Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
bungler666 wrote:The creepy "tightening rope" sound on You Could Feel The Sky Is Actually a fart.

You can clearly hear it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs3rWT1KZYg

Lol.. but for real though, isn't it a sample of corkboard being harvested?
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:
bungler666 wrote:The creepy "tightening rope" sound on You Could Feel The Sky Is Actually a fart.

You can clearly hear it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs3rWT1KZYg

Lol.. but for real though, isn't it a sample of corkboard being harvested?

I definitely hear a fart, and will continue to do so regardless of what you anti-poop people say.

Posts Quantity
oliveoil22 wrote:Found a sample in Wildlife Analysis, very end of the Sesame Street Alphaquest theme slowed down by 15.86 semitones:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

First, thank you, and congrats on this amazing find. Considering this is the first song many fans hear from BOC, it's amazing it's taken this long for someone to find the sample! It's also incredible that many of the samples people have discovered over the past year belong to videos that we were already aware of, just from different parts. Cheers to BOC for more amazing sleight of hand.

Second, I have to point out another Easter Egg here: See how "M" appears at the end of the theme for Alphaquest? In the Peel Session interview, John Peel asks "What is your favorite letter of the alphabet?" and, within a second, Mike responds "M!" M is the first letter of both of their names, sure, but it is interesting how quickly he was able to answer that question. (I wonder if they were discussing this topic earlier in the interview (or off mic).) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzO8nCJNEA

Eagle Minded
I've been wracking my brain about the origin of that end sound bit for years, it's one of my favorite sounds from their whole catalogue, so this is fantastic to read up on. I've tried to recreate that sound with tapes and synths for a few years lol

Is it possible that they also used that for the sample at the end of "An Eagle in your Mind?" It sounds pretty similar but obvi at a different pitch

Dayvan Cowboy
i really want to believe that the sound at about 11 seconds into the remix of Good Friday is from runescape (maybe hitting a chicken), but i think i can only want to believe it

Posts Quantity
What do the voices in 5D (aside from "Yeah!" and "What comes with, uh, chicken fingers?") say? I've tried everything but I'm still not sure.
I think one might be saying "woah".
Fly!

Posts Quantity
The backmasked kids voice in XYZ saying "Yeah, I'm gonna be a pirate and get lots of money" is from "Shipwreck! (1978)", also titled "The Sea Gypsies". The sample appears at about 8:30 into the film.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

New Seeds?

Eagle Minded
The "we love you all" sample from A is to B is REALLY bugging me. Been trying to find it for an hour or so now, it's driving me nuts

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:The "we love you all" sample from A is to B is REALLY bugging me. Been trying to find it for an hour or so now, it's driving me nuts

I don't have proof but based off of how it sounds, I'm pretty sure that's either one of them or a friend of theirs thrown through a vocoder and heavily processed w lfo and other effects

Eagle Minded
NTFMTS wrote:
funnnnpng wrote:The "we love you all" sample from A is to B is REALLY bugging me. Been trying to find it for an hour or so now, it's driving me nuts

I don't have proof but based off of how it sounds, I'm pretty sure that's either one of them or a friend of theirs thrown through a vocoder and heavily processed w lfo and other effects

If you listen closely, you can hear instrumentation like an organ and some horns. I'm fairly certain it's sampled from an old vocal group or soul record

Eagle Minded
oo interesting note, I'll go back and listen for that, cheers for mentioning that! Sounds like something they'd def do

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]
Fly!

Eagle Minded
Someone posted a recent Julian Cope documentary on the facebook group and the music around the 4 minute mark really reminded me of a Boards of Canada track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=falVe_vkejE&t=194s. It's obvious what it is.

They've mentioned Julian Cope as an inspiration in the past. I'm not sure of the origin of the music. It would be nice to find out who it is. Coincidentally Terry Welbourne from The Sinking ships who is now a member of the band Duir released an album named The Stout Guardian of the Door. Julian Cope recommended this album on his website it 2007. I'm wondering if they heard this album and then looked into previous releases? I dunno?

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohe ... pic/44476/

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:Someone posted a recent Julian Cope documentary on the facebook group and the music around the 4 minute mark really reminded me of a Boards of Canada track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=falVe_vkejE&t=194s. It's obvious what it is.

They've mentioned Julian Cope as an inspiration in the past. I'm not sure of the origin of the music. It would be nice to find out who it is. Coincidentally Terry Welbourne from The Sinking ships who is now a member of the band Duir released an album named The Stout Guardian of the Door. Julian Cope recommended this album on his website it 2007. I'm wondering if they heard this album and then looked into previous releases? I dunno?

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohe ... pic/44476/

it isn't obvious to my dumbass, which track are you talking about? the first one that comes to mind for me is the website loop flute track which was sampled from lord of the flies.

Eagle Minded

Dayvan Cowboy
bakedsodium wrote:it isn't obvious to my dumbass, which track are you talking about? the first one that comes to mind for me is the website loop flute track which was sampled from lord of the flies.

I think the track Sl Flk was comparing to was possibly Julie and candy, with the flute and melodic structure being similar. At least that’s what comes to mind for me.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CfdWJ6BjF0

Damn! Got there before me :D

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote:The backmasked kids voice in XYZ saying "Yeah, I'm gonna be a pirate and get lots of money" is from "Shipwreck! (1978)", also titled "The Sea Gypsies". The sample appears at about 8:30 into the film.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

What a wholesome film. Thank you for that. I really needed it. Interesting that the dog in the film is called mushroom and the recent 'possible' sample i found from Julie and candy Julian Cope is talking about a megalithic mushroom shape stone structure.

New Seed
[quote="Jango9"]There's a repeated sample in The Beach At Redpoint that sounds something like a large animal growling that's been chopped up and spliced together, possibly from an old nature documentary or something? The same track also contains what seems to be a kid yelling "Wait!", and I don't think BoCpages has acknowledged either of these.

Yes, sounds like a cougar from an old doc like Wild Kingdom. Great spot. (Yes people still read this site)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada