Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Interestingly, this means that the little drum fill connecting Guru Ma to Mood In Motion must be yoinked from an entirely different song since it doesn't seem to appear in either of them lmao
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Jango9 wrote:Interestingly, this means that the little drum fill connecting Guru Ma to Mood In Motion must be yoinked from an entirely different song since it doesn't seem to appear in either of them lmao

Because they also didn't know and asked us for help, took it off some random dude's mixtape :lol:

Boqurant
Jango9 wrote:Interestingly, this means that the little drum fill connecting Guru Ma to Mood In Motion must be yoinked from an entirely different song since it doesn't seem to appear in either of them lmao

There was another track on that album which had similar drums (and rolls)

Sherbet Head
2 years later and we're still finding new stuff lmao, it's crazy to think that this is all that's left:
-That one with the General MIDI piano and autopanner (7:06)
-MBV-like electric guitar(?) drone snippet (24:30)
-"Thank You For Not Smoking" (36:22)
-"No Mileage Charge" southern car rental ad (40:42)
-Rattling bone-like drums (42:10)
-"Mother goddess" sample (1:04:42)
-"Soon The Queen Will Come Our Way" (1:21:54)
-Ambient drones before last two tracks (1:51:45)

Not sure whether the little shortwave radio snippets count since those are almost certainly home-recorded and impossible to find, but I suppose anything's possible lol. Still, only 8 more main things to go! Which one do you guys think'll turn up first?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Boqurant
Soon The Queen Will Come Our Way feels like some odd mix of library music and something else. I reckon that'll be found next. The MBV-like guitar one is my favourite one left though, I really want that one to be found. I'd do some searching myself but I don't even know where to start lol.

Eagle Minded
No idea what can come up next. For each of these tracks in the mix there is at least one from the same artist/release/label that they borrowed some element or sampled. Search a bit, you might find something interesting. I didn't post all my findings.

Something else, don't know what to make of it. In CTO's Heartache (pitched down laughter), it is a scene where two people are laughing and one dies of heart attack. Also on the same album, track called No Smoking about dangers of smoking in a laboratory. This is about 25 mins away from mid point of the mix (01:00:00 with radio static and Free Life). Unidentified "thank you for not smoking" track is about the same length away (25-26 mins) from the mid point. On the same album where fretless bass track is there is a track called Wind Tunnel but I didn't find so obvious timing correlation between these two.
I had some Ideas this mix could be palindromic so if someone wants to dig in, go ahead. Other than keeping eye on the tracks I am not going any deeper in this.

Dayvan Cowboy
Thanks for finding that fretless bass track! Wow. Can't believe we know what that is now

Eagle Minded
Man, that's fantastic. Thanks for finding it!!

Boqurant
I'm so happy that this has been revealed. Excellent work!
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Boqurant
Mansin wrote:Thanks to Moz I just found the Fretless Bass track

phpBB [media]

oh my god finally! thanks a lot guys amazing work. I knew it that it was a library track!

Friendly Stranger
I hear: "Mother [could be (some) other] goddess of the world has come...[different speaker] to translate Diagonal Science books..."
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Friendly Stranger
Also: "How else?...[Eastern?]'ll hire [a.k.a. rent] you most anything from an [Saturn?] Astra to a Merc! And no mileage charge, neither."
ɪɲ ʕʰɘɼɾʏ ɟȺɱɨʟʮ

"My world is your dreamworld, and vice versa. However, and as discussed, the two worlds are coming together apace. [78103301]"

"Dazzled or enlightened, he tries to understand and, at times, to expand the rules of a game he never asked to take part in, and that he is not allowed to renounce."

Eagle Minded
I love it how it got sold out on discogs in like 2hrs. :lol: It was very cheap. Got myself a copy, will be interesting to see how much will the price rise in the future.

Happy Cycler
Tip o' the hat to you, Mansin! Nice work!

It's funny. I love digging through those old library catalogs. I have probably tripped over that album a couple times in the past.

So this particular track didn't appear to be on Youtube until you uploaded it, right? How did you go about finding it?

Eagle Minded
Nice job. I'm also curious how you managed to find it.
Couple live jazz Boards of Canada covers of mine can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/ntowbinj

Eagle Minded
Recently I've sharpened up my Discogs skills and decided to check out some library labels more thoroughly to see did I miss some stuff and then I found this. Great track and all but what bothered me was, where else did I hear that last piano chord?
phpBB [media]

I searched through my spotify playlists and nothing. Then it occured to me, was it BoC. It was none of the remixes and album tracks. I thought I'll never remember it but then it hit me. It is on the end of 747. Posted it in samples speculation thread.
I went on digging what else did this guy do, what other albums did he play on etc. For some reason my Intuition lead me that this tune could be on Spellbound. It is nearly impossible to find clips of it online, basically it is the same as Streetside but more modern sounding. Listened to a couple of tracks off Streetside and I was like "yeah, just a regular old synthpop library LP" and went out to visit a friend.
I recieved a message from Mansin about the track off Streetside which was very similar to our track. He dug more into it and found the LP and that's it. Funny thing is the version on Soulseek is a shitty rip, record skips so you can have an extended version of it lol, but he cleaned it up a bit.
You can all thank Covid for this because now I spend my weekends just listening, playing and producing music with little to no sleep. I explored so many artists and genres in these last couple of months, more than in my whole lifetime. Also thanks to Mansin, I am not sure I would go back to check that whole LP :oops: That would be a bummer.

Boqurant
Yeah it really shows how easy it is to miss the tracks we are looking for. When I heard the timbre of the piano in Smooth Touch, I thought it couldn't hurt to check out the guy. I went through streetside on discogs and luckily again, silver lady was linked there and it had so many of the elements I was looking for, so I was semi convinced at that point. However, the first few tracks of the LP almost scared me away like Moz because they sounded nothing like it, which made me even more shocked when Mood In Motion started playing. So there you have it :mrgreen:.

Posts Quantity
Great find - I love that fretless bass track and I'm happy it was identified!

Posts Quantity
Very happy to see "fretless bass" found :) And it was on De Wolfe!

The description of the track at the back of the LP is "spacious, dreamy, piano feature".

I had this section of the mix described as "piano" "spacey" in the original tracklist I posted in the minutes after the mix originally ended. :D (quoted in OP) Think I said this one was "piano" and later became known as "fretless bass".

Thank you Mansin and Moz

Posts Quantity
And how did you find the clip? Soulseek? I see also it was uploaded to a private site about a week before your find.
There doesn't seem to have been any sample of it on the WWW until your YT upload on Saturday.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada