"they arent for sale": finding legit BOC tapes in the wild!

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
pretty cool info here, can't believe i missed that stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Joyrex wrote:
Opothecary wrote:Here's a thread about Wheeltower from a few years back (obviously not the one that disappeared from here)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11322

That's the Reddit thread I found.

I know, I'm pretty sure that was where it first caught my attention. Great story. Hopefully this thread doesn't get wiped, it's taken some interesting diversions...

I think it's fairly safe to say if it's not been removed now, it probably won't be.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Should have typed "wheeltower" into the cosecha site back when it was still up haha

Boqurant
Nottoolate wrote:Should have typed "wheeltower" into the cosecha site back when it was still up haha

typed all kind of stuff and numbers,

interesting do they collect the data?
Palace Posy

Posts Quantity
Joyrex wrote:The band would be doing themselves and the fans a huge service by releasing these mythical releases as a SoundCloud dump (aka Richard James/µ-Ziq stylee), or kindly ask the folks at WARP/Bleep to set up a Bleeptstore and let the fans who are curious about these to enjoy them. For the band, it would (hopefully) put to rest any irritations surrounding these releases I am sure they have had to deal with from time to time (maybe not).

Of course, nothing is ever that simple, and there might be rights/licensing issues involved with those early releases, but surely some of it is applicable.

I always figured it was something like two parts sample-clearing 1 part time required that was keeping them from doing it. While a dump would sorta cover the time sink side of it, the sample clearing would be a b**** I'd think. The part of me that's always rooted for a box set style release hopes that if they decide to do it they can at least get label help w/clearing so they could either enjoy the drudgery-dodging or put more time into the visual art side. Here's to hoping.

That new record store situation has been something to watch btw...those guys seem to be just wanting to promote their new venture, but it's stirred some serious emotion from us serious fans :twisted:

New Seed
Mexicola wrote:I think it's fairly safe to say if it's not been removed now, it probably won't be.

MDG hasn't been on this site since May 19th... even longer on WATMM
We are the music makers... We are the dreamers of the dreams...

Dayvan Cowboy
Joyrex wrote:
Mexicola wrote:I think it's fairly safe to say if it's not been removed now, it probably won't be.

The May 19th login was only because someone got Joe Kittinger to autograph and dedicate a copy of his autobiography and they needed a way to get it into Mike and Marcus' hands.

There was also some posts here a few weeks back that were deleted that I'm sure he had a hand in.

He's not around, but he's watching.

Joyrex wrote:

Correct, although he has been around plenty since that thread first did the rounds. ;-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Opothecary wrote:
Joyrex wrote:

There was also some posts here a few weeks back that were deleted that I'm sure he had a hand in.

Now I am curious what posts were deleted! :-) What were they about...without getting too specific I guess...

New Seed
herxagernsurn wrote:
Opothecary wrote:
Joyrex wrote:[quote="Mexicola"]I think it's fairly safe to say if it's not been removed now, it probably won't be.

Now I am curious what posts were deleted! :-) What were they about...without getting too specific I guess...[/quote]

No need to get a conspiracy theory...

If his role here is anything like his role on WATMM, then he’s mainly concerned with defamatory or incorrect information being posted by the band, and either removing said content, or making a correctional statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are the music makers... We are the dreamers of the dreams...

Confirmed. We don't have a bat phone for him/them.

Honest.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy

Dayvan Cowboy
Belated welcome Joyrex!
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Sherbet Head
nordheim wrote:Hello all! Exciting little thing just happened...

I just came across two original BOC tapes in the real world. I don't care if you don't believe me or not... They are the real deal.
They belong to a fairly well-known electronic musician named Todd Osborne and he had them in a little case in his shop, Technical Equipment Supply in Ypsilanti, Michigan. That shop name may sound familiar as they are the shop/label that lit up the music sites last week after it being announced that they would be the sole place in the entire world selling a brand new Aphex Twin 12".
I asked to see them up close after he realized I knew what was up with them. He pulled them out from under the glass...

I opened up the cases and my gal got pumped when looking close at the labels on the tapes were hand written and one of the tracklistings in the little case sleeve had "Trapped" on it, one of her faves... I asked where he got them, and quietly said something like "I have a lot of friends." I got the impression that he may be the first or second owner of these, so pretty close to the guys. I looked at the jackets and everything. "How much are these? Must be a fortune!" I said "Yeah, they aren't for sale..." is all he said. The last thing I said as I was handing them back to him was "Gosh, there must be like 100 or less of these worldwide." He said back "Yeah, probably closer to 30."

They are real and were a serious blast to see!

wow :shock:

Sherbet Head
sorry, but i just found out and I see this.. i was out of the forum for several years, but now I'm again. likewise i have never stopped listening to boards of canada!!

does anyone know if the tapes are still in the record store?

Eagle Minded
I call absolute bullshit on this.

Dayvan Cowboy
Honestly, I'm inclined to believe it. If they had some of the rarer releases, I wouldn't.

What would be so hard to believe that they have tapes that have leaked a long time ago? What would there be to gain?

Now if Play By Numbers was chilling in that case, the very fabric of time would distort around it.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
A Few Old Tunes was circulated in a wider circle of friends and acquaintances than the earlier tapes (Play by Numbers etc etc) to the best of my knowledge, so a genuine version turning up isn't as unlikely. Whenever someone claims to have Play by Numbers, Hooper Bay, Acid Memories etc I almost instantly, due to the ratio of fakes to genuine copies, call bullshit.

In this case I gave it a bit more consideration.

It has ascended from bullshit to (probably) bullshit

:mrgreen:

Eagle Minded
Considering this guy is relatively well known in electronic circles, released an official Aphex 12" on his own label, and has a massive collection of rare warp and rephlex releases and merch it seems pretty likely they'd be real. I can't imagine having that many connections and trying to fuck about with fakes lol

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada