Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
64k stream, jesus christ. welcome to 2007. o/t the mixcloud queue UI is brilliant.

Dayvan Cowboy
Okay, the truly confirmed BoC we have is the 'Midas Touch' esque remix of Just an Illusion by Imagination.

Unless they were playing a remix of the track that I am yet to be made aware of, those were BoC synths, BoC samples (obviously with the individual parts from Aquarius) etc and the speed of the track, sections of the track had been chopped and altered.

That was a full BoC remix.
We just got a new Midas Touch.

Eagle Minded
I feel like there's some similarity between the Doxa Sinistra - The Other Stranger track and ATP track 9....
no information at this moment in time

Friendly Stranger
IronMark wrote:So, it looks like the track IDs are starting to dry up a bit now (I've been trying myself with Shazam and Google Assistant with no luck). Let's have a look at tracks which could conceivably be original BOC tracks

Track 12 (1:30:11 to 1:34:34). The piano line sounds far too poppy and clean to be BOC, the synth pads underneath are slightly more BOCesque but for me this doesn't sound anything like them and it sounds like it's been recorded on equipment too good to be from their early days. Sounds far more like a BOC influence than BOC themselves. The really deep bass synth that comes in during the second half of this sounds like a different track to me that's been mixed in and sounds a bit more BOCish.

This track reminds me of something Tony Banks from Genesis might write, you're right on it being too polished sounding. The chord progression and the sound of the keys is really reminiscent of Heathaze off Duke.

IronMark wrote:Track 13 (1:34:34 to 1:38:08) Beautiful fretless bass sounds, I remember loving this during the broadcast but to me it does sound like a fretless bass that's being reproduced electronically rather than a real one being played. I really like this song but it sounds nothing like BOC to my ears, not surprised they like it though it's beautiful.

Reminds me of something off of The Isness and the Otherness by Future Sound of London.

IronMark wrote:Track 14 (1:38:08 to 1:41:25). This does sound like something that could be a BOC interlude but it doesn't sound artificially aged or dissonant enough and needs some distant vocal samples thrown in. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that this was a work in progress track of theirs that they never got around to finishing. That "aaah aaah" synth though does throw me off a bit, as do the cheesey space sounds in the background which are kinda un-boc-like. Still a strong contender to be a BOC tune though.

I actually really liked this one, has a very warm sound and might well be BoC. This one reminds me of New Age of Earth by Ashra

Dayvan Cowboy
Roswell wrote:I feel like there's some similarity between the Doxa Sinistra - The Other Stranger track and ATP track 9....

I think I know where you are coming from with that one.
There are certain similarities there.

I was genuinely half under the impression that it was an early boards track, it sounds really reminiscent of some of the interludes and shorter tracks on AFOT and OTV2, but I can't place my finger on any of them in particular.

28 ? (short jingle. "your choice....")
29 ?

It's going to drive me crazy not knowing this song. I wish they'd release a full track list so we could dig into the catalogs of the artists they plugged in this mix. I know we have a few of the songs on the RTS website...but they're the easy ones. Hoping they'll tweet a graphic out with the tracklist or have someone scoot in here and quietly drop a full list.

I wouldn't even mind if they dropped a tracklist and ~*omitted*~ some spots so we'd never know if any of these are Boards or Hell Interface related. I don't even care...I just love all of this music!!
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Dayvan Cowboy
The last time we tried to summon MDG it was unfortunately to no avail.
I think someone wasn't squishing the sacrificial oranges with a pure heart full of good intention.

You know who you are.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:The last time we tried to summon MDG it was unfortunately to no avail.
I think someone wasn't squishing the sacrificial oranges with a pure heart full of good intention.

You know who you are.

Posts Quantity
The orange juice samples from 44ish minutes in Societas are from a Bing Crosby + minute maid ad. I went hunting with orange juice search terms, found it was definitely Bing Crosby's voice (he did a bunch of ads for minute maid in the 60's and 70s).
Then I stumbled upon this link https://vintage-ads.livejournal.com/3123955.html which the top comment from 2012 quotes the sample from the Societas tape . ""If it's Minute Maid, there's nooooo doubt about it"...but the video is gone/not hosted anymore. None of the Bing + Minute Maid ads I'm finding are the exact samples though. Internet Archive was no help either.

Posts Quantity
Couldn't think much about it at the moment, but now its sinking in how cool it is to have a set of curated recommendations from your favorite music act. Knowing how meticulous they are they probably spent a good while building this mixtape and its growing on me.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
Agreed, fefor. I listened to it again today while at the gym and really focused in on it- I found myself deeply introspective at times, other times I was trying not to laugh at the silliness (minute maid commercial, the casio ad, etc), it evokes all types of responses. It is pretty much Old Tunes Vol. 3 in my book, perhaps I would argue that this mix is even better (and don't get me wrong I hold both volumes of Old Tunes in the highest of regards). It's a fun little trip and it really does feel like a trip all over the world. The different cultural influences are incredible. The range of different types of music stretches across so many genres.

I'll be damned if I don't find the choral music/requiem/mass that played for a few seconds starting at 59:28. I swear it may be from Mozart's Requiem Mass. This is starting to freak me out.

Posts Quantity
After listening to the original and their cut back to back a few dozen times, I can't get over how good their touches and remix of the Severed Heads - We Have Come to Bless the House track are. So many details in there. Getting heavy replays today.

Eagle Minded
29 is a Bruton library track from one of their series that had an orange cover and maybe a light grid on it. I can't remember the record ID. I think it was communications themed. 1983 or 4?

phpBB [media]

Edit nvm I found it

New Seed
89 ? (sounds like Angelo Badalamenti?) @ 1:29:xx

This is quite definitely an early version of "Statue of Liberty"...

Happy Cycler
Glen_Glog wrote:29 is a Bruton library track from one of their series that had an orange cover and maybe a light grid on it. I can't remember the record ID. I think it was communications themed. 1983 or 4?

phpBB [media]

Edit nvm I found it

100% NOT surprised they were dropping library tracks in that mix. Bruton, KPM, Sonoton, De Wolfe, Rouge, Chappell... all incredible!

Eagle Minded
irukaya wrote:89 ? (sounds like Angelo Badalamenti?) @ 1:29:xx

This is quite definitely an early version of "Statue of Liberty"...

Definitely agree here, about the same melody it sounds
no information at this moment in time

New Seed
Source verification aside, that segment is to somebody with ear-training pedagogy under their belt the basis for "Statue of Liberty". It lines up almost exactly, in the sense that were it to be a midi file, you would have both tracks covered by the note data of said .mid

Dayvan Cowboy
https://www.nts.live/artists/1054-board ... bUixQzNhDI

Apparently NTS uploaded it in better quality than the original 128 kbps stream, at least that's what the BoC FB Group says, I can't check it atm.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is therea decent rip of this already?
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Happy Cycler
that religious deep soul track near the end of the mix absolutely slays.

it's fucking amazing.

Posts Quantity
portiss wrote:https://www.nts.live/artists/1054-boards-of-canada?fbclid=IwAR0nrkMjejAudNNeMpCVtC50VXfeXHfTLCdNpTl6bjzzvQsqAbUixQzNhDI

Apparently NTS uploaded it in better quality than the original 128 kbps stream, at least that's what the BoC FB Group says, I can't check it atm.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is therea decent rip of this already?

No, the NTS archive stream is 66kbps AAC.

Almost certainly lower quality than the original 128k mp3 stream capture.

Here's the NTS archived stream for download if anyone is interested: https://we.tl/t-dMYngq5fnP

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada