purported Growing Hand - Acid Memories clip

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
drillkicker wrote:I don't know about any of you, but I'm really getting tired of this shit. Until the albums get officially released (i.e. never), I'm just going to assume they're all fake.

I'm not too sure how I feel about these threads honestly. On one hand, I find it interesting to hear what all of these Youtube uploaders think could pass for old BoC material (considering I instantly write these off as fakes from the get go), and I suppose at least these threads keep the forum somewhat active between releases.

On the other hand, it starts to get annoying when you realise that people aren't just taking these uploads as nice sounding BoC fakes, but instead are willing to put their complete faith into them. Tonx is right that it should all be pretty harmless, but at the same time I do share the annoyance that others are starting to get when they see another group of twoism-ers get obviously baited. I suppose I worry that it's making twoism members look like a bunch of gullible fanatics, when there are plenty of us that are more than happy to just accept them as fake and forget their existence.

Sherbet Head
Skimming Stone wrote:On the other hand, it starts to get annoying when you realise that people aren't just taking these uploads as nice sounding BoC fakes, but instead are willing to put their complete faith into them. Tonx is right that it should all be pretty harmless, but at the same time I do share the annoyance that others are starting to get when they see another group of twoism-ers get obviously baited. I suppose I worry that it's making twoism members look like a bunch of gullible fanatics, when there are plenty of us that are more than happy to just accept them as fake and forget their existence.

That doesn't really bother me, but what I can't stand is how old this cycle is getting. It's just fake after fake, and none of them ever, ever get confirmed, even if they're never debunked. It's like BoC fans are so starved of new material that we've all become addicted to finding new fakes to satisfy our cravings, but it never does because it isn't the real thing, so we just start over and find a new one to speculate over until someone comes along and spoils it. The worst part is that even if a real one does get found, no closure will come of it. Nobody will come along and confirm it for us, so it will just remain yet another mystery itching us like the rest of them. This is the biggest reason why I wish they'd just go ahead and officially release all the albums. Even if the music isn't good, it will at least be nice to have all this confusion over with so we can focus on the music itself rather than these boring old mysteries.

Eagle Minded
tonx wrote:
Cupz wrote:Aaw, sorry to hear your work got missused like this. Cool little diddle, though.

Really, twoism, can we stop acting like a bunch of retards already? Threads like this are feeding the trolls.

As the messenger being shot here (I'm responsible for a couple of these threads) let me just say, I don't really care. It's fun to take these things apart, speculate about these lost recordings, and it's all pretty fucking harmless - especially since we've been able to expose the fakes pretty quickly.

The real tracks are out there. Someone who has them is possibly reading twoism. One of these days, we will all hear them.

When I see these threads I never get my hopes up in the slightest. However I agree that it's harmless. It's mind-blowingly easy to not even click on these threads if you don't like them.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont' think Tonx is even suggesting he thinks they're real by posting these threads. If you were sitting in a room with a friend who was a BoC fan and happened upon a likely fake, would you not at least say "hey look at this, probably fake" and play the tune? That's what these threads are.

We're lucky to have a community as active as this. Most forums are ghost towns.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Tonx is a good guy and I'm sure his motives are honourable.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
its like watmm in 2006 up in here with all these fakes! except from youtube now instead of soulseek. personally i can deal with it, it's not like it's burying very interesting important threads or whatever, people need to chill out and stop giving a shit.

Boqurant
dispellingafake wrote:Christ. Alright, so here's what this comes down to: It's fake. I made the track. I'm part of some shitty DIY music creators facebook group that my friend runs. I uploaded the track for feedback since I wasn't even done with it and it appears that some dickhead (honestly I suspect my friend, he was the one that told me about all of this) just stole it, cut it down, and slapped a false label on it. Someone posted a link to this thread on the youtube video comments. Figured I'd come in and clear the air.

proof: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0u32RawEGjA

shit man, that must suck. these threads are like hydra, once one is proved to be fake, another few appear. how about we just stop posting them, they're always fake and there's no point in them anymore. while it is fun, i agree, but when is enough enough?

Dayvan Cowboy
tonx wrote:As the messenger being shot here (I'm responsible for a couple of these threads) let me just say, I don't really care. It's fun to take these things apart, speculate about these lost recordings, and it's all pretty fucking harmless - especially since we've been able to expose the fakes pretty quickly.

The real tracks are out there. Someone who has them is possibly reading twoism. One of these days, we will all hear them.

The real tracks are out there, but not on the internet. They are sitting on cassettes, stored in safety deposit boxes or in someone's dresser drawer. This isn't a "the truth is out there" type of thing, R35TT was a compromise leak made by someone close to the inside to give the world a taste of those releases. You're not going to stumble upon it in some arcane corner of the internet.

It's been 20+ years, I don't want to wish death on anyone, but the best you can hope is that someday a friend or acquiantance passes and there's a poorly organized estate sale and the right person stumbles upon some of it. Other than that, maybe they will finally do something in a few years to pay for their kids' university tuition.

I am a big believer in "data wants to be free" in this internet age that we're living in, but not everything in existence has been placed into convenient digital formats.

Posts Quantity
drillkicker wrote:
Skimming Stone wrote:On the other hand, it starts to get annoying when you realise that people aren't just taking these uploads as nice sounding BoC fakes, but instead are willing to put their complete faith into them. Tonx is right that it should all be pretty harmless, but at the same time I do share the annoyance that others are starting to get when they see another group of twoism-ers get obviously baited. I suppose I worry that it's making twoism members look like a bunch of gullible fanatics, when there are plenty of us that are more than happy to just accept them as fake and forget their existence.

That doesn't really bother me, but what I can't stand is how old this cycle is getting. It's just fake after fake, and none of them ever, ever get confirmed, even if they're never debunked. It's like BoC fans are so starved of new material that we've all become addicted to finding new fakes to satisfy our cravings, but it never does because it isn't the real thing, so we just start over and find a new one to speculate over until someone comes along and spoils it. The worst part is that even if a real one does get found, no closure will come of it. Nobody will come along and confirm it for us, so it will just remain yet another mystery itching us like the rest of them. This is the biggest reason why I wish they'd just go ahead and officially release all the albums. Even if the music isn't good, it will at least be nice to have all this confusion over with so we can focus on the music itself rather than these boring old mysteries.

And this all kind of shows how BOC really has no regards for their fans. Seriously, whats wrong with updated from them a couple times a year? Why are they so adverse to any contact with their fans? The reclusiveness and mystique is fun but its become more annoying now than anything. I mean let the quality of the music sell your records rather than relying on this over the top, and now seemingly trying too hard, mystique. Its getting kind of sad

Posts Quantity
vanlorne wrote:And this all kind of shows how BOC really has no regards for their fans. Seriously, whats wrong with updated from them a couple times a year? Why are they so adverse to any contact with their fans? The reclusiveness and mystique is fun but its become more annoying now than anything. I mean let the quality of the music sell your records rather than relying on this over the top, and now seemingly trying too hard, mystique. Its getting kind of sad

i have this mindset every time i think about the pre twoism releases. it makes me so sad

Here we go again. Strap in people.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
vanlorne wrote:And this all kind of shows how BOC really has no regards for their fans. Seriously, whats wrong with updated from them a couple times a year? Why are they so adverse to any contact with their fans? The reclusiveness and mystique is fun but its become more annoying now than anything. I mean let the quality of the music sell your records rather than relying on this over the top, and now seemingly trying too hard, mystique. Its getting kind of sad

Why are they obligated to have a relationship with you beyond their artistic output? I'd like the occasional update too, but it's not going to affect my enjoyment of their work. Millennial entitlement breaks my heart.

Posts Quantity
Opothecary wrote:

Why are they obligated to have a relationship with you beyond their artistic output? I'd like the occasional update too, but it's not going to affect my enjoyment of their work. Millennial entitlement breaks my heart.

No one is talking about millennial entitlement A few updates here and there isn't a relationship with me or anyone else. Doesn't effect my enjoyment of the work either, I never said that it did. They clearly can and will put about as much distance between themselves and fans as they can. I'm saying that for a band who wants to sell albums, they need to have some sort of interaction with people other than themselves, otherwise why ever release anything? They want our money but want absolutely nothing more, and yeah, thats their right, but whats the harm in updates here and there? Nothing, other than to create this over the top reclusiveness to gain peoples interest it would seem. Im saying let your work sell your records, and not some allure of how mysterious they are

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:Millennial entitlement breaks my heart.

And there it is, the buzzword we were all waiting for !

Dayvan Cowboy
drillkicker wrote:

Millennial, or entitlement? True, I guess it's redundant to say both when one always implies the other.

Dayvan Cowboy
Opothecary wrote:university tuition.

i've got bad news for you...

anyway, saying entitlement implies millennial and vice versa is very unfair even in the context of "heated internet argument".

i think we can safely agree on: further old tunes will become available when and if the band chooses to release them, and that's all; and further information about the band's current status will not be divulged because of angry rants on internet forums. yes?

Posts Quantity
Techboy wrote:
Opothecary wrote:university tuition.

i've got bad news for you...

anyway, saying entitlement implies millennial and vice versa is very unfair even in the context of "heated internet argument".

i think we can safely agree on: further old tunes will become available when and if the band chooses to release them, and that's all; and further information about the band's current status will not be divulged because of angry rants on internet forums. yes?

Yes, dad

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:anyway, saying entitlement implies millennial and vice versa is very unfair even in the context of "heated internet argument".

This is my last contribution to this, it will probably be a little verbose and derail the thread, but...

I don't have a problem with them, per se, but their coming of age came during such a tidal shift in technology, and those ripples affected how music is consumed, and distributed, which then in turn affected how artists interacted with their fans. I think we all know this, but I guess it needs to be said to set the table. I personally feel like I have a foot in each generation, anyone technically minded in the 35-40 year range probably feels the same way about it. Close enough to say "I get where you're coming from" but far enough away and with enough footwork spent in the past to disagree vehemently with those types of expectations.

Anyways, I think this tidal shift and its cascading effect on the entertainment industry set up a permanent set of expectations among a certain demographic that someone 10 years older probably wouldn't relate to at all. My opinion of "entitlement" is someone else's "this is just how it is; why aren't you conforming to how people are SUPPOSED to do these things?"; I guess I've just described the seed of any given heated internet argument.

At least in terms of those types of expectations, these guys are old school. We used to go to record stores every week, socialize, bring the albums home, read the liner notes and all that. Of course, some people still do that, but it's the exception not the rule and is considered some type of quaint, hipster type ritual now. It used to be the only way, and we loved it. The artist was god and it was all somehow more special not having every move telegraphed months in advance.

I think this thread below is probably a great rorschach test. My kneejerk reaction would be "this could be a troll", someone else younger could (and probably should) look at it as an earnest but misguided request based on expectations set by other artists in social media:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13314

In the end, it seems asinine to be mad at someone for NOT doing something. If they had some large presence on social media, but were controversial or said things people didn't agree with, I could understand getting perturbed at them, but it's just silly to be outright mad about inaction and silence - not being told about what's going on, but that's the part of me that feels its more special to be kept at arms length. I'm happy to get your point via your music and your album art and so on.

Maybe it's mean spirited to try and paint a particular generation with such a large brush, but sometimes a spade is a spade. If you sent me back 200 years and asked me to load a musket, I couldn't do that. You could call me an incompetent future space witch, I'd be comfortable with that. It's not anyone's fault, it's just how it is.

People can now essentially shape their reality/entertainment/information intake to be as perfect as they would like it to be and of course that desire is going to spill over into other aspects of the artist/listener relationship. It can't be helped, but maybe it's something to keep in mind, at least insofar as understanding why someone else could say "Boards of Canada owes you nothing."

Boqurant
vanlorne wrote:Yes, dad

way to hand it to him there, debate champ. does your whole generation enjoy hanging themselves with their own rope? sad.
-

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:
drillkicker wrote:

Millennial, or entitlement? True, I guess it's redundant to say both when one always implies the other.

Both are about as meaningless the way they're used these days.

Eagle Minded
Opothecary wrote:
I don't have a problem with them, per se, but their coming of age came during such a tidal shift in technology, and those ripples affected how music is consumed, and distributed, which then in turn affected how artists interacted with their fans. I think we all know this, but I guess it needs to be said to set the table. I personally feel like I have a foot in each generation, anyone technically minded in the 35-40 year range probably feels the same way about it. Close enough to say "I get where you're coming from" but far enough away and with enough footwork spent in the past to disagree vehemently with those types of expectations. ...

fav'd.
preparation for a dive.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada