Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
because it's a site geared around tracks that sample tracks not tracks that sound like tracks.
;)
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Small sample/interpolation drop. First one is a courtesy of someone in youtube comments:
Tears From the Compound Eye
phpBB [media]

R35TT B02
phpBB [media]

Stefan Zauner was a part of Amon Düül II but not on this particular album. Art for Hiscores might have also been inspired by one of the album covers:

Sherbet Head
Wasn't sure where to put this but Spectrum has some remnants/pieces of Twoism in it (the song)

Sherbet Head
steeldancer-x wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this but Spectrum has some remnants/pieces of Twoism in it (the song)

Fax. Its literally the same beat and sample but with different melodies on top.

Nice spot!

New Seed
Hello everyone!

Sorry to bring this up again, but something caught my attention regarding the WARP10 pictures.

Regarding their gear: This is definitely a CASIO CZ 101 that Mike is playing. (Probably as a controller). But still, if you listen to its sounds... it sounds very BOC to me.
Imagehttps://bocpages.org/w/images/Warp10_Onanon_2.jpg[/img]

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9_HkZMKzs&ab_channel=sonicstate

Also, the blue keyboard Marcus is playing it is in fact the CS1x (also as a controller). The rare panel shows all the connections of the CS1X, which are not included in the AN1X.
Imagehttps://bocpages.org/w/images/Warp10_Onanon_4.jpg[/img]

Posts Quantity
sixtyniner wrote:Someone in the comment section of my video managed to find the original interview with Jeff Lynne from ELO sampled on Happy Cycling

It's from Rockline hosted by Bob Coburn on 27 June 1983. You can hear the start of the sample at 22:06:
http://www.elodiscovery.com/interviews/ ... ckline.mp3

But the introduction heard in Happy Cycling wasn't on that broadcast, so they must have sampled something else instead. Maybe it's on this site which has a lot of other old ELO interviews: http://www.elodiscovery.com/Jeff-Lynne- ... iews2.html (Make sure you enable flash in your browser's site settings)

The missing part is from the 1991 interview (same website) at "Reelin' In The Years", hosted by George Taylor Morris. At 07:30
http://www.elodiscovery.com/interviews/1991-reelin.mp3

In fact, right after, the host plays the same portion of the 1983 interview, so really the whole sample appears here.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Sherbet Head
Just notoced the lead synth on Beach at Redpoint has speech embedded, Can be heard from the beginning right through the track.
Anyone know what it says?

Eagle Minded
Upon kind of fixing up an old record player I have, I've realized that a lot of sounds or samples might come from record skip / record spinning shenanigans. I say this because my player only makes sound when you physically spin the record, and there's lots of weird nifty sounds you can get from doing that and in reverse. I guess I just discovered what DJs discovered in the eighties lol. I hear this a lot in samples on MHTRTC and Geogaddi.

New Seed
NTFMTS wrote:Upon kind of fixing up an old record player I have, I've realized that a lot of sounds or samples might come from record skip / record spinning shenanigans. I say this because my player only makes sound when you physically spin the record, and there's lots of weird nifty sounds you can get from doing that and in reverse. I guess I just discovered what DJs discovered in the eighties lol. I hear this a lot in samples on MHTRTC and Geogaddi.

Of course. Sixtyten is the most pertinent example off the top of my head

Friendly Stranger
Pretty old and dead thread but i think that one vocal in Telephasic Workshop says "from the street", and it is DEFINITELY a British rapper or something like that. If you slow it down by like 7 semitones you can probably hear it.

bocpages lists it as saying "twenty cent" and i think that's funny.
"boards of canada synth tutorial" has appeared 9 times in your search history.

Eagle Minded
At the end of You Could Feel the Sky around 4:27 there's a repeating vocal sample that is heavily phased / flanged out, and to me sounds like someone saying "Take my Hand..." That same sound can be found on the old BoC Website vignette Seven Forty Seven / New Islands.

For reference:
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
^ always thought it said "it's in my head"

Sherbet Head
Not a sound but is this visual supposed to be the waco compound?
If not still cool

Sherbet Head
For a while a rumour was going around that the bros studio was inside a derelict war bunker, I think it's a play on that. It could be true..
I've often wondered if the picture of what seems to be a shed with a window on the cover of IABPOITC is their studio, Which wouldn't be far off what we see in the picture.. Alas no windows.. Unless the window is on the other side of the shed..

It looks like a secluded and hidden place anyway. Could be Waco related, But that looked more like a huge mansion. There's a documentary about the Waco seige, But be warned its a tough watch. I watched it about 10 years ago and it still haunts me what the ATF people did to those poor people. They subjected them to psychological torture for days on end trying to drive them mad before murdering them :(

So much for a beautiful place out in the country..

A beautiful place.

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
At best an interpolation, but I really doubt it.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Sherbet Head

One note sounds similar but besides that nah

New Seed
Hi Scores

I may be doing this wrong, but I just noticed that Hi Scores has almost the exact same intro as Bill & Teds Bogus Journey (1993). That slow bass synth triad with drums slowly fading in. Apparently it's only present on some older versions of the film (I noticed it from a VHS copy). Makes sense the brothers would be into a sci-fi comedy about 2 dudes tripping through the universe.

Movie intro here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFEZCfDJ_1Y&t=32s

Eagle Minded
steeldancer-x wrote:Image
Not a sound but is this visual supposed to be the waco compound?
If not still cool

I always took that as a little logo of their original studio in the Pentland Hills.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada