Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Wildfire wrote:
NineRubberCops wrote:Did he do the design for TCH?
I'm itching to see what some of the blurrier pictures on that album are.

No it was a website he designed for the TCH release I think, and the question mark was part of the job.

Wasn't there a Flash thing for the TCH version of the website or am I just mixing this up with the Geogaddi site?
Fly!

Boqurant
Wildfire wrote:
NineRubberCops wrote:Did he do the design for TCH?
I'm itching to see what some of the blurrier pictures on that album are.

No it was a website he designed for the TCH release I think, and the question mark was part of the job.

Ah. Was that site archived?
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Eagle Minded
Gonna pull this thread back from page 2 rather than make a new post for sample hunting.

Here's the counting voice in Telepath with the music filtered out

Most of the main voice is quite clear on the original track but there's a couple of new things in the background voice that seem a bit clearer than the interpretation on Bocpages. At 0:17 it sounds like a man with a German accent saying "warping, too few times" and at 0:50 where the Bocpages entry says "(Second and third voice) "Could I get the one voice?", "Nervous!", "Don't be nervous." it seems quite clear to me that it's the same voice and he's actually saying "pause it there...sssstop now" and then after the main voice has finished counting, you can hear a small gunshot or explosion type sound quite low.

I'm not having much luck with the sources of these but hopefully someone can hear something I'm not.

Dayvan Cowboy
Is the same sample played at 10:48 here the one used for the old website intro?

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:Is the same sample played at 10:48 here the one used for the old website intro?

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Woah that's really convincing! I'm sure someone else here more talented than I could verify if that's it.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

I've added the Flash Intro YouTube video to your posts. And yes that definitely sounds convincing me.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:I've added the Flash Intro YouTube video to your posts. And yes that definitely sounds convincing me.
Thanks.

I must have listened to "Jilted" over a hundred times and that connection never even crossed my mind until just then.

Heres the full song:
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
I've been trying to isolate and see if I can pick out any of the many chopped vocals in Telephasic Workshop. It's proving quite tough but I did manage to isolate and pitch up the "bordering Canada" voice and clean it up a bit. It almost sounds like "ordering Canada" or "order in Canada" Link here

Boqurant
I was listening to that song again recently, and swear one of the fragments sounded like it was saying "Olson".
Anyone else hear that as well?
Another sounds like it's saying "barrier", and it first appears just before the first "bordering Canada".
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:
Heres the full song:
phpBB [media]

That is fucking awesome that BOC sampled Vapourspace, I used to absolutely love that album. Seen them play it live at the Barrowlands in Glasgow once and it blew my mind.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think this Doxa Sinistra track (No Car, No Job) is the source of one of the samples used in a web loop. (Starts at 30 seconds).

phpBB [media]

Webloop:

phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
my first though with the Telepath was it being Count To 10 With Nobody from Sesame Street. If you know you know. But all it really is is just an interesting conversation piece but maybe some vocoder shit's been done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVktxm3p7gI
"boards of canada synth tutorial" has appeared 9 times in your search history.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I think this Doxa Sinistra track (No Car, No Job) is the source of one of the samples used in a web loop. (Starts at 30 seconds).

phpBB [media]

Webloop:

phpBB [media]

I merely lowered the YT playback speed on the Doxa Sinistra track to about 0.85 and they did sound fairly similar just with that. There's also the dated audio quality of the webloop to take into consideration.

Regarding the Vapourspace sample I mentioned earlier, I have a few follow up thoughts. Is the beat that starts at about the 3 minute mark the same used in "Whitewater", or are they just both using the same sample (I was also reminded of Aphex Twin's "Flaphead")? This led me to wonder if it's more aligned with BoC's M.O. to prefer using a sample lifted straight out of another track as opposed to taking it from a library.

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Chinook samples "Del Sol" by Stephen Mallinder. The beat from 3:47 is pitched up and probably rearranged, but you can still recognize that "ping-pong" type of sound in Chinook intro

Dayvan Cowboy
Dmitrii wrote:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Chinook samples "Del Sol" by Stephen Mallinder. The beat from 3:47 is pitched up and probably rearranged, but you can still recognize that "ping-pong" type of sound in Chinook intro

I can definitely see chinook in this. I think they've sampled Mallinder several times.

This topic is a good example.
Potential Sample Source For Triangles And Rhombuses

Boqurant
Dmitrii wrote:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

i'm also convinced SXT-06 (the tracker unknown song) uses the same drums. here's a quick mockup i did the other day: https://voca.ro/1bYfyOlisRxU

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm sure 90% of these are common knowledge here, but why not I guess:

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Hi, I've got some suggestions regarding samples (hence my user name lol), there are not so numerous (only three at the moment) but I prefer to make several posts rather than an unpleasant one to read.

So I'll begin with Dawn Chorus.

phpBB [media]

The kinda distorted, "psychedelic", "hallucinated" melody that we can hear from 0:39 to 1:05 and from 1:55 till the end of the track reminds me of that Men in Black scene, precisely starting at 1:31.

phpBB [media]

On the film's soundtrack, the song is called J Contemplates but because of the pitch, it's less evident to hear why I'm bringing this up.

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Next one, Julie and Candy.

phpBB [media]

For me, the main drumloop sounds very similar to that of Nine Inch Nails' Where Is Everybody? :

phpBB [media]
Last edited by Samplehunter on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts Quantity
And finally, You Could Feel the Sky.

In fact, I didn't even find it by myself, but whatever, have you seen this one?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... ne_in_you/

Though it don't seem THAT similar to me, I like the idea. Shoutout to this Reddit user.

In a way, it reminds me of that A Moment of Clarity sample ( https://www.whosampled.com/sample/66414 ... gn-Affair/ ).

That's all for tonight. :D

What are your thoughts?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada