Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
broke wrote:
ryetronics wrote:Maybe I'm a dummy but I can't hear the relation between the "fretless bass Julie & Candy" track and Julie & Candy. What am I missing? (I'm not a musician, if that helps)

Is it the bass line that starts at about 1:12 in the sXt track?

yeah me neither, i don't understand where is the similarity between the two songs

I also don't hear it. They both have slightly similar 4 bar progressions but the chords are differrent (the piano in fretless vs the flutey bits in J&C, but maybe i'm listening out for the wrong thing?)
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
Tried playing a bit in Ableton with Fretless bass track. it is about 72 bpm while Julie and Candy is 73. FBT has a bit lower pitch than J&C so when put at same speed pitch ALMOST matches up. Also progression is much more similar to J&C when heard backwards. Some smaller notes and bits of melodies definitely match up but yeah, it is not the same song at all.

Dayvan Cowboy
Possibly hearing things that arent there now but it seems... I dunno, kinda similar to this track by Paul Keogh on Bruton's "Shape of things to come", I think? https://youtu.be/_xF-HQKnjN0?t=591 It's NOT THIS TRACK obviously, but something about the similarity of it is just twanging at me to tell me to keep looking (more than just that it has a fretless bass in it, ovs).

Dayvan Cowboy
broke wrote:
ryetronics wrote:Maybe I'm a dummy but I can't hear the relation between the "fretless bass Julie & Candy" track and Julie & Candy. What am I missing? (I'm not a musician, if that helps)

Is it the bass line that starts at about 1:12 in the sXt track?

yeah me neither, i don't understand where is the similarity between the two songs

There honestly isn't any that I can hear. I made a video at the time where they were overlayed to see what it yielded, but it didn't really have anything beyond coincidental similarities.

phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
@Negamuse, get where you're coming from with that last link. I listened to some more april orchestra and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNUJ20Kp-Y#t=30m I think these tracks also sound pretty similar. Maybe it was just in vogue among library musicians back then :)

Someone on discord is fingerprinting a bunch of april orchestra tracks and checking it that way... :)

Sherbet Head
Valotonin wrote:
phpBB [media]

That sounds pretty good by itself. If you are one of those musical types, please feel free to turn that into something more. I'd love to hear it.

Boqurant
such a long time agoooo -> DISCOVERED by a discord user

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... und_title/

Posts Quantity
broke wrote:such a long time agoooo -> DISCOVERED by a discord user

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... und_title/

Wow, fantastic!

https://www.discogs.com/release/1354502

Posts Quantity
What a find. I'd convinced myself it was them or their mates.

Some more info: http://www.33bcradio.com/collection/sin ... ma-clock-7

"Here's another group that is sadly lacking in recorded output. They were a Lincoln, England group that seemed to have a steadily fluctuating line-up, varying at times between being three, four, five, and six-piece group, all within a short two year span. This recording comes from the three-piece lineup.

Sinking Ships contributed two songs to the 1980 compilation 'Household Shocks' with a different vocalist, then released this single. After which it seems they had a bit of an identity crisis, eventually doubling the line-up and adding keys, synths, and saxophone. I suspect they were trying to capitalize on the synth-pop/new wave craze of the time. They paired the line-up back down and released a second single in 1981 before disbanding."

Posts Quantity
I see they were also included on a compilation reissued on Dark Entries in 2016. Same label has reissued Severed Heads and the Lena Platonos track.

Boqurant
outhudd wrote:I see they were also included on a compilation reissued on Dark Entries in 2016. Same label has reissued Severed Heads and the Lena Platonos track.

interesting. maybe there's a chance to find some other tracks like the shoegaze mbv-ish one, "thank you for not smoking" or the ”weird piano” track at min 7 in their catalog.

Dayvan Cowboy
Can I just say the piano one around 8 minutes sounds not only like a news coverage theme, but also something you might find on Tomorrow's Harvest? Like something you'd find on a "futuristic" broadcast in a sci fi movie from the 80s
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Can I just say the piano one around 8 minutes sounds not only like a news coverage theme, but also something you might find on Tomorrow's Harvest? Like something you'd find on a "futuristic" broadcast in a sci fi movie from the 80s

Definitely agree. Sounds like it could be a prelude to Reach for the Dead or Sick Times. Love how it transitions to the catchy bassline with drums around 9:30. I have many favourite moments throughout Societas X, but this is definitely among the top of the list. :twisted:

Happy Cycler
outhudd wrote:I see they were also included on a compilation reissued on Dark Entries in 2016. Same label has reissued Severed Heads and the Lena Platonos track.

I have the Victrola single. Turns out Dark Entries did that one, too. Definitely a label worth looking more into.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Can I just say the piano one around 8 minutes sounds not only like a news coverage theme, but also something you might find on Tomorrow's Harvest? Like something you'd find on a "futuristic" broadcast in a sci fi movie from the 80s

Someone said that it is a video game soundtrack and went off to search but never returned. :roll:

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:

Someone said that it is a video game soundtrack and went off to search but never returned. :roll:

Aye, they still be searchin' to this day.

They have left their place of employment and are currently in the process of spending their jobseeker's allowance and savings on purchasing and playing through every level of every game they ever owned or recall playing in search of the track that might not even be there.

Godspeed.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:

that's so far fetched i can't even see it anymore

Boqurant
Valotonin wrote:
Moz wrote:

Aye, they still be searchin' to this day.

They have left their place of employment and are currently in the process of spending their jobseeker's allowance and savings on purchasing and playing through every level of every game they ever owned or recall playing in search of the track that might not even be there.

Godspeed.

ahahahah, well it can be from a videogame soundtrack. That lo-fi piano sound always remembered me a song from an Amiga game called Agony.

first one from this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5DvNEf5po

Eagle Minded
Stoked that the post-punk gem has been discovered. I decided to check out another tune by the same band and that ruled too. It's a damn shame their discography is extremely small. So much potential there.

Just need to know the piano track at 8 mins and I'll be one satisfied customer. Easily a Societas X highlight!

Dayvan Cowboy
As the tracks titles are coming in it is evident that there is likely no BoC on this compilation other than the mashup/remix of the Imagination track. This is the second time they have used Imagination's music (at least in their publicly available music) - the first is "We've started up" for those that didn't already know.

Anyway, I am becoming evermore convinced that the shoegaze (always disliked the term, but whatever) interlude isn't them. Who is it? It sounds like a Tremolo EP or Loveless outtake. Is Kevin sharing his tapes with them?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada