Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Great find.

A compilation of Dreamers Cloth earlier work came out on fairly well known label Not Not Fun (Peaking Lights, Dolphins Into The Future, 2814, Weyes Blood...) just two days before the Societas X Tape came out. It included excerpts from The Coconut Pearl, but not the bit used in the SXT.

Personally I think it's great that this (and in my opinion, none) of the unknown stuff in the mix is by Boards of Canada. This way many more artists are discovered, and now there's a whole back catalogue of Dreamers Cloth (for example) to discover.

I'm sure this is exactly what BoC wanted with this mix.

Sherbet Head
They titled one track as their own.. So yeah it's just that one for sure

Friendly Stranger
I pointed that out to Dreamers Cloth. He hadn't spotted it before, and was very happy as he says BoC were part of the reason that he started making music himself.

Dayvan Cowboy
luminousdusk wrote:They titled one track as their own.. So yeah it's just that one for sure

Most people think the NTS Tracklist was just taken off Reddit.

Eagle Minded
ryetronics wrote:Saw this on reddit. Too good not to share.

Love seeing people take interest in my lame memes :D

Eagle Minded
The song around 1hr 34mins with the chorused fretless bass over a piano jam sounds undoubtedly like classic British library music to me. I'm guessing there's quite a lot of library music fans among the BOC community? I've been rooting around my KPM/Bruton/De Wolfe stuff since the SXT and the aesthetic fits so well, plus they included two tracks by Alan Parker and Paul Hart so there's a precedent there. Will keep rooting.

Boqurant
IronMark wrote:The song around 1hr 34mins with the chorused fretless bass over a piano jam sounds undoubtedly like classic British library music to me. I'm guessing there's quite a lot of library music fans among the BOC community? I've been rooting around my KPM/Bruton/De Wolfe stuff since the SXT and the aesthetic fits so well, plus they included two tracks by Alan Parker and Paul Hart so there's a precedent there. Will keep rooting.

yeah it's making me crazy! i'm digging through charles talar records and parry music library but nothing. well, at least now i've got like 5gb of library music to listen to :D

Posts Quantity
Is that library stuff "Shazamable'?

If it seems one of the library labels has their music fingerprinted in the Shazam database, you could rule out that label, as the unknown stuff in the mix isn't.

Eagle Minded
outhudd wrote:Is that library stuff "Shazamable'?

If it seems one of the library labels has their music fingerprinted in the Shazam database, you could rule out that label, as the unknown stuff in the mix isn't.

It's very hit and miss. The vast majority of songs can't be identified with apps, there's just so much.

Posts Quantity
If you're OK with Linux and a tiny bit of coding, there's a tool called dejavu which would let you scan the library music, make a database of all the fingerprints, then it can scan unknown tracks (eg from the BoC mix) and see if they match anything in the database.

Friendly Stranger
Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love reissue is number 1 in the Juno Balearic / Downtempo bestsellers now: https://www.juno.co.uk/downtempo/charts ... this-week/

It's number 2 in the Bestseller chart across all genres: https://www.juno.co.uk/all/charts/bests ... this-week/

Friendly Stranger
I've seen a few split versions of the tape around but they often didn't have proper tags and split things weirdly, so I've tried my hand at a proper one. It has the WXAXRXP idents cut and is split largely using the bocpages tracklist, but I used every source or tracklist I could find for it. I also tagged all the unidentified tracks with a R35TT-style number and a description or working title so that people can identify and discuss them without needing to post their time in the mix. Here's the download for anyone who wants it: https://mega.nz/#F!Oos0lQZB!3UAcNigs6014Rqn5BrbjRg

Sherbet Head
DILWeed wrote:I've seen a few split versions of the tape around but they often didn't have proper tags and split things weirdly, so I've tried my hand at a proper one. It has the WXAXRXP idents cut and is split largely using the bocpages tracklist, but I used every source or tracklist I could find for it. I also tagged all the unidentified tracks with a R35TT-style number and a description or working title so that people can identify and discuss them without needing to post their time in the mix. Here's the download for anyone who wants it: https://mega.nz/#F!Oos0lQZB!3UAcNigs6014Rqn5BrbjRg

Awesome job. Thank you.

Sherbet Head
Can this be downloaded as a single file or do we need to do it track by track?

Sherbet Head
luminousdusk wrote:Can this be downloaded as a single file or do we need to do it track by track?

'Download as ZIP' at the top of the page

Sherbet Head
Says the file is too big.. But I'm on my mobile so.. Need to try on pc, thanks

Boqurant
DILWeed wrote:I've seen a few split versions of the tape around but they often didn't have proper tags and split things weirdly, so I've tried my hand at a proper one. It has the WXAXRXP idents cut and is split largely using the bocpages tracklist, but I used every source or tracklist I could find for it. I also tagged all the unidentified tracks with a R35TT-style number and a description or working title so that people can identify and discuss them without needing to post their time in the mix. Here's the download for anyone who wants it: https://mega.nz/#F!Oos0lQZB!3UAcNigs6014Rqn5BrbjRg

Incredible work, DILWeed! Thank you. My previous download was from the day after the broadcast and was missing the first 3 or 4 tracks- also none of them were named :shock: This is a huge improvement!

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't know why, but I still feel the shoegaze track may be BOC. Or a shoegaze track that sounds like BOC. It seriously sounds like a BOC synth melody played on shoegaze guitars. In fact, if it's not BOC, I fully understand why they selected the track because it probably sounds similar to the Play By Numbers songs.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
It is so nice to see a fellow Dane with Dreamers Cloth. I'm definitely going on an adventure and see if I can find some of his physical releases here in Denmark.

Friendly Stranger
I'm surprised no one has been able to identify "20. Unknown Artist - SXT08 (Thank You for Not Smoking).mp3". That one has been quite the ear-worm for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada