Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Techboy wrote:it doesn't really. they are at most vaguely similar synth patches, but m9 is for sure played live on a synth, not using a sampled synth, imo.

I agree, I tried sampling it up and pitch shifting it and to no avail. I got too excited :P
Suck my BUTT

Sherbet Head
Roswell wrote:https://sixtyeightkay.bandcamp.com/releases

"音と映像 M Sandison and M Eoin" at the very bottom, probably nothing tho

The last section after the release date on Bandcamp descs are dedications/special thankyous

so the guy is just dedicating this to the brothers

I know because when I uploaded I dedicated my EP to Music747, he always supported me <3
Suck my BUTT

Dayvan Cowboy
I thought it was a fantastic mix. Everything flowed so seamlessly from start to finish. I loved that some tracks showed a direct influence to their sound, and how they shaped and moulded it to create something new. It was certainly nice to see twoism so active again too, and to see fans alike sharing their love and appreciation. Would love to hear some new material, but for the time being I'm quite happy with the Dead Dogs Two instrumental!

Eagle Minded
So, it looks like the track IDs are starting to dry up a bit now (I've been trying myself with Shazam and Google Assistant with no luck). Let's have a look at tracks which could conceivably be original BOC tracks

Track 1 (runs from 7:56 to 10:10). Sounds like it has a bass guitar and a clean piano sound on top of droney synths. If someone played this to me without any knowledge of the SXT, I'd never think this was BOC because it sounds so underproduced and amateur, so if it is them it makes me think it's something really old. But I'd err on the side of saying it's not BOC.

Track 2 (runs from 12:40 to 14:39). Warbling synth gives way to what I call a "documentary synth" (e.g. Wildlife Analysis). It does sound like BOC experimenting with that kind of sound before they mastered it but again sounds quite amateurish in production so again could be something early or something they've just recorded quickly and not done anything with. If the production was more professional I could imagine it as a BOC interlude track.

Track 3 (runs from 25:19 to 26:02). Strongest candidate for being a BOC composition, sounds like a vignette that didn't make it onto Geogaddi. I'd say highly likely to be BOC in origin.

Track 4 (runs from 29:34 to 32:35). 70s smooth pop vibes, definitely sounds like something that would influence BOC but doesn't sound like BOC whatsoever, and sounds far too professionally produced to be something from their early days. Highly unlikely to be BOC, I'd say it's more likely a piece of library music.

Track 5 (runs from 37:13 to 38:40). Just like the above, smooth 70s vibes, nothing like BOC but a style you could see them being influenced by.

Track 6 (runs from 41:42 to 43:00). Sounds very much like acapella vocals taken from a different song and mixed with different synths underneath. Maybe a crude Hell Interface edit?

Track 7 (runs from 43:00 to 45:06). The "heartbeat" pounding drums underneath sound very different to the guitar slides layered on top. Sounds very much like British library music to me. Don't think this is BOC.

Track 8 (45:06 to 46:32). An ad that sounds like it's been recorded from TV layered on top of a tune underneath, very reminiscent of Old Tunes stuff, could very easily have been something they pissed about with in their early days.

Track 9 (57:53 to 1:00:12) A lot of people think this is definitely BOC. I don't share that same optimism for some reason. This would sound out of place on Old Tunes or R35TT for me but I guess it could be something even earlier than those, but for me it just sounds un-BOClike. The main synth sounds a bit too poppy, almost like it wants to break into a U2 song but it is very ethereal so I guess it could be them. Unsure.

Track 10 (runs from 1:14:50 to 1:17:03). This is beautiful, traditional Indian singing produced in BOC style. I definitely think they've taken the original song and remixed it into this. If this is something old I'm surprised they've never released it, perhaps copyright issues? Lovely haunting track.

Track 11 (1:23:33 to 1:26:21) A rock song with clear lyrics and no one can find it anywhere. Sounds very 80s. BOC have said in interviews that they were in guitar rock bands in the 80s in high school.....do you reckon? Nah, surely not. Stunned that this can't be found though.

Track 12 (1:30:11 to 1:34:34). The piano line sounds far too poppy and clean to be BOC, the synth pads underneath are slightly more BOCesque but for me this doesn't sound anything like them and it sounds like it's been recorded on equipment too good to be from their early days. Sounds far more like a BOC influence than BOC themselves. The really deep bass synth that comes in during the second half of this sounds like a different track to me that's been mixed in and sounds a bit more BOCish.

Track 13 (1:34:34 to 1:38:08) Beautiful fretless bass sounds, I remember loving this during the broadcast but to me it does sound like a fretless bass that's being reproduced electronically rather than a real one being played. I really like this song but it sounds nothing like BOC to my ears, not surprised they like it though it's beautiful.

Track 14 (1:38:08 to 1:41:25). This does sound like something that could be a BOC interlude but it doesn't sound artificially aged or dissonant enough and needs some distant vocal samples thrown in. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that this was a work in progress track of theirs that they never got around to finishing. That "aaah aaah" synth though does throw me off a bit, as do the cheesey space sounds in the background which are kinda un-boc-like. Still a strong contender to be a BOC tune though.

Track 15 (1:48:46 to 1:50:50) Would not be surprised in the slightest if this was a BOC interlude intended for Geogaddi but there were copyright issues with the reversed song they used so they didn't get around to finishing it. Beautiful little vignette.

Track 16 (1:52:35 to 1:55:42) Not only do I think this is BOC, but I think BOC have used parts of this before in XYZ. Listen to the fade out of XYZ and tell me parts of this song are not in there? It sounds clear to me. This is the 5th or 6th time I've listened to this track since the broadcast and every time it throws strong XYZ vibes at me. Mind you, now that I've said that someone will ID it as something completely different :)

*Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just a listener with opinions and interested to hear others. Peace :)

Sherbet Head
lol@every track being "Is it BOC or not?"

I love this mix with all my heart

Dayvan Cowboy
TheStatPow wrote:
The last section after the release date on Bandcamp descs are dedications/special thankyous

so the guy is just dedicating this to the brothers

I know because when I uploaded I dedicated my EP to Music747, he always supported me <3

Ordinarily yes, but the Kanji before it means “Sound and Video.” It could’ve just been placed there because it’s at the bottom of the page out of sight.And part of the bio section appears to be a bio for BoC... it’s weird.

Someone else has noticed this too apparently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... of_canada/

Eagle Minded
chronical wrote:lol@every track being "Is it BOC or not?"

I love this mix with all my heart

Haha well yeah, that was kinda the point of the post :P

I love it too, very cool and unique. I was disappointed at first but it won me over inside the first 5 minutes.

Eagle Minded
My favorite segment/track was the one with the guy laughing... that part got me haha it reminded me of Beavis and Butthead or something “Ween” would do lol
I am glad we didn’t just get a bunch of unreleased material.. this was more “personal” from them and has given me such a deeper form of respect for them... that was really special and unique and really hope they press it to vinyl

Sherbet Head
How about working out the track lengths and trying to match some tracks to the old unreleased albums and eps?
I mean.. Someone else do it, I'm too lazy

Dayvan Cowboy
:twisted:

Sherbet Head
luminousdusk wrote:How about working out the track lengths and trying to match some tracks to the old unreleased albums and eps?
I mean.. Someone else do it, I'm too lazy

That one bumpy shoegaze track around 11 minutes sounds an awful lot like the Wouldn't You Like To Be Free bit we've heard before! Not saying it's them but why not :) Lovely bit

Happy Cycler
The idea of trying to match track times with their back catalog, while amusing, might be futile. They blatantly edited many of the tracks they played.

Dayvan Cowboy
Soul_Slip wrote:I am glad we didn’t just get a bunch of unreleased material.. this was more “personal” from them and has given me such a deeper form of respect for them... that was really special and unique and really hope they press it to vinyl

This so much. It is actually kind of beautiful rather than "we're dumping a bunch of stuff we didn't put on our albums," (no offense to people who actually did that because I love that too!) they gave us a nice thoughtful compilation that basically said "We wouldn't have made the music you guys love without thanks to all these artists."

I'm actually kind of embarrassed how annoyed I was at first that it wasn't BOC music (I'm glad I didn't post anything about it) because I really like this. And I really want a copy of it to add to my BOC collection too.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
IronMark wrote: Track 16 (1:52:35 to 1:55:42) Not only do I think this is BOC, but I think BOC have used parts of this before in XYZ. Listen to the fade out of XYZ and tell me parts of this song are not in there? It sounds clear to me. This is the 5th or 6th time I've listened to this track since the broadcast and every time it throws strong XYZ vibes at me. Mind you, now that I've said that someone will ID it as something completely different :)

Great shout.

New Seed
Something about the interlude at 57mins reminds me of the Duffy excerpt... Perhaps it could be from the late 80's Acid Memories era.

Dayvan Cowboy
To me the part that sounds the most like old BoC is from 7:15 - 9:20, between Heldon - Une Drole de Journee and the Killing Joke demo. Whatever that track is sounds exactly like it would fit on the Random 35 Tracks Tape. I think whatever starts around 1:51 is a possible Old Tune as well.

Eagle Minded
My friends and I watched Maximum Overdrive to the BoC set with the sound off but with subs on, tbh it was a great video mashup to the mix, I can't believe how on point it was. My friend Ben was the one who chose the film. If anyone has some spare time and access to MO and SXT I'd recommend the mashup.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

New Seed
Posting to say the short snippet at 1:05:00 ish is this, or something very close to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nsjV8R ... isberwouts

Dayvan Cowboy
My personal favorite of the evening was Vulcan Mind Probe.
It sounds a lot like the records I got into as a teenager in going through father's seemingly infinite record shelves.
Namely reminding me of tracks like this Mahavishnu Orchestra one that I was mildly obsessed with due to the main underlying wah-guitar lick that kicks in at around the 40sec mark.

phpBB [media]

I took a weird route in finding BoC through psychedelic music, into MBV and then to here. It is really nice to see that their influences lie in not too dissimilar places.

Dayvan Cowboy
That was a really self-indulgent post, in retrospect.
*insert life story*

What (named) tracks did people here enjoy the most in the mix?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada