Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
stripesworths wrote:Pretty old and dead thread but i think that one vocal in Telephasic Workshop says "from the street", and it is DEFINITELY a British rapper or something like that. If you slow it down by like 7 semitones you can probably hear it.

bocpages lists it as saying "twenty cent" and i think that's funny.

Could be 'Style of the Street' by Broken Glass. From Manchester, 1984.
Well worth a listen even if it's not. Ruthlessly plundered by The Prodigy for their track 'Girls'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVfyA7 ... l=gazsmash

Dayvan Cowboy
I was thinking about the voice in “XYZ” that says the title of the track. It sounds like a sample and I figured maybe it can from an alphabet singalong or something. I found on YouTube that the same woman who is sampled doing the counting in “A Is To Be As B Is To C” has a song about the alphabet. Let me know if you think the “X Y Z” in the video below is close to the one in the song. I slowed it down on YouTube and it sounded similar, but maybe someone could manipulate it to try to match the track…

The clip at 1:18: https://youtu.be/nYTV3bRSYQg?feature=shared

Eagle Minded
Front 242's track Gripped By Fear shares the same Ensoniq VFX patch as Mansel (string and choir sound)
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
YELLOW wrote:I was thinking about the voice in “XYZ” that says the title of the track. It sounds like a sample and I figured maybe it can from an alphabet singalong or something. I found on YouTube that the same woman who is sampled doing the counting in “A Is To Be As B Is To C” has a song about the alphabet. Let me know if you think the “X Y Z” in the video below is close to the one in the song. I slowed it down on YouTube and it sounded similar, but maybe someone could manipulate it to try to match the track…

The clip at 1:18: https://youtu.be/nYTV3bRSYQg?feature=shared

I'd say you're probably on to something

Sherbet Head
ParticleGhost wrote:Front 242's track Gripped By Fear shares the same Ensoniq VFX patch as Mansel (string and choir sound)
phpBB [media]

Sounds like your right friend, nice spot

Orbited insanitarium wrote:
bakedsodium wrote:it isn't obvious to my dumbass, which track are you talking about? the first one that comes to mind for me is the website loop flute track which was sampled from lord of the flies.

I think the track Sl Flk was comparing to was possibly Julie and candy, with the flute and melodic structure being similar. At least that’s what comes to mind for me.

phpBB [media]

3:35 -> 4:05

This typical mellotron flute definitely sounds similar to Julie and Candy to my ears.

Another potential epiphany today:
Julian Cope -> JC -> Julie and Candy
Julie and Candy -> JC -> Julian Cope

Maybe that's why they opted for a song title starting with a J and a C.

Julie / Julian (seems an obvious link)
Candy / reference to Julian's drug (ab)use

Julian Cope is mentioned in the interviews a couple of times as a source of inspiration.

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada