Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
WaitingFor_22 wrote:I'm really trying to find the one at the 49 minute mark, seems like the chorus at the end is saying: "it needs no explanation to those who know, you don't need to explain to those who know", but I also can't find it.

So far I have this lyrics, starting at 51:44:

"The driver of the other car, awful father to a happy family
had caused a fatal accident running a red light while driving drunk,
he can't afford to pay their bill
a sheriff in New Mexico shot a ... on the run,
three shots were to be heard
[chorus]
...it needs no explanation to those who know,
you don't need to explain to those who know"

I'm really liking this song, but since Boards of Canada used it we'll probably never find it haha

Edit: the bass in this song feels kind of familiar, I'm thinking is the same used in the Good Friday remix
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Boqurant
Twoist wrote:That gorgeous track at 57m is BOC, and if it isn't I'll eat my hat, or a big cake that looks like a hat.

feels like this track should have it's own thread or that we should rlly try and find what it is if It isn't boc...

it just feels rlly weird for them to put a single track of theirs in the middle of everything no?

edit: also what does twoism think the rationale behind showing the world this tape was? that bocs sound is not exclusive to them?
Last edited by MIXL2 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
PS shoutout to whoever joked around and said it was Marcus singing the Indian 'Shreeman Narayana' song on the live thread. I couldn't stop laughing when I read that last night :lol:

Friendly Stranger
I Just love this tape !!

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:Well, this might be the case guys, look at the beginning of this track:

phpBB [media]

Heldon - Une Drôle de Journée

This sounds like the source for M9 !!!!

phpBB [media]

it doesn't really. they are at most vaguely similar synth patches, but m9 is for sure played live on a synth, not using a sampled synth, imo.

Posts Quantity
WaitingFor_22 wrote:
WaitingFor_22 wrote:I'm really trying to find the one at the 49 minute mark, seems like the chorus at the end is saying: "it needs no explanation to those who know, you don't need to explain to those who know", but I also can't find it.

[chorus]

I'm really liking this song, but since Boards of Canada used it we'll probably never find it haha

Edit: the bass in this song feels kind of familiar, I'm thinking is the same used in the Good Friday remix

I think I said this during the broadcast, but to me this sounds so much like 10cc (especially like the track 'Feel The Benefit').

I might be wrong (I'm probably wrong), but it sounds like the singer isn't a native English speaker – I'm hearing European inflections to the voice, maybe Scandinavian?

Dayvan Cowboy
WaitingFor_22 wrote:

[chorus]

Stefan Zauner - Billy Miller - already listed above.

Posts Quantity
Techboy wrote:Stefan Zauner - Billy Miller - already listed above.

:lol: D'oh! I'll stop scouring obscure 10cc tracks then.

Posts Quantity
irv wrote:
Techboy wrote:Stefan Zauner - Billy Miller - already listed above.

:lol: D'oh! I'll stop scouring obscure 10cc tracks then.

Haha! Can't believe I missed that! Thank you for saving my time, I can get quite obsessed with this stuff
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Dayvan Cowboy
:) I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't specifically gone looking for it this morning!

Eagle Minded
It's amazing that some of us have been obsessing over the same old tapes and rare BoC material for close to 20 years now! :lol: :lol: No wonder we get excited with the possibility that some of it might feature on a mix tape they've put out.

Eagle Minded
KaleidoDisk wrote:The "Sea Organ" track was one of the best :mrgreen: :!:
Telephasic Workshop

Boqurant
Anybody got a track ID on 57 minutes? If any of them were to be BOC, this one IMO is the one that sounds most like them.

Posts Quantity
outhudd wrote:0:21:43 Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love (Mix 1)

I've seen this marked as 'Flayer' in a few places now, but I think it's 'Flyer'.

The name is on the album cover here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqtuzX1lgY
And on Discogs too: https://www.discogs.com/Flyer-Get-Back- ... se/1538630

I guess it just got named wrong on YouTube?

Dayvan Cowboy
The incredibly brief flute sample at the very start of the aforementioned track beginning at 57:00 has been used previously in BoC's repertoire. Unfortunately I am unable to pinpoint it at this precise moment, it will come back to me, I am sure.

Perhaps they subtly included this sample to indicate to fans that what was following, as yet unidentified, was indeed a small ambient interlude of theirs.

Eagle Minded
irv wrote:I guess it just got named wrong on YouTube?

I think they might've changed their own spelling. Further looking at discogs has another entry with the image showing the band name clearly spelled as 'flayer': https://www.discogs.com/Flayer-Wanna-Get-Back-Your-Love/master/315079

Posts Quantity
Hmm, how odd – good spot!

Dayvan Cowboy
While I was probably one of the people who felt "let down" and "disappointed" because this wasn't unreleased BOC music, I quickly realized when I took a good listen to this tape (I couldn't really listen to it when it was initially playing because I was on a date) that the next best thing to hearing BOC music, was hearing all of their influences banded together in one place. Honestly, if WARP released Societas X Tape as a compilation, I would have bought it. It's like the 60's Nuggets compilations but tailored exclusively for BOC and I smile every time I hear their trademark melancholy haziness and synths in jazz fusion instrumentals, psychedelic music, r&b and who knows what else.

Plus, I've also come to the conclusion that 2 hours of unreleased BOC music would be sensory overload. I don't know why, but I feel that my brain would fry from that much awesomeness at once.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
https://sixtyeightkay.bandcamp.com/releases

"音と映像 M Sandison and M Eoin" at the very bottom, probably nothing tho
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
For me this is better than a new album. We already have many BoC albums, but never any mix of what they're into.

Loads of new stuff in this mix for me, and the ones I already knew (Doxa Sinistra, Flayer, Lena Platanos) weren't just ones I'd heard before, they have been special favorites of mine, so it's really nice to hear BoC work them so well into this mix.
Last edited by outhudd on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada