Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
I hear it now! Just like magic. Thanks funnnnpng! So much hidden stuff it's insane

Posts Quantity
funnnnpng wrote:
Dmitrii wrote:
funnnnpng wrote:Also, listening to 747 in reverse is so mind blowing. So many new details uncovered. There's these weird possibly sampled clicks and shuffling that go in and out, that i only really noticed in reverse. Also the queen sample "Radi-a-o!" that's used as the "bassline" of sorts in the track is a bit more noticeable.

at what exactly moment can I hear this Queen sample? I could not find it on my own no matter how hard I tried

Around 0:49 is when it's most clear. It's the pitched down voice of someone saying "ray-di-o", probably from radio ga ga. it kinda fades out when all the extra noise comes in

I don't think that's the Queen sample. You can hear that sound isolated in one of the drum tracks in the stems and it doesn't really sound like a slowed down vocal sample to me.

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
sixtyniner wrote: I don't think that's the Queen sample. You can hear that sound isolated in one of the drum tracks in the stems and it doesn't really sound like a slowed down vocal sample to me.
phpBB [media]

Huh, i swore it was someone saying radio
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Sherbet Head
I've taken a small interest in New Seeds recently. Listened to it a lot with open ears and I spotted a few interesting things.

https://vocaroo.com/1oV2rgunQ81u

There is a leftover of some voice in this sound which I assumed was a patch by the bros themselves but I think it is sampled from somewhere.

The beginning of the track has the same type of sound you used to hear when you lost cell reception when entering a tunnel or going near a transmitting antenna:

https://youtu.be/uPYyrS7fc7g?t=15

There are other various little sounds in this track, little layers of noise/signal bleed that comes in for not more than a second and then don't happen again in the track.

https://vocaroo.com/1mBKKa6AQK6a

This is one example of these ^

I think one imperfection made its way into the master of this track. at one point you can hear this little clipping of some sort. It's some interference. I often get these little type of interference when using my analog delay. it goes "crrr" for a small second.

https://vocaroo.com/18ZlmpDiTsOY

3:35 into the track you can start hearing a pulsating white noise in the left channel and as it goes on it becomes constant until the rest of the track.

at the end of the track you hear the little jingle, the one that signifies a transmission or something. The reason I point this obvious thing is:
My final observation of New Seeds is that going into the track you lose signal and some of it makes its way through barely and at the end of the track you regain signal.
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
This is a nice tool which uses AI to try to separate individual instruments in a song. Didn't try it much, I only found out that Gyroscope has a really nice synthesizer piece hidden reversed. It is not perfect but it somehow works.

https://www.conversion-tool.com/voiceseparator/

I'm curious what can you guys find. Also what's up with geogaddi and sailing/seafaring/diving themes/samples?

Boqurant
Pretty sure I just found a sample in A06 when sped up to 747's pitch. At about 1:59 into the sped up song, something pops up that definitley sounds like the Staircase Whip choir sample. Take a listen to both clips:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Image ImageImage

Boqurant
oliveoil22 wrote:Pretty sure I just found a sample in A06 when sped up to 747's pitch. At about 1:59 into the sped up song, something pops up that definitley sounds like the Staircase Whip choir sample. Take a listen to both clips:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

The description of this video states "Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares' (1991)". However I see only the original 1975 release and 1980 4AD re-issue. When exactly did this version of the track come out?

Luckily, whatever version this is, be it 1991/1975/1980, it still fits with it being "5d", as that came out in '92.

Eagle Minded
oliveoil22 wrote:Pretty sure I just found a sample in A06 when sped up to 747's pitch. At about 1:59 into the sped up song, something pops up that definitley sounds like the Staircase Whip choir sample. Take a listen to both clips:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Wow, this is interesting. I have been lucky enough to work with Lone in the past and he told me that he was chatting to Bibio about BOC and that Marcus had recommended he listen to "Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares". It's incredible stuff but I could never figure out if or where they'd sampled it. I'd say this is a definite match.

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Nice one! Just like back in the day, looking for Satan's messages :twisted:

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:I've taken a small interest in New Seeds recently. Listened to it a lot with open ears and I spotted a few interesting things.

https://vocaroo.com/1oV2rgunQ81u

There is a leftover of some voice in this sound which I assumed was a patch by the bros themselves but I think it is sampled from somewhere.

The beginning of the track has the same type of sound you used to hear when you lost cell reception when entering a tunnel or going near a transmitting antenna:

https://youtu.be/uPYyrS7fc7g?t=15

There are other various little sounds in this track, little layers of noise/signal bleed that comes in for not more than a second and then don't happen again in the track.

https://vocaroo.com/1mBKKa6AQK6a

This is one example of these ^

I think one imperfection made its way into the master of this track. at one point you can hear this little clipping of some sort. It's some interference. I often get these little type of interference when using my analog delay. it goes "crrr" for a small second.

https://vocaroo.com/18ZlmpDiTsOY

3:35 into the track you can start hearing a pulsating white noise in the left channel and as it goes on it becomes constant until the rest of the track.

at the end of the track you hear the little jingle, the one that signifies a transmission or something. The reason I point this obvious thing is:
My final observation of New Seeds is that going into the track you lose signal and some of it makes its way through barely and at the end of the track you regain signal.

awesome analysis!! posts like these is why i love browsing this forum

Boqurant
I can't remember the track at this precise moment but I definitely heard a sample when listening to BoC that sounded remarkably like a sample found in Joey Beltram's Calibre E.P. from 94 (track 4/Drome) which was released on WARP.

I have that"Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares" CD it's been heavily used by trance and house producers for over 2 decades.
A great example was Union Jack - 2 Full Moons & A Trout (Rising High)

Posts Quantity
I heard Minnie Riperton on the TV the other night and was certain Les Fleurs had been sampled in the Dead Dogs Two remix. I also found this instrumental version of it and thought there must be a sample in here but I can't fit it in anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuBFhRftAQ
Maybe it was used as inspiration?

Eagle Minded
Seven Forty Seven - final piano chord, here also at the end:
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
Mikey wrote:I heard Minnie Riperton on the TV the other night and was certain Les Fleurs had been sampled in the Dead Dogs Two remix. I also found this instrumental version of it and thought there must be a sample in here but I can't fit it in anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tuBFhRftAQ
Maybe it was used as inspiration?

The instrumental version of dead dogs two remix is some of my favourite work by BOC - definite inspiration in this track - thanks so much for sharing!

Eagle Minded
I posted this earlier in the SxT thread but thought here would be more fitting. I found this library track in the DeWolfe archives that sounded like oscar see through red eye. Here it is: https://www.dewolfemusic.com/search.php ... ode=F1AjEh

Here's the library track (Starfield) and oscar layered over each other.
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Some random thoughts about all these recent finds.

SxT started this avalanche of recent findings and every week we know a bit more. Samples or inspirations, recreated sounds etc. For some reason they wanted to uncover those secrets. But why?

I have a couple of ideas. All these findings are part of SxT as a whole project, almost like an album but quite a different format. I have to admit, searching for those things and finding something is so much fun it is almost like a new record in itself. Behind each song there is a hidden world of other cool music which they used in their process. Mix is interesting enough for a normal listener but for fans who know and love their discography gives so much joy. This is perhaps the most engaging and interactive music project I've ever experienced. If that was the purpose, well done!

It is possible that the whole story about recording process they explained in interviews over the years was just a ruse to avoid sample clearance. However they are on Warp who probably wouldn't let anything slide since it is a big label so this scenario is highly unlikely. All samples cleared (most of recognizable stuff I guess).

It seems like they lifted a veil off secrets that were kept unknown for unbelievably long time, considering how much usually takes for people to dig out the original samples. Next longest thing I can remember was maybe a sample for Shook Ones Pt.2 which was found like, 20 years later? btw I had that part of the Earl Klugh record cut out to sample but it was just generic smooth jazz to me, never recognized it! :lol:
Why now? First thing that comes to my mind is that BoC, or what we knew before as BoC is over. They are either done with the whole music thing (which I doubt is the case) or they are just done with past projects, cutting all ties loose and having a new, "fresh" start with a different project or quite different BoC sound. What could that be?

Sorry for the long post. Thoughts?

Eagle Minded
I think the Tape is a musical diary of sorts. Maybe if we go down the rabbit hole of every single artist included in the tape, we'll find more BoC-related gems, more samples and more hidden content to enjoy. They put SxT out to lead us to them, and why? Maybe they're leaving the old BoC name/brand, and are now revealing their deep musical secrets, which are these samples and records. Do you think the "secret weapon" they were mentioning was the CS-80, or the SH-101? Or was it really just these old albums?

It's almost like a BoC-deathbed confession. Like yeah, the show's over, here's all that we took from. Enjoy.

I definitely do not think they're retiring, but yes they are moving on to something different. We'll see in the coming months what that is, i think.

Sherbet Head
They didn't have a CS80 I don't think, you don't hear it on any records, it has a pretty distinct sound but of course could be wrong.
Rumour was the CS70m but can't remember where that started. That's definitely a possibility, the 70m sound very different to the 50/60/80 family.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:They didn't have a CS80 I don't think, you don't hear it on any records, it has a pretty distinct sound but of course could be wrong.
Rumour was the CS70m but can't remember where that started. That's definitely a possibility, the 70m sound very different to the 50/60/80 family.

Warp wrote a blurb on their website right before TH came out saying that the album features CS80. That post was up for about a day or two I believe then they removed it.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Thought these two are similar. More old tunes "samples" coming soon :)

Boqurant
More old tunes samples, Moz?? I'm excited :D

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada