Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
ParticleGhost wrote:
phpBB [media]

didn't spot this on bocpages but the fire crackling sample in beware the friendly stranger runs from about 24:03 to 24:17

Bah I can't see this, Channel 5 have blocked it for me in the UK on copyright grounds. C5 always were the arse end of main terrestrial TV anyway.

I am in the UK but am using a VPN so can see it, it's a clip from Lord Of The Flies.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wildfire wrote:
rodox_head wrote:Given that so much of the album is run through a meat grinder of effects it could be anyone's guess. It could be one of the several beats playing simultaneously in "The Beach At Redpoint".

Sure, but oddly I always thought the sound in Gyroscope sounded like Tupperware being used as percussion, so this would kind of make sense to me. but yes of course, you never really know what you're listening to with BOC given the amount of processing going on.
Gyroscope is also just a really weird track in that it sounds like there's more going on than there probably is. To me, the drumbeat sounds like a bass drum, followed by a snare roll, with the sound of hitting the rim of the drum playing quietly in the right channel. They could have used a soup can for that last one.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Friendly Stranger
ParticleGhost wrote:
phpBB [media]

didn't spot this on bocpages but the fire crackling sample in beware the friendly stranger runs from about 24:03 to 24:17

What the fuck, I literally watched this movie in the 8th grade and didn't spot either the website loop or this. Great find mane.
"boards of canada synth tutorial" has appeared 9 times in your search history.

Boqurant
Has anyone figured out where the vocal samples in Nova Scotia Robots are from?

Bocpages has a transcript but not any source and now I'm curious since the voice sounds familiar to me.
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Posts Quantity
Dmitrii wrote:
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Chinook samples "Del Sol" by Stephen Mallinder. The beat from 3:47 is pitched up and probably rearranged, but you can still recognize that "ping-pong" type of sound in Chinook intro

Here’s response from whosampled.com:

“Dear …,

Your submission has been rejected by a moderator:
Boards of Canada's Chinook sample of Stephen Mallinder's Del Sol (927150)

The moderator hasn't been able to identify this sample at the timings indicated in your submission.

The moderator added the following comment:
This is not a direct sample because the sounds are different and as an interpolation this is a weak connection. Thanks.”

Haha what

Eagle Minded
I agree. Sure it sounds close but i dont think it sampled from it at all. It's not hard to come up with a similar sound, so why bother sampling someone else's track?

Sherbet Head
Hearing Chinook again just reinforced my very strong opinion that the instrument they add in at the 1:59 mark is actually a sampled electric toothbrush or some similar tool that they're playing back at two different speeds lmao
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Sherbet Head
Some time ago, I said that I recognized a sample in XYZ as being from the film Fantastic Planet. I finally got around to finding the sample. It is at 18:42 in this video on YouTube.
phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
Not sure if anyone's said this before, BMX Track's "bicycle spokes/high pitched bleep" is present in Hi Scores at 1:38 and onwards: https://youtu.be/936C1lyp7ac?t=97

Late 90s BOC made a habit of sneaking in their Old Tunes on full releases, like Magic Teens being in Sixtyten.

Dayvan Cowboy
This is fab stuff! 8)
luminousdusk wrote:Didn't know which Happy Cycling thread to post this in and didn't want to make a separate thread for it..

I noticed the reversed whirring sound which starts at about 0.40 in HC, which is also in Bad Day starting at 0.38 is also used in Prime Audio Soup veggie rmx, most prominent beginning 3.48

luminousdusk wrote:Also in the Peel session Olson at the 0.30 mark is the same kid counting sample from the Dirty Great Mable Rmx at about 0.15

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=311210#p311210

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:This is fab stuff! 8)
luminousdusk wrote:Didn't know which Happy Cycling thread to post this in and didn't want to make a separate thread for it..

I noticed the reversed whirring sound which starts at about 0.40 in HC, which is also in Bad Day starting at 0.38 is also used in Prime Audio Soup veggie rmx, most prominent beginning 3.48

luminousdusk wrote:Also in the Peel session Olson at the 0.30 mark is the same kid counting sample from the Dirty Great Mable Rmx at about 0.15

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=311210#p311210

Can't believe i missed this thread, knew there was a sample thread somewhere! Thanks for clearing up my mess yet again lol

I've been aware of the Olson sample for many years just never got round to reporting it!

Sherbet Head
The patch for the keys in Boqurant at about 0.45 sounds almost exactly like the keys at the start of Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Sherbet Head
Think Kid for today uses the same patch at 1.55

Im pretty sure these are all the same patch, most notably for the small click at the beginning of the envelope, all three tracks have this same sound

Eagle Minded
Playing around with trying to identify some samples, I managed to pull this from Music Is Math it's from 3:51 - 3:54 where there's a voice sample people think says "purple" or "careful" - I've isolated it as best I can and it doesn't sound like purple or careful, in fact it sounds like a little sentence rather than a single word.

I know what it sounds like to me but I don't want to influence anyone - take a listen here

I've been searching for phrases that I hear and coming up with nothing. Hoping some fresh ears might be able to do more with it.

Sherbet Head
In the middle of the phrase I think I can hear 'lucky' in a Scottish accent. Almost sounds like it's trying to say something-something 'lucky bastard' but that's a bit of a stretch since the 'd' at the end of bastard seems cut off. But that's what my Scottish brain is hearing.

As for the first couple of words, at least 3 syllables anyway, I have no idea.

I would find it strange to hear that sort of language in a track by them, but then I'm reminded of the sample from XYZ at 2.15 where it sounds like a kid saying 'something-something ya dirty bastard ye'

Friendly Stranger
I was listening to Geogaddi a bit and I noticed a few unknown samples that wasn't anywhere I could find. Maybe some eagle-ear could track them down?

0:27 - three note flute bit on the right channel (you can hear vinyl crackle when it comes on so it might be a sample from The Incredible String Band, but I haven't heard that record yet).

2:28 - some looped and pitched down voice, really quiet, can't tell what it's saying.

2:51 - just an extra drum loop behind, nothing special

3:49 - drum fill

Dayvan Cowboy
stripesworths wrote:I was listening to Geogaddi a bit and I noticed a few unknown samples that wasn't anywhere I could find. Maybe some eagle-ear could track them down?

0:27 - three note flute bit on the right channel (you can hear vinyl crackle when it comes on so it might be a sample from The Incredible String Band, but I haven't heard that record yet).

2:28 - some looped and pitched down voice, really quiet, can't tell what it's saying.

2:51 - just an extra drum loop behind, nothing special

3:49 - drum fill

What song are you referring to?

Friendly Stranger
YELLOW wrote:
What song are you referring to?

I am an idiot sorry.

Julie And Candy.

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Regarding Julie and Candy's drums, I've already said that it reminded me a lot of Nine Inch Nails' Where Is Everybody?, a track that came 3 years earlier.

Sherbet Head
Sixtyten? Sounds like

"sorry..." -- 2:55, 3:12, 5:11
"I don't know" -- 3:01, 3:10, 3:19

Is this from messing with the Earth, Wind, and Fire sample?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada