper context and that's why they don't dump it.

I also edited it again haha I don't want to cause any debates

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:
Josh wrote:Fair enough.

That said, I'd like to pretend there is a big "master plan" to put their unreleased music into a proper context and that's why they don't dump it.

I also edited it again haha I don't want to cause any debates

That's kind of the point of this thread, isn't it? Ah, well. You do you.

Dayvan Cowboy
[sarcasmisthelowestformofwit:on]
"The hoards and masses are comin' to contradict your boccy opinions Echelon!
Save yourself by taking shelter in the playground, I'll hold the fort."
[/sarcasmisthelowestformofwit:off]

Don't mind the above, to be serious though this is as controversial as much as anything is.

- Julie and Candy from Geogaddi is an overproduced track. It all sounds very cluttered and confused to me.
Sometimes, I wish the underlying melody was the basis for an interlude and not a fully fleshed out 4-minuter.
I just can't say I enjoy it all that much.

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:My belief is that Treat Em Right was a quality leftover from the Mr. Mistake sessions and was released to placate their hungry fanbase.

I am sure this is correct. I reckon BOC were given stems for a number of different Nevermen tracks in 2016 and Treat Em Right was released from those sessions.

I reckon Societas X Tape was done primarily by only one of the brothers.

Posts Quantity
MHTRTC is overrated. Twoism is the best.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Orbited insanitarium wrote:- Julie and Candy from Geogaddi is an overproduced track. It all sounds very cluttered and confused to me.

Well, I think that a great part of Geogaddi (essentially the longer tracks) can sound "overproduced", but it's also what make it what it is if you ask me.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:Fair enough, that post was pretty stupid in hindsight, but I still stand by my point. I just really dislike the "drugs make things better" mentality in art.

I get that, I think the original comment from Tonx was a little... Judgmental?

That said, if you've never touched drugs, how do you have an opinion on the matter?

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Fair enough, that post was pretty stupid in hindsight, but I still stand by my point. I just really dislike the "drugs make things better" mentality in art.

I get that, I think the original comment from Tonx was a little... Judgmental?

That said, if you've never touched drugs, how do you have an opinion on the matter?

Because I would like to think there's something in life that I can find pure enjoyment in that doesn't have to be "enhanced" my outside forces.

But that probably still doesn't validate the opinion, so I guess I take it all back.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:Because I would like to think there's something in life that I can find pure enjoyment in that doesn't have to be "enhanced" by outside forces.

I'm in full agreement with rodox's above post.

I would like to add though that some of the greatest albums of our time would not have been made if not for *certain substances*
Spacemen 3's "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To" comes to mind. Which is a fairly ironic title, if you think about it. :)

Sherbet Head
When it comes to halucinagenics, basically forget and disregard any opinion you have about any other drug or drugs in general.
I HATE drugs, there is no need for any of them for recreation, people shouldn't need to escape life, they just need to make life better (easy to say I know)
However, things like Mushrooms/LSD/DMT are completely different. Yes, they have been used for recreation and escape but they are also very powerful tools for the brain and creativity. You can learn so much with these things and on a simplistic level with music, they open up new aural ways of hearing material you know so well. It's not about making something sound better while you feel buzzy and in a great mood, go take shitty coke for that.
Mushrooms even made listening to my own album a really emotional, interesting and new experience. That's how mind changing it can be.
You could feel the bullshit

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada