Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
One of the Old Tune songs (the way you show) Has a sample thats in arabic and not in english

Eagle Minded
Cosmic Manta wrote:Triangles And Rhombuses
==========
The Sixtyniner flute sound can be heard again at the end of this track. Also, this is completely irrelevant, but if you take a look at the vinyl edition of MHTRTC, the filter modulation on the first half of this track creates a nice pattern that you can see without the aid of a microscope. It kinda looks like diagonal lines IIRC, haven't looked at it in awhile.

I think you're referring to Telephasic Workshop.

Boqurant
ParticleGhost wrote:
Isnt it "Bordering Canada"?

That's not what I'm hearing. Sounds like Geddy introduced into the mix around 4:09. That distinctive pitch. I think I may hear Alex Lifeson in there, too. Then I think it's Neil saying "Order of Canada."

Again, Rush received the Order in 1997, probably as this album was being recorded and as media reports would be around with them speaking about it. And the voices are pretty unmistakable to me. Not exactly a mystical interpretation, but hey, Canada.

Dayvan Cowboy
Oscar See Through Red Eye

This is a really simple one... At 3:28, the track suddenly stops and you hear, what I've always visualized as, a 1980s-1990s era piece of equipment shutting down very abruptly. Not sure how they did it but it's sound and timing have always caught my attention.

Edit: ...and I've always wondered if it was a sound that one of them tinkered with for a day or two, or even a week or two, until it was finally perfect.

Eagle Minded
You can hear the Yamaha pss 460/70 on some of their older stuff, but very processed and mangled.

E.G: The drums (and possibly synth) at the beginning of Spectrum.
The 'Popsynth' preset for the main synth on Hi Scores (EP version),
The backwards drums and chords that go throughout the song on the Broken Drum remix,
The 'Koto' preset for the synth on Forest Moon. (not too sure about that one though)

Eagle Minded
Listening to Radio 4 this morning on the way to work and a broadcast about Sputnik, I am absolutely convinced the sample in The Beach at Redpoint is that of the sound signal of Sputnik.

May have been mentioned before.

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Friendly Stranger
Cosmic Manta wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l5ntzxs4kbnopk/possibly%20time%20apple.mp3?dl=0

possibly time apple?

What is that from?

Friendly Stranger
Cosmic Manta wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l5ntzxs4kbnopk/possibly%20time%20apple.mp3?dl=0

possibly time apple?

I think it is!

Why people call it Time Apple though? In the old flash website, it's written kaleidoscope.

Eagle Minded
Aesthetikx wrote:What is that from?

https://www.discogs.com/BBC-Radiophonic ... ter/207871

"Enchanted Forest"

Eagle Minded
Hexamerous wrote:

possibly time apple?

I think it is!

Why people call it Time Apple though? In the old flash website, it's written kaleidoscope.

yeah that confuses me too, it's really a bit strange.

Sherbet Head
from what i remember, and i may be wrong. i may actually be combining two separate memories.

but i think it either had something to do with a hidden title within the websites code. or the game that involved the samples. i think someone was able to separate all of the samples from that game and that sample was labeled time apple. something like that.

Eagle Minded
OK I got a speculation I'd like someone to check out, last night I was listening to Geogaddi on vinyl and I slowed some of the tracks down by 10%. When I listened to The Beach at Redpoint I heard within the main melody "I hear voices when I'm alone". It's being vocoded so you won't necessarily hear a person speaking, just listen for the syllables. Also, the spoken bit has some variations, so the line might change to "when I'm all alone". I don't know if you could hear this through headphones, I was listening to it through my stereo. Also, I believe I heard some speaking audio really low in Julie and Candy just under the mix, but it could have also been interference.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

Sherbet Head
rick7487 wrote:OK I got a speculation I'd like someone to check out, last night I was listening to Geogaddi on vinyl and I slowed some of the tracks down by 10%. When I listened to The Beach at Redpoint I heard within the main melody "I hear voices when I'm alone". It's being vocoded so you won't necessarily hear a person speaking, just listen for the syllables. Also, the spoken bit has some variations, so the line might change to "when I'm all alone". I don't know if you could hear this through headphones, I was listening to it through my stereo. Also, I believe I heard some speaking audio really low in Julie and Candy just under the mix, but it could have also been interference.

Very cool find, same trick is used at the end of Satellite Anthem Icarus but it's the song title vocoded..

Dayvan Cowboy

possibly time apple?

100% sample match (Valotonin mental music processor v2.1)

Dayvan Cowboy
Fireal420 wrote:from what i remember, and i may be wrong. i may actually be combining two separate memories.

but i think it either had something to do with a hidden title within the websites code. or the game that involved the samples. i think someone was able to separate all of the samples from that game and that sample was labeled time apple. something like that.

I could have sworn that it was already labeled 'Time Apple' on the flash game. Maybe just me, though.

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:
Fireal420 wrote:from what i remember, and i may be wrong. i may actually be combining two separate memories.

I could have sworn that it was already labeled 'Time Apple' on the flash game. Maybe just me, though.

Yeah, I remember the name 'Time Apple' being on the original website somewhere

I have audio from the old flash website and, yes, it was indeed titled Time Apple.

Slow down...

Posts Quantity

Sherbet Head
blankleader wrote:
ParticleGhost wrote:
Isnt it "Bordering Canada"?

That's not what I'm hearing. Sounds like Geddy introduced into the mix around 4:09. That distinctive pitch. I think I may hear Alex Lifeson in there, too. Then I think it's Neil saying "Order of Canada."

Again, Rush received the Order in 1997, probably as this album was being recorded and as media reports would be around with them speaking about it. And the voices are pretty unmistakable to me. Not exactly a mystical interpretation, but hey, Canada.

in telephasic workshop, bordering canada is what I have always heard as well

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada