Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Anyone got any guesses as to which song has the "container of soup" sound that Marcus mentions in this old 2002 Cookie Scene interview? Given the time period it's gotta be something from Geogaddi or earlier. My personal guess is Alpha And Omega lmao
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:Image
Anyone got any guesses as to which song has the "container of soup" sound that Marcus mentions in this old 2002 Cookie Scene interview? Given the time period it's gotta be something from Geogaddi or earlier. My personal guess is Alpha And Omega lmao

Over the Horizon Radar was just Mike flicking a spoon back and forth in the inside of an empty soup can, and then they reversed it.

Source: it looks really funny when I picture it in my head.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

New Seed
Under the Coke Sign: Has anyone noticed what"s said right at the start? I can't make out the first bit, but I think afterwards it has a female voice saying, "...my God!". Can anyone verify or am I hearing bloody voices?

New Seed
Under the Coke Sign: Has anyone noticed what's said right at the start? I can't make out the first bit, but I think afterwards it has a female voice saying, "...my God!" Although I can only hear this on the vinyl version. Can anyone verify or am I hearing bloody voices?

Eagle Minded

I'm wonder if when he says 'container of soup', he means Tupperware as opposed to a soup can, and I'm fairly sure that's what was used for that hollow percussive sound in Gyroscope. :)

Dayvan Cowboy
Wildfire wrote:
I'm wonder if when he says 'container of soup', he means Tupperware as opposed to a soup can, and I'm fairly sure that's what was used for that hollow percussive sound in Gyroscope. :)
Given that so much of the album is run through a meat grinder of effects it could be anyone's guess. It could be one of the several beats playing simultaneously in "The Beach At Redpoint".

Sherbet Head
Wazhead wrote:Under the Coke Sign: Has anyone noticed what"s said right at the start? I can't make out the first bit, but I think afterwards it has a female voice saying, "...my God!". Can anyone verify or am I hearing bloody voices?

Wazhead wrote:Under the Coke Sign: Has anyone noticed what"s said right at the start? I can't make out the first bit, but I think afterwards it has a female voice saying, "...my God!". Can anyone verify or am I hearing bloody voices?

The first few words might be "What do you think" and the last few might be "Next Right" but everything in between is too garbled for me to make anything of. I also don't hear an actual voice saying "My God!", but there is a weird noise in the background that sorta sounds like that. Speaking of which, I just now noticed that the whole track is layered with what sounds like either the interior of a truck cabin or a mic set up to record ambient sounds at a truck stop somewhere! You can hear squeaking truck brakes all over everything if you listen hard enough, with that in mind I think the whole track might have been meant to represent a fleeting moment at a truck stop along the highway or something lmao

The first few words might be "What do you think" and the last few might be "Next Right" but everything in between is too garbled for me to make anything of. I also don't hear an actual voice saying "My God!", but there is a weird noise in the background that sorta sounds like that. Speaking of which, I just now noticed that the whole track is layered with what sounds like either the interior of a truck cabin or a mic set up to record ambient sounds at a truck stop somewhere! You can hear squeaking truck brakes all over everything if you listen hard enough, with that in mind I think the whole track might have been meant to represent a fleeting moment at a truck stop along the highway or something lmao

Also in the future try to avoid doubleposting, it always comes across weird and/or desperate no matter who's doing it!
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Posts Quantity
Jango9 wrote:
The first few words might be "What do you think" and the last few might be "Next Right" but everything in between is too garbled for me to make anything of.

I always hear "what do mean, Gigabyte?"

Posts Quantity
Magic Orange wrote:
Jango9 wrote:
The first few words might be "What do you think" and the last few might be "Next Right" but everything in between is too garbled for me to make anything of.

I tried to isolate the voice: https://vocaroo.com/16QYjogUYwxZ
don't have any new suggestions on what's being said, though :?

Dayvan Cowboy
Dmitrii wrote:
Magic Orange wrote:
Jango9 wrote:

Funnily enough, I heard "megabyte" instead. It sounds like there's some reversing in there somewhere, though.

Posts Quantity
rodox_head wrote:
Dmitrii wrote:I tried to isolate the voice: https://vocaroo.com/16QYjogUYwxZ
Funnily enough, I heard "megabyte" instead. It sounds like there's some reversing in there somewhere, though.

I tried reversing but it didn’t help. Maybe it’s heavily edited to make speech unrecognisable

Friendly Stranger
Dmitrii wrote:
Magic Orange wrote:
Jango9 wrote:

Could be "say goodbye" but sped up? I dunno. Alls I know is that it sounds like the voice of an air traffic controller sped up, but not pitched up.

Dayvan Cowboy
Dmitrii wrote:
rodox_head wrote:
Dmitrii wrote:I tried to isolate the voice: https://vocaroo.com/16QYjogUYwxZ

I tried reversing but it didn’t help. Maybe it’s heavily edited to make speech unrecognisable
Although I'm still surprised anyone was able to decipher what was in the background of In The Annexe. BoC sure know how to handle a sample.

Eagle Minded
BoC sample Tina Turner Nutbush City Limits for Cold Earth. Sample at 2:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALAWxatDoD0

Now I can't get them image of the two of them line dancing to the track in the studio.

Posts Quantity
About Sherbet Head:

0:03 "Bottom" or "Button";
0:10 "Stop the little war";
0:19 "Hey bussy", "Hey busy" or "Hey pussy";
1:18 The sound of a Sheep?;
1:59 "A call" or "Adam".

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

didn't spot this on bocpages but the fire crackling sample in beware the friendly stranger runs from about 24:03 to 24:17

Sherbet Head
ParticleGhost wrote:
phpBB [media]

didn't spot this on bocpages but the fire crackling sample in beware the friendly stranger runs from about 24:03 to 24:17

Damn, I'd always suspected they sampled more from this movie than just that one website loop but never noticed that in particular lmao. Well spotted, Ghost!

Posts Quantity
So cool, what a find. Makes me think whether there are any self-made field recordings on Geogaddi at all

Dayvan Cowboy
ParticleGhost wrote:
phpBB [media]

Bah I can't see this, Channel 5 have blocked it for me in the UK on copyright grounds. C5 always were the arse end of main terrestrial TV anyway.

Eagle Minded
rodox_head wrote:
Wildfire wrote:
Given that so much of the album is run through a meat grinder of effects it could be anyone's guess. It could be one of the several beats playing simultaneously in "The Beach At Redpoint".

Sure, but oddly I always thought the sound in Gyroscope sounded like Tupperware being used as percussion, so this would kind of make sense to me. but yes of course, you never really know what you're listening to with BOC given the amount of processing going on.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada