Let's speculate on certain sounds and samples.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
ZosoCon wrote: I wonder if any of the Boqurant/5.9.78 synths can be duplicated with those factory patches?

I'll see what I can find, though I'm leaning towards no regarding the factory patches. I think you're onto something regarding the AN1X release date though, I want to see if I can replicate the patches on the P5. Repro 5 could also potentially replicate it as well, being that it is a fairly accurate prophet 5 rev 3 emulation. Also (taken from bocpages):

(Special Note): Yamaha's AN1x has also been quoted as being the blue keyboard in question. twoism.org have a thread on this, where some members have analysed the photograph, and by altering contrast etc, have stated that certain ports that only the CS1x has, are 'missing' from the back panel, thus strongly suggesting that the synth in question is indeed an AN1x. Interestingly, in recent years, numerous examples of AN1x programming to emulate/re-create BOC sounds have surfaced, demonstrating remarkable closeness to BOC, thus furthering the potential that the blue synth is in fact an AN1x. [2]

The CS1X blurb above it on bocpages links to a photograph from the Warp 1999 lighthouse party. There's potential that it's not a CS1X at all, but an AN1X. I know if I were performing live I wouldn't want to bring an expensive, heavy analog poly synth, especially if something like the AN1X sounds close enough to a prophet 5.

Boqurant
this might be a bit of a stretch but its pretty similar to me:

https://youtu.be/ql1YsF8IKt8?t=115 timestamped here at 1:55, in this NFB film with very BoC-ish music, there are some percussion noises very similar to what appears in the second half of B11.

Friendly Stranger
The drums in Music for Pylons were taken from Cocaine Sex by Renegade Soundwave.
https://youtu.be/uQIxqT3-Lbg
Easiest to hear in the outro to the song.
The Renegade Soundwave track is from 1987 so I reckon the BOC track is from around the same time.

Eagle Minded
I find it interesting that the "seeya later" break is used so many times in their music.
Let's do a rundown:
Used in both Hi Scores and Twoism's "Seeya Later" (obviously)
Used in both the Twoism and the Music has the Right to Children versions of "Smokes Quantity"
Used in "Iced Cooly" from Twoism
Used in "B02" off of Random 35 Track Tape

Any other songs where this little loop is used? It seems to be a particular favorite of theirs :)
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Eagle Minded
What I'm wondering is what drum machine that hi hat comes from...

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

Richard Pinhas, founder of Heldon (featured in Societas X). Have these breathing noises or whatever been used somewhere on TH or Geogaddi? Collapse maybe? Idk why it rings a bell.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:
phpBB [media]

Richard Pinhas, founder of Heldon (featured in Societas X). Have these breathing noises or whatever been used somewhere on TH or Geogaddi? Collapse maybe? Idk why it rings a bell.

Sounds like it could be either some of those growling noises on The Beach at Redpoint or layered over the time-stretched counting in Collapse.

Eagle Minded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0yrlW_Q5Lk
Thought this was interesting, made a video about it. It's probably just a coincidence but it's weird that four sounds from an old NFB film sync up almost perfectly with four small background sounds found in Turqoise Hexagon Sun

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0yrlW_Q5Lk
Thought this was interesting, made a video about it. It's probably just a coincidence but it's weird that four sounds from an old NFB film sync up almost perfectly with four small background sounds found in Turqoise Hexagon Sun

That sound in THS to me always sounded like someone shooting pool.

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

This track reminds me of Smallest weird number. Great channel if you like ambient and new age stuff.

Eagle Minded
I am not going to rave on too much about Societas X and how they put their entire musical universe into it and so on... From Geometrico, label owned by Esplendor Geometrico featured on Societas X. This guy has lots of similar tracks with flutes and breathing so someone might help me find the right one, I am 99% sure one of these was sampled for Opening The Mouth. Possibly multiple tracks combined. What do you think?
phpBB [media]

This stuff just keeps finding me I swear...

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:I am not going to rave on too much about Societas X and how they put their entire musical universe into it and so on... From Geometrico, label owned by Esplendor Geometrico featured on Societas X. This guy has lots of similar tracks with flutes and breathing so someone might help me find the right one, I am 99% sure one of these was sampled for Opening The Mouth. Possibly multiple tracks combined. What do you think?
phpBB [media]

I remember seeing somewhere that if you reversed and slowed down opening the mouth it would reveal a totally normal flute melody, with lots of layers. I'll try to find if its anywhere in here

Eagle Minded
funnnnpng wrote:
Moz wrote:I am not going to rave on too much about Societas X and how they put their entire musical universe into it and so on... From Geometrico, label owned by Esplendor Geometrico featured on Societas X. This guy has lots of similar tracks with flutes and breathing so someone might help me find the right one, I am 99% sure one of these was sampled for Opening The Mouth. Possibly multiple tracks combined. What do you think?
phpBB [media]

I remember seeing somewhere that if you reversed and slowed down opening the mouth it would reveal a totally normal flute melody, with lots of layers. I'll try to find if its anywhere in here

https://soundcloud.com/transmisiones-ro ... e-50-lpeed

Eagle Minded
It could also totally be the case that they heard that opening part of the track and decided to recreate it with their own flutes and own techniques. They did that with the Aquarius loop from Hair, and they say they do it a lot with other tracks. Who knows? I can't find any direct matches between the two tracks except that they both just sound incredibly similar conceptually.

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

This one is more similar. I'll try to look a bit more into his discography, maybe play around in a sampler, perhaps one will give me exact same thing like in that soundcloud link.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:
phpBB [media]

This one is more similar. I'll try to look a bit more into his discography, maybe play around in a sampler, perhaps one will give me exact same thing like in that soundcloud link.

Oh, wow. This definetely sounds like it could be it!

Eagle Minded
Ok yeah you found it. There's certain parts that match up perfectly with opening the mouth

Eagle Minded
https://soundcloud.com/funnnnpng/openin ... and-better
Aaaaand here you are!

EDIT: fixed it and added a more convicing/better reproduction :)

Eagle Minded
Great. Thanks for trying it out. Tried to play sample on a keyboard, it seems it is just one sample on three keys. However the only thing missing from this is S sound so you actually may be right that it was replayed and resampled. Who knows?

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

Wow Diving Station.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada