is it all hoax?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
i thought i'd start a discussion regarding the growning scepticism sorrounding BoC's ultra 'rare' back catalogue.

the majority will say that they wouyld cut off their right arm to get their remaining one n the likes of hooper bay, closes and acid memories. but their seems to be a bit of contreversy brewing as to wether their back catalogue actually exists. we all know BoC know how to market themselves and create a buzz but i just wanted to get everyones opinion.

Dayvan Cowboy
i think they prob exist but the covers are prob different and the music is prob rubbish, or some fan boy in 97, made up the names and covers and sent them on the net.
or its all true as they have said but the tracks are not what they want boards of canada to sound like back then. prob sounds like the happy mondays :lol:
i have lost all hope in them ever being release to tell ya da truth. :(

Dayvan Cowboy
i wouldnt cut my arm off to get them... i would like to have them and if i ever get a chance to hear them i will be very thankful...if not then its okay... i have enough boc to last me a lifetime and i dont think they are finished by a long shot...

i am sure their back catalog is so much greater than we could possibly imagine...if all those covers are fake on fredd-e's page and on discogs then so be it... i have been fooled, stumped, joked, whatever...and good job to whoever has pulled it off for this long...so be it if they arent real..none of us can prove if they are or not so im not that bothered...

New Seed
Hi all my fellow boccers
I can assure you that all of these records DO exsist
& you are gonna think i am mad or a complete bullshitter when i tell you that
in the very very early days of ebay i saw everyone of those elusive records for sale , acid memories cd
hooper bay 12", closes cassette
They were all for sale on ebay i kid you not!!!!!

Prince monolulu.

Eagle Minded
prince monolulu wrote:Hi all my fellow boccers
in the very very early days of ebay i saw everyone of those elusive records for sale , acid memories cd

Prince monolulu.

ebay is evil
human electronics from the atlantic
http://nny.pixelnerve.com

Dayvan Cowboy
Newcomer "maersk" takes the credit for the controversy about the so called upcoming release from BoC's rare tracks, which he has no prove for it even exists! Why don't we all just wait and relax, if their is such a release in the near future the only dependable source is Warp for me. 8)

New Seed
live si tenretni

Dayvan Cowboy
Fudge.. and so it begins again.

Any relation to Prince Murat? :)

Wait a second..

Murat & Monolulu

Two more M&M's!

New Seed
Don't beleive me
ok no problem

Dayvan Cowboy
Silly prince.

No one (well, not me) said anything about not believing you.

I'm a believer!

New Seed
So you also saw them wwwjd sir?

Sherbet Head
Ignoring prince monolulu, who is having some fun (his name is a clear reference to princemurat, the individual on WATMM who posted two actual old tunes tapes for sale on eBay)...

The fact of the matter is the source of the pre-Twoism discography - by which I mean Catalog 3, Acid Memories, Closes Vol. 1, Play By Number and Hooper Bay - is the offical Boards of Canada web site. Back when www.boardsofcanada.com was still being run by the Cosmic Crofter (creator of the even older EHX site), these items appeared on the discography one day some time in 1999. They weren't up more than a few months before the squabbling on the IDM mailing list about whether they were a hoax came to a head, prompted CC to weigh in. He maintained they are real, albeit private self-financed releases from the early days of the band, most likely never distributed outside a small circle of friends - he stated that he himself had not heard them.

But as those adorable tykes on Reading Rainbow say, you don't have to take my word for it. Check out the old BoC discography from the Internet Archive, and read the Cosmic Crofter's announcement on the idm list.

Sherbet Head
Note also that the Old Tunes tapes are a separate matter entirely - they were not included in the original pre-Twoism discography, and in fact there wasn't the slightest hint of their existance up until they surfaced on the net - aside, of course, from those secreted "ultra-elite" traders who had them all along.

So at least it goes to show you, secrets can be kept in this day and age, at least for a time... so there is hope that the pre-Twoism stuff is also out there. Of course, no one ever claimed that there were hundreds of copies of the Old Tunes tapes...

Dayvan Cowboy
haha.. man what the fuck is up with my brain today..

see above.

anyway, you can click on the releases from the page referenced in the internet archive to get more specific info (which is, of course, all over every BoC related web page already)

Dayvan Cowboy
prince monolulu wrote:live si tenretni

great another half-wit inhere. :roll:

Happy Cycler
prince monolulu wrote:live si tenretni

Another pissant noob. Go tease somewhere else.

Dayvan Cowboy
prince monolulu wrote:So you also saw them wwwjd sir?

No, sorry. It's just hard to deny their existence.

I'll definitely keep looking :)

New Seed
Another pissant noob. Go tease somewhere else.

I am only telling you what i saw.
Acid memories sold for £58.00

Thank's for the freindly replies

Telepath
prince monolulu wrote:noob.

:roll:

Friendly Stranger
prince monolulu wrote:Hi all my fellow boccers

Prince monolulu.
Yeah, but that alone doesn't prove anything at all.

Ya know what?

I'll guarantee you all that none of those albums are legit. Because if they were I'm sure that AT LEAST one of them would have surfaced on the net by now. And the truth is, I honestly think that's why Boards DID put out a very limited, yet actual answer to "that whole early tunes internet hype" by releasing none other than the Old Tunes cassette compilations. To me, I believe it was their sly way of saying "to be fair, this is the shit that wasn't good enough for us to officially release - a comp of demos and leftovers for the fans to enjoy in replacement of these fraudulent titles." And if you still don't believe me, then I think you should also think for a good moment about how none of the tracks on the Old Tunes comps match up with any of the track times on those supposed pre-Twoism titles. Because if they were to make a comp of "Old Tunes," wouldn't it make sense to share the best of their rarities with the fans and not be dicks about it?

It's all bullshit, fellas! Sorry but I'm totally convinced at this point. If those albums were legit and were actually sold on Ebay or whatever, well then.. why wouldn't somebody post the shit? Because truly the only one who would want such an album WOULD HAVE TO BE a big BoC fan and I find it extremely hard to believe that they would turn around and be a total dick about it and not share the wealth. ESPECIALLY after all these years. ESPECIALLY when every motherfucker wants to be a hero.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada