Boards of Canada One

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Some artwork thing I found going thru the inter webs.
I wonder what its for.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Dayvan Cowboy
I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention.

Most likely fan art, but at the same time, I got that same feeling looking at it that I got seeing the cover of TH for the first time and it seems oddly fitting... Very oddly fitting.

Looking it up, it comes under artwork for OTV1. Probably fan art.

Sherbet Head
Valotonin wrote:I am not sure why this isn't getting more attention.

Most likely fan art, but at the same time, I got that same feeling looking at it that I got seeing the cover of TH for the first time and it seems oddly fitting... Very oddly fitting.

Looking it up, it comes under artwork for OTV1. Probably fan art.

May be a compressed piece of art work on france.warp.net

Dayvan Cowboy
Theory: Maybe they released a compilation of tracks that didn't make it to Geogaddi for their close friends and family.

Eagle Minded
I saw that image a while ago. It came up under Old Tunes Vol. 1 on Google.

I believe there was also a 'two' in the same vein. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain.

Here's a clearer version of it.

My theory was that they represented the first two albums in the series of which Catalog 3 was the third, simply being catalogs of their most recent/best stuff at the time. It is entirely likely the images were fanmade, however.

Dayvan Cowboy
This looks like it really could be BoC album art. And I know MDG mentioned they gave out many compilations beyond the Old Tunes in the early days... this could be the art for one.

Or it could be fan art. Who knows. But I agree with Valotonin that it’s very fitting.

Sherbet Head
I found some alt version of catolog 3 cover art on the same site Image
Even tho its 40 px smaller in dimensions, its compression is less noticeable when zoomed.
I then used this more usable jpg to make this.
Artificially creating a hi res catalog 3.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:This looks like it really could be BoC album art. And I know MDG mentioned they gave out many compilations beyond the Old Tunes in the early days... this could be the art for one.

Or it could be fan art. Who knows. But I agree with Valotonin that it’s very fitting.

It may be a photo hosted on the ehx site back in the day with all the samples and what not.

Nova Scotia Robot

That is the second one. I don't know the validity of the two pictures. I don't know their origin. I've had them for a very, very long time now. I got them at the same time I got the old tunes leaks back in 2004.

I doubt they are real. They just don't look like something the band would do.

Sherbet Head
747Music wrote:Image

That is the second one. I don't know the validity of the two pictures. I don't know their origin. I've had them for a very, very long time now. I got them at the same time I got the old tunes leaks back in 2004.

The font seems reminiscent of the font on remmi vol1 and trans Canadian highway.

Dayvan Cowboy
This artwork was definitely not kicking around on the original website. The Old Tunes weren't even a known quantity to the general public back then - they had those 3 audio samples on the website, and even Closes Vol. 1 and Catalog 3 weren't originally listed on their discography until later on.

I always thought that was strange to add those two after the fact, for these releases all supposedly being invented to add mystique to their backstory and Boards being apparently annoyed by all the queries surrounding them, to add 2 more unobtainable releases to the pile a year or so later seemed like a weird choice - but you know, as much as they claim to dislike attention, they have a lot of fun participating in attention seeking behavior as long as there is minimal effort attached to it (just look at their current Twitter game). I guess its a Gemini thing, I know how it is!

In terms of what we could hear from them circa 1998-1999 when that website was active, Hi Scores was obtainable through official means but tricky to find, Twoism was only a low quality vinyl rip and Maxima hadn't leaked yet.

I still remember that Twoism reissue being announced and thinking they would just keep working their way back through the catalog and maybe give us one a year...what sweet summer children we were back then...

Sherbet Head
Opothecary wrote:This artwork was definitely not kicking around on the original website. The Old Tunes weren't even a known quantity to the general public back then - they had those 3 audio samples on the website, and even Closes Vol. 1 and Catalog 3 weren't originally listed on their discography until later on.

I always thought that was strange to add those two after the fact, for these releases all supposedly being invented to add mystique to their backstory and Boards being apparently annoyed by all the queries surrounding them, to add 2 more unobtainable releases to the pile a year or so later seemed like a weird choice - but you know, as much as they claim to dislike attention, they have a lot of fun participating in attention seeking behavior as long as there is minimal effort attached to it (just look at their current Twitter game). I guess its a Gemini thing, I know how it is!

In terms of what we could hear from them circa 1998-1999 when that website was active, Hi Scores was obtainable through official means but tricky to find, Twoism was only a low quality vinyl rip and Maxima hadn't leaked yet.

I still remember that Twoism reissue being announced and thinking they would just keep working their way back through the catalog and maybe give us one a year...what sweet summer children we were back then...

Just like maxima and old tunes some day some guy is going to find hooper bay and leak it, Then a other guy will find acid dream and leak it and eventually over a time span of two decades they will all be leaked. somehow
Even if that dose not ever happen you could always look forward to a boxed set of old stuff contaning all the old albums.

Dayvan Cowboy
Flory wrote:Just like maxima and old tunes some day some guy is going to find hooper bay and leak it, Then a other guy will find acid dream and leak it and eventually over a time span of two decades they will all be leaked. somehow
Even if that dose not ever happen you could always look forward to a boxed set of old stuff contaning all the old albums.

Maxima is kind of different, it wasn't intentionally concealed in the same manor as others. It was used as a demo tape to send to various record labels IIRC so its leaking was almost inevitable. In the case of Old Tunes, I think that perhaps it being a compilation of the Brother's favorites from that period of time would indicate that it wasn't something they were as sensitive about having people hear.

In the case of Random 35 Tracks, I have a feeling that if they knew who released it, someone's kneecaps would have been broken. Not sure whether physically or metaphorically at this point, but I would imagine that something was done. That is the only leak that one would feel that they aren't comfortable having out there. I really doubt that the leaking of older tapes is inevitable.

We will most likely get to hear more, though. At some point. I have a feeling based on whispers and interview segments that they were going through the catalogue and organizing their older tapes.

Posts Quantity
One and two have been in the "Photography" section of the Pictures page in BOC Pages since 2008.
https://bocpages.org/wiki/File:BOC-photo-26.jpg
https://bocpages.org/wiki/File:BOC-photo-27.jpg
The section says "The listing below is generated dynamically, based on: Category: Photography."
I'm not really sure what that means, but i find it interesting that the One and Two are in that section instead of "Artwork by Fans"
My best guess that, if they are official, they were alt artwork covers for old tunes 1 and 2.

here's another one thing in that section though, that looks photoshopped by a fan:

also some things that look completely legit to me:
(was that from a movie or something? they were in the hi scores art, and i thought they were BOC's friends)

Boqurant
The last was on a warp site

Boqurant

Eagle Minded
747Music wrote:Image

I am 99% sure that photo is of the Trans Alaskan Pipeline that runs through Alaska and starts up in Deadhorse in Prudhoe Bay (I've driven the Dalton Highway which follows the pipeline from Fairbanks in Alaska to Deadhorse).

Eagle Minded
Yep, looks like the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline to me.

I don't trust any of this.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Eagle Minded
Those are fan made -- I made those in 1999 after downloading some Mp3's on Napster and making mix cds for them.

It is the Alaskan pipeline! I was making a website for the PACE oil field workers union at the time and got those from somewhere.

Next

Return to Boards of Canada