BOC included in Warp30 streaming event

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Btw. the event starts when Sun goes from Gemini zodiac sign (Marcus) to Cancer (Mike), almost exactly in the middle between their birthdays (27 May and 14 July)...

One's dream came true now when BOC play right in magical times of forest fireflies...

♄ope keeper wrote:I'm dreaming for a BOC meeting fans session somewhere by a June fireflies-filled forest - sweet listening party, sitting around a campfire and hanging out till sunset...

Eagle Minded
Really interesting comments and food for thought here. I'm so excited!!!

Think about how goddamn long its been. Six years; think back to where you were in your life six years ago and how much you have changed since then. Chances are most of us have changed a fair amount, the members of BoC wouldn't be immune to that. I'm not saying that we're all going to be radically different, but there is no denying that life has a way of throwing things in one's path that forces one to change their perspective, mentality, and overall sense of purpose. This begs the question "how will this period of change affect their music." I don't think we're going to see a vastly different approach in their musical style, although they have proven themselves to be competent in any direction they wish to pursue- the nostalgic, the lighthearted, the emotional, the apocalyptic, and so many other areas in between. I think we're going to see BoC returning stronger than ever, something like a boxer that has trained his heart out for an upcoming match. I think they're going to come out fucking swinging.

In the past six years, there has not been a moment akin to this. Like someone mentioned above on this thread (or maybe the speculation thread, I can't recall), it is funny how long waiting one week seems to be even after waiting all this time. If the waiting period was one big wave we were all surfing, then we're just about at the tippy-top of the crest about to start the thrill of picking up momentum. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a crazy music fan, for it is the biggest passion in my life. Hell, I have been weird enough to listen to "I Will Get It Tattooed" while getting a BoC related tattoo. I'm sure WATMM would definitely brand me as an eccentric, off-the-wall fan, lol. I would be among the first to argue they'd be correct in that assumption, I definitely seem to be a little bit too "poetic" (a professor ripped on me for exactly this once back in university for my responses to open-ended questions) and perhaps I read a bit too far into matters. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But it cannot be denied that whether or not one is an extreme fan like me or a casual listener, that there is going to be something for all types of fans to enjoy during this event.

The more I think about it, the less likely I am to believe that this is going to be an underwhelming event. BoC wouldn't have agreed to this event in the first place if they were just going to "wing it" or put forth a bunch of things we've heard before. They're going to have done their homework and they know full well that they are about to step up to the plate, ready to blast out a home-run. They know what they've signed up for. When they come out of the shadows, they know damn well that all eyes will be on them. They are the type that meticulously plan each and every move. I feel like we're all in a phase where we dropped some metaphorical LSD and we're all in a strange, antsy come-up phase. As soon as the 21st starts is when it kicks in and we're tripping. Until then, we're unsure of what to expect, and that is normal. Trust the process. BoC knows very well that their music is bigger than them. It's very powerful. It's art. They've said before that they'd be "making music even if no one was listening" but I think by now they know the impact they've had on people all around the globe- people from all walks of life; people like you and me. This is their time to give a voice to yet another musical translation of "the inevitable stage that lies in front of us." If you're still reading this, then I thank you for taking the time out of your day to sift through my often bizarre thoughts.

Ready? Let's go.

Dayvan Cowboy
"Unreleased music from Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, more..."
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/ ... H_tBKONq4A

Is this confirmation that we will be getting previously unreleased material from BoC?
I had no doubt that this is the case, but just to further solidify the fact to those that are (understandably) skeptical as to whether it wouldn't just be tracks from the back catalogue.

Also, Mozart really has a way with words. Beautifully stated.

Dayvan Cowboy
Totally agree Mozart- if they’re stepping out of the shadows to take part in a big event like this, whatever they give us is going to be really good.

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Btw. the event starts when Sun goes from Gemini zodiac sign (Marcus) to Cancer (Mike), almost exactly in the middle between their birthdays (27 May and 14 July)...

The rest of your post went on a bit of a tangent, but hey.
Given that the first track of TH was Gemini and was released at such a time as to be under the sign of Gemini, this is potentially of interest. Although this isn't a purely BoC event and I am not sure as to what control they had over the timing.

Perhaps the next album will be dropping under the Cancer sign.

Eagle Minded
I'll be having a three day party for all this, can't wait. Hopefully Warp is doing a 30th anniversary box set. Warp 20 was awesome.

Sherbet Head
I couldn't resist the urge to login just one more time. Hope unreleased 7 from atp is on the stream.
this thread is full of shenanigans.

Sherbet Head
Just had this little epiphany. I realised that although I was this huge BoC fan, I had never listened to Tomorrow's Harvest in one sitting.

While listening to Transmisiones Ferox I realised the girl is saying 2019. She goes "twenty nine twenty nine twenty twenty nine nine teen twenty-nine twenty-nine nineteen nineteen nineteen nineteen" and so on.

Is it possible that we had right in front of us the year of release of the next album right in front of us the whole time?

Kinda weird considering that Cosecha Transmisiones Told us the release of TH, it would make sense for Transmissiones Ferox to tell us the release of the next album.

Or maybe im going mad as always :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:Just had this little epiphany. I realised that although I was this huge BoC fan, I had never listened to Tomorrow's Harvest in one sitting.

While listening to Transmisiones Ferox I realised the girl is saying 2019. She goes "twenty nine twenty nine twenty twenty nine nine teen twenty-nine twenty-nine nineteen nineteen nineteen nineteen" and so on.

Is it possible that we had right in front of us the year of release of the next album right in front of us the whole time?

Kinda weird considering that Cosecha Transmisiones Told us the release of TH, it would make sense for Transmissiones Ferox to tell us the release of the next album.

I had always heard it as "1995" or "1999" being repeated by a tape delay (or something akin)
It would be interesting if it was 2019, though, very interesting.

Sherbet Head
Valotonin wrote:
TheStatPow wrote:Just had this little epiphany. I realised that although I was this huge BoC fan, I had never listened to Tomorrow's Harvest in one sitting.

I had always heard it as "1995" or "1999" being repeated by a tape delay (or something akin)

I retook a few listen, and you can hear it Clear as day that the word "twenty" is at least uttered

Heres a repeated clip I made to highlight it

https://clyp.it/hwmq1isa
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:I retook a few listen, and you can hear it Clear as day that the word "twenty" is at least uttered

That is pretty amazing.
It can be heard as both, it took a while to click as I was still hearing "nineteen" and now I am physically unable to hear it as such, it is always twenty. Is this one of those subjective aural illusions where EQ plays a role, another "Yanni or Laurel" ?

It would be interesting if it was intentional as this is several years before that kind of aural illusion was temporarily viral.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:

I recently recorded TH to reel to reel and noticed that a few of the “subliminal samples” seemed to “pop-out” more.... especially that 19xx sample.... On my tape you can clearly hear what she is saying.... “1999”.... and it gets said with a slight shift in cadence/delay shift when the vocal loop repeats... hence why it sounds like it says two different things.... most likely it was in reference to some major event that occured globally or politically somewhere in that year.... I will post a clip sometime soon or even my entire tape rip of that album.... definitely has a different feel on tape

Eagle Minded
TheStatPow wrote:
Valotonin wrote:

I retook a few listen, and you can hear it Clear as day that the word "twenty" is at least uttered

on my tape rip... it is more clear and pops out.... it says 1999

Dayvan Cowboy
I am personally still convinced that it is 1995 or 1999 as I have a vinyl rip in a fairly decent format, but I have listened with my studio headphones more often than not and am torn between 1995 and 1999. Five and nine are fairly interchangable given the type of sample.

I hadn't been able to hear anything remotely resembling twenty until playing that clip a few times, it sounds like it is saying "Twenty two" repeatedly which is weird seeing as, in the full track it is clearly a 199-9/5 and I can't hear anything else. It might be an effect of the vocals and some of the background sounds for that particular section. Probably unintended, but interesting.

I get what Soul_Slip is getting at, though. sometimes the individual nuances of a particular format or machine (even if the source was originally digital) can bring out elements of a track that were previously more buried in a digital format. There are some samples that I was only able to make out previously on my cassette rips. I have never recorded any BoC to my 1/4" reels, though. Maybe I should as it sounds like you get a lot of positive listening out of it.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:I am personally still convinced that it is 1995 or 1999 as I have a vinyl rip in a fairly decent format, but I have listened with my studio headphones more often than not and am torn between 1995 and 1999. Five and nine are fairly interchangable given the type of sample.

I hadn't been able to hear anything remotely resembling twenty until playing that clip a few times, it sounds like it is saying "Twenty two" repeatedly which is weird seeing as, in the full track it is clearly a 199-9/5 and I can't hear anything else. It might be an effect of the vocals and some of the background sounds for that particular section. Probably unintended, but interesting.

I get what Soul_Slip is getting at, though. sometimes the individual nuances of a particular format or machine (even if the source was originally digital) can bring out elements of a track that were previously more buried in a digital format. There are some samples that I was only able to make out previously on my cassette rips. I have never recorded any BoC to my 1/4" reels, though. Maybe I should as it sounds like you get a lot of positive listening out of it.
yes exactly... imho the tape medium can better output the actual analog field that we as humans actually perceive.... in my understanding it is the difference from a diode and circuit (digital) replicating an analog waveform to an electron (tape) physcially/“energetically” aligned with an actual peak and dip from a waveform in physical space and time as being the reason that tape can sometimes “pull” hidden nuances that are harder to perceive in the digital format.... same thing happened to me when I recorded “Darkside of the Moon” by Pink Floyd onto 1/4” reel to reel.... I am saving up for a 2” all tube Ampex studio reel to reel soon and am curious if the thicker tape width will add anything due to expanded headroom and noise shelf

Eagle Minded
Soul_Slip wrote:
Valotonin wrote:I am personally still convinced that it is 1995 or 1999 as I have a vinyl rip in a fairly decent format, but I have listened with my studio headphones more often than not and am torn between 1995 and 1999. Five and nine are fairly interchangable given the type of sample.

yes exactly... imho the tape medium can better output the actual analog field that we as humans actually perceive.... in my understanding it is the difference from a diode and circuit (digital) replicating an analog waveform to an electron (tape) physcially/“energetically” aligned with an actual peak and dip from a waveform in physical space and time as being the reason that tape can sometimes “pull” hidden nuances that are harder to perceive in the digital format.... same thing happened to me when I recorded “Darkside of the Moon” by Pink Floyd onto 1/4” reel to reel.... I am saving up for a 2” all tube Ampex studio reel to reel soon and am curious if the thicker tape width will add anything due to expanded headroom and noise shelf

2" Tube based Tape Machines don't exist, unfortunately

Dayvan Cowboy
ParticleGhost wrote:2" Tube based Tape Machines don't exist, unfortunately

I find that difficult to believe as 2" reels have been around for professional recording since before transistor based reel to reels.
I could be wrong, though.

Dayvan Cowboy
"In 1967 Ampex built its first prototype 16-track professional audio recorder at the request of Mirasound Studios in New York City. This machine used reels of 2-inch tape on a modified tape transport system originally built for video recording."
If that was '67, it would have likely been tube/valve based.

Eagle Minded
Here's how I see it -- BoC has been with Warp a long ass time, there's no bad blood, this is a legit milestone in the lives of everyone involved in the label, and BoC are known to have a metric shit ton of unreleased material on hand... why *wouldn't* they share some of it for this occasion?
preparation for a dive.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:"In 1967 Ampex built its first prototype 16-track professional audio recorder at the request of Mirasound Studios in New York City. This machine used reels of 2-inch tape on a modified tape transport system originally built for video recording."
If that was '67, it would have likely been tube/valve based.

Absolutely and I have been looking into it for a while and I may end up building my own custom deck complete with full tube circuit and I may pick up multiple headstacks... and not to mention that many 1/4” decks can also accept and record to 1/2” as well which gives a headroom boost.... I found some very good reel to reel customization websites and tutorials.... will be a huge project but super fun!.... now back to BoC!
I keep seeing articles talking about “Experimental Free-form Radio...” now what could that be??? Improv???? I really hope so! I really hope they play live

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada