BOC included in Warp30 streaming event

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
lol at all the Twitter chat

It's a million miles from the boc I grew up with

Pmsl at the idea that when their next album drops, they will spend the hour after release on Twitter liking random folks tweets about how it was "quite good"

More likely some cunt from warp records is logged in their account

Friendly Stranger
Magrathea wrote:Ok I am late to the show, left when there were 30 pages, now at 96, can someone give me a quick resumé? Any new BOC, any old BOC, any reference to a secret show, listening party, anything?

Thank you

They created a two-hour mixtape that felt like an Alice In Wonderland adventure through their own record collection. The tape was collaged together with original transitions and processing that made the whole experience feel like some kind of alchemical radio show that was so distinctly BOC.
Last edited by dustbowl27 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eagle Minded
I recorded the whole thing except the middle super dope russian female voice overlay song i missed because I was flipping the tape... The mix sounds amazing on my Akai M-8 and either tonight or tomorrow I will post my recording of it... cheers everyone! That was the best mixtape I have ever heard... the songs they chose were perfect and the interludes blew me away... I really hope this is released on vinyl someday as I would gladly put this next to Tomorrow’s Harvest and MHTRTC anyday :) what a blessed weekend of amazing artists and people coming together...
Thank you Mike and Marcus and thank you Warp!
Last edited by Soul_Slip on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Girls and Guys,

Haven't posted in so long, and life is so different now. It's amazing to be here and see all the activity. I took a boombox to my local body of water, streamed NTS, and did all the things BOC talk about doing outside.

But when the thunder breaks, it breaks for you and me.

Dayvan Cowboy
Elephant Face wrote:Girls and Guys,

Haven't posted in so long, and life is so different now. It's amazing to be here and see all the activity. I took a boombox to my local body of water, streamed NTS, and did all the things BOC talk about doing outside.

Beautiful. I hope you had a truly enchanting experience.

Dayvan Cowboy
A considerable amount of the music played this evening seemed to have a few magic touches. It wasn't pure playback for the vast majority of them. I know we aren't talking about a BoC level of remix with immense time dedicated and the track being almost completely their own, whilst being faithful and respectful of the original of course, but they were given a considerable level of care this evening. I don't wish to say it as a given, but many of them seemed to have additional samples and were certainly sent through their own vast array of eclectic equipment.

The transitions... those transitions were absolutely inspired. I recall one of the vocal elements of a track blending seamlessly into an instrumental sample of an almost identical texture in the following track to the point at which psychologically I had almost began to imagine that the person behind the vocals was physically transmorphing into an instrument.

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:I recorded the whole thing except the middle super dope russian female voice overlay song i missed because I was flipping the tape... The mix sounds amazing on my Akai M-8 and either tonight or tomorrow I will post my recording of it... cheers everyone! That was the best mixtape I have ever heard... the songs they chose were perfect and the interludes blew me away... I really hope this is released on vinyl someday as I would gladly put this next to Tomorrow’s Harvest and MHTRTC anyday :) what a blessed weekend of amazing artists and people coming together...

I am looking forward to hearing it!
Thank you for all of the dedication you have put into recording these.
For the BoC segment, how many tapes did it require in the end? I am curious.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:A considerable amount of the music played this evening seemed to have a few magic touches. It wasn't pure playback for the vast majority of them. I know we aren't talking about a BoC level of remix with immense time dedicated and the track being almost completely their own, whilst being faithful and respectful of the original of course, but they were given a considerable level of care this evening. I don't wish to say it as a given, but many of them seemed to have additional samples and were certainly sent through their own vast array of eclectic equipment.

The transitions... those transitions were absolutely inspired. I recall one of the vocal elements of a track blending seamlessly into an instrumental sample of an almost identical texture in the following track to the point at which psychologically I had almost began to imagine that the person behind the vocals was physically transmorphing into an instrument.

Piggy-backing off of your sentiments, I think of an art museum/collection/exhibition - the art is what it is, speaks on it's own. Possibly timeless, often-times without the support of it's Progenitor. In conjunction with the art of creation, is that of selection. Unthoughtful curating can render meaningful works lifeless. Think about your most boring history/art/biology teacher...

Curating is an artform unto itself. One work, adjacent to another, gives each a new meaning. And so forth, and so forth.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:
Soul_Slip wrote:I recorded the whole thing except the middle super dope russian female voice overlay song i missed because I was flipping the tape... The mix sounds amazing on my Akai M-8 and either tonight or tomorrow I will post my recording of it... cheers everyone! That was the best mixtape I have ever heard... the songs they chose were perfect and the interludes blew me away... I really hope this is released on vinyl someday as I would gladly put this next to Tomorrow’s Harvest and MHTRTC anyday :) what a blessed weekend of amazing artists and people coming together...

I am looking forward to hearing it!
Thank you for all of the dedication you have put into recording these.
For the BoC segment, how many tapes did it require in the end? I am curious.
i was running tape at 1 7/8 ips and it required 1.5 tapes roughly... the tubes got very hot and the machine needed to cool down for a while right after... my band then recorded an amazing little 4 track EP that was very BoCish and we are really proud of it... it was a great ending to this awesome weekend.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:A considerable amount of the music played this evening seemed to have a few magic touches. It wasn't pure playback for the vast majority of them. I know we aren't talking about a BoC level of remix with immense time dedicated and the track being almost completely their own, whilst being faithful and respectful of the original of course, but they were given a considerable level of care this evening. I don't wish to say it as a given, but many of them seemed to have additional samples and were certainly sent through their own vast array of eclectic equipment.

Yeah, the seamlessness of the transitions really points to how far beyond “just playing tracks they like” this mix went. It was a top-notch DJ set all their own style complete with mash-ups, sound collage,subliminal/back-masked elements, etc. Felt very reminiscent of the Hell Interface/Old Tunes stuff.

Dayvan Cowboy
This was nothing short of amazing. Let's hope they put out something soon!
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Posts Quantity
I think if someone had told me at 8.59pm yesterday that I was about to hear a two-hour mix of Boards' influences, interspersed with bits and pieces that may or may not be them, I'd have been disappointed.

As it is, I loved it. The music was weird, wonderful, and almost entirely new to me. I got the chance to properly geek out again – six years after the amazing journey that was the TH release – with a bunch of internet people around the world who I'm really only connected to through loving this band. And we know now that the brothers are still out there, doing something at least.

Obviously I'd love some new music, but this was just great. Once I got over the disappointment from the unrealistic hope that I was about to hear two hours of brand new stuff (which didn't take long), it really surpassed my expectations.

Eagle Minded
I thought it was fantastic, a real journey.

The predominant feeling i got was that despite being someone with fairly eclectic taste and broad knowledge of music, what occurs to me is that there is just tons and tons of amazing music out there that i've never heard and would never hear unless someone brought it to my attention. It's made me want to go digging.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Sherbet Head
I know it's cheeky but does anyone have a link to DL the show? Whoever recorded is doing a stellar public service ;)
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
Geogandhi wrote:I know it's cheeky but does anyone have a link to DL the show? Whoever recorded is doing a stellar public service ;)

http://uk.thelion.me/nts/

Sherbet Head
Oh nice, the whole thing!
Just one thing I think i'm being stupid but how do I DL it? just takes me to a play timeline screen
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Posts Quantity

Posts Quantity
Truly an impressive set. If I'm not mistaken this is the first time we hear a mixtape/set from the brothers? It's nice to be able to know what kind of stuff they listen to, how it influences them. The mix was really on point, I really liked the whole narrative of it and the diversity of all the tracks. And to have some interludes with recognizable BoC sounds was a treat.

What I really liked in the end is how it went from easy and chill songs to more obscure, ambient and hard stuff, while always keeping that BOC mood to it. The ending was out of this world.

Dayvan Cowboy
Just for the record, in the case of anyone actually having the patience to go back and read which is unlikely, earlier in this thread I claimed I didn't like Rodox Video.

I adore Rodox Video.

I am not much of a fan of P.C which was the track I intended to refer to, despite the fact I can appreciate its satirical nature.

Again, just for anyone who undergoes the feat of sifting through tens of pages of people writing as the stream is happening and assumes I don't like Rodox Video.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada