Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Amazing mix. So many special moments. Thank you BOC.

Posts Quantity
phpBB [media]

Not sure if this had been sourced already (hard to keep up), but credit to this guy on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... _tune_and/

Posts Quantity
Love how the official tracklist on NTS only lists 5 tracks :mrgreen:

Posts Quantity
Also I think the track at 1:34:00 is the inspiration for Dayvan Cowboy.

Eagle Minded
The Spotify playlist is still being added to: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2xHwr ... 4Lu0BB2YKQ

One track on it I don't know why it's there is Kevin Over - Retrovision. Sounds like a modern techno track, don't remember hearing it on Societas X.

Posts Quantity
I think some parts of that Spotify playlist are false matches from Shazam that people added without checking.

Eagle Minded
Is there a place where I can get to listen to the full thing?

Posts Quantity
Moloch wrote:Is there a place where I can get to listen to the full thing?

https://www.mixcloud.com/NTSRadio/board ... june-2019/

https://rareboc.ax.lt/23-21_00-Boards_o ... mplete.mp3

Eagle Minded
Awesome. Just spotted it's on NTS website as well. Cheers!!

Posts Quantity
I was listening to Kanap on Youtube and it struck me how the original track sounds less creepy than in the mix, especially the drum sound. I guess they recorded it straight from vinyl, but it feels like they also ran it through old amplifiers, or whatever material they use for deteriorating sounds. Or maybe is it just NTS livestream compression...

Eagle Minded
irv wrote:Not sure if this had been sourced already (hard to keep up), but credit to this guy on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... _tune_and/

i actually remember this! Although it didn't click at the time.

I'm glad they acknowledged the School TV part of what they do in that broadcast. That was the first thing that sprung to mind when i first ever heard BoC.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
Mikey wrote:Love how the official tracklist on NTS only lists 5 tracks :mrgreen:

They should really mention Filmmaker. I saw on one of the youtube uploads comments he/she is aware they've been featured. Been checking out alot of their stuff, it's really good.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ottomatik wrote:I was listening to Kanap on Youtube and it struck me how the original track sounds less creepy than in the mix, especially the drum sound. I guess they recorded it straight from vinyl, but it feels like they also ran it through old amplifiers, or whatever material they use for deteriorating sounds. Or maybe is it just NTS livestream compression...

They almost certainly ran the entire mix through their equipment. No track in that mix is left completely untouched, but some seem to be more playback than others.

Eagle Minded
I still don't believe no one of you guys noticed that the piano and fretless bass track around 1h37min is so obviously Julie and Candy. There is also a bassy/pitched down voice layered at parts which can clearly be heard in the live version. But what this track is really, no idea.

Dayvan Cowboy
I was mistaken on the previous page.

The Aquarius mix was Grace Jones skillfully combined with Just an Illusion by imagination. For a while I was under the impression the synths were Boards. Weird how I recognize some of the more obscure but, when it came to Grace Jones, it completely slipped my mind.

Dayvan Cowboy
But, to be fair, I am only aware of Imagination through BoC's use of them in "We've started up"

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:But, to be fair, I am only aware of Imagination through BoC's use of them in "We've started up"

Check out Music & Lights and Body Talk, they were pretty big hits over here in the UK.

They definitely had a thing for this early black 80s synth-RnB pop.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:I still don't believe no one of you guys noticed that the piano and fretless bass track around 1h37min is so obviously Julie and Candy. There is also a bassy/pitched down voice layered at parts which can clearly be heard in the live version. But what this track is really, no idea.

Blimey, you're right...

If this is an early demo of the track it could explain why we never hear any of the mystery old stuff. They want to keep them secret because they intend to transform them (or have already been transformed) at a later date.

Dayvan Cowboy
Peacock Tail wrote:
Check out Music & Lights and Body Talk, they were pretty big hits over here in the UK.

They definitely had a thing for this early black 80s synth-RnB pop.

Also living in the UK but much further south that stockport and I was unfortunately a tad too young to be exposed to 80s synth pop while it was happening. It does seem to be one of BoC's major influences. A lot of comfy music there.

On another note: Has the track around seven minutes in been identified yet? It sounds akin to an 80s film score, something like the first Terminator film etc and that does thematically fit into Tomorrow's Harvest very well. It probably isn't BoC, but there is a chance.

Dayvan Cowboy
Peacock Tail wrote:
Moz wrote:I still don't believe no one of you guys noticed that the piano and fretless bass track around 1h37min is so obviously Julie and Candy. There is also a bassy/pitched down voice layered at parts which can clearly be heard in the live version. But what this track is really, no idea.

Blimey, you're right...

If this is an early demo of the track it could explain why we never hear any of the mystery old stuff. They want to keep them secret because they intend to transform them (or have already been transformed) at a later date.

While I don't subscribe to the view that it is a definitive early version, there are definitely similarities there that go beyond the coincidental.

I did a minor pitch and tempo alteration and overlayed them, quite interesting.
phpBB [media]

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada