Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Yeah, tbh, I keep bouncing back and forth between deliberating whether or not the unknown ones are BoC or not. I'm not a betting man, but I'd be willing to bet that at least one or two of the tracks still in question are the work of BoC. It's going to take the work of a dedicated fan/some blind luck to get a definitive answer to the ones still up in the air.

That being said, I'd love to hear more of those wacky minute maid commercial type things. Only BoC could make Un homme, une femme and a fucking orange juice commercial sound amazing and hilarious at the same time.

Super excited that we've all crossed paths with some epic tracks. Listening to Hajime Tachibana's XP41 at the moment, oh man do I ever love this one. Sometimes on Twitch if someone has song requests up, I'll request something off of Societas X. The reactions are often priceless.

Dayvan Cowboy
The issue is that, as someone who's two favorite artists are MBV and Boards and who runs a fan channel on Youtube for MBV, I feel that I have heard that interlude somewhere.

The closest I could find was the Tremolo EP version of the interlude at the end of To Here Knows When, but I know I have heard something considerably closer.

I will do some searching early tomorrow after I get some sleep. It could genuinely just be a BoC interlude so reminiscent of MBV that it is indistinguishable, but it has Kevin Shield's fingerprints all over it and I knew I had already heard it or something close.

I do feel like I am going to be wrong and that it will turn up nothing. That production, though. Did Kevin give them some of his guitar experiment tapes? It doesn't sound at all like an emulation, but then again, BoC are the only ones that seem to be able to completely reverse engineer sound in places.

Eagle Minded
Nice, I will be looking forward to seeing what you can come up with, Val.

In the meantime, enjoy another one of my lame memes.

Boqurant
this hunt for the last undiscovered songs from Societas X Tape is making me realize that's there is so much music out there yet to listen that we can't even imagine. i just found this incredible track and i think it has some similarities with the "vangelis drone" at 1:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iU9C59j-R0

Eagle Minded
They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

I have located the 'I'M LISTENING sample from Aquarius. I've been obsessing today over the track Dance with us Lord from the One foundation. A tape that was circulated around the Divine Light Mission cult/group whatever.

It comes from another tape. This time by a band (i think called Blue Aquarius) It happens 54 seconds in

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/mp3/At ... master.mp3

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

I have located the 'I'M LISTENING sample from Aquarius. I've been obsessing today over the track Dance with us Lord from the One foundation. A tape that was circulated around the Divine Light Mission cult/group whatever.

It comes from another tape. This time by a band (i think called Blue Aquarius) It happens 54 seconds in

ahaha man this is incredible how did you find something like this? amazing.

Eagle Minded
That is what I don't know

Eagle Minded
I guess it's just because I'm listening :) ... and smoking tons of weed at the moment and experiencing the most bizarre synchronicities I have ever experienced in my life. I have been going through a very difficult time in my life. Experiencing isolation that I have never known and spiralling into alcohol and cannabis addiction and generally on the brink of none existence. It is hear where I hear the universe talking to me and showing me a path to follow, even though I know this path will not lead to resolve of my problems.

Here is another one - not on the mix but I am convinced this track inspired - You could feel the air from geogaddi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjSukyeptA

Also, back in 2001 ish warp records used to have a communication chat room called warpcomm. It shut down around the time of 911. There was a user that frequented the room called 'Blue Gas'

Eagle Minded
OH shit!

The track is called At the feet of the Master by Blue Aquarius. Aquarius being 'Aqua'. Then there's Blue 'Gas'

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:They have left many clues as to where their inspirations and even samples come from in that NTS mix -

This is fantastic, great find and welcome to twoism :)

Eagle Minded
Now i also believe that Aquarius version 3 says "sixtyten blue aquarius"

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]
it's more than likely they found the blue aquarius album in a junk shop or something

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:Now i also believe that Aquarius version 3 says "sixtyten blue aquarius"

well at this point i think it really says it!
ahah youtube also recommends me that blue gas track on every video i watch lately :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:Now i also believe that Aquarius version 3 says "sixtyten blue aquarius"

Fuck sake, so it does.

Blue aquarius.

I'm blue Scorpio.

Eagle Minded
Won’t bother replying individually but great finds today! I always assumed “I’m listening” was from some early 60s obscure pop harmony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
As to how I found the 'I'm Listening sample.

I was on this site

http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/music/one ... /yame.html

I was growing frustrated about how much of the music had been taken down as a request of copyright. So a bit more googling I found this :-

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/lyrics/lyrics.html#oal

Then after realising all the lyrics were in text, something popped in my head. Search I'm listening. So I CMD+f, searched 'I'm' in the lyrics and 2 results were found on that page. I knew before I listened to that track that this would be the sample source. The past inside the present.

I am genuinely of the belief that Boards of Canada have either intentionally or unintentionally have brought some form of information from the past (that has long been suppressed) into the future in order to plant new seeds of planetary and spiritual awakening.

Happy Cycler
Sl Flk wrote:I guess it's just because I'm listening :) ... and smoking tons of weed at the moment and experiencing the most bizarre synchronicities I have ever experienced in my life. I have been going through a very difficult time in my life. Experiencing isolation that I have never known and spiralling into alcohol and cannabis addiction and generally on the brink of none existence. It is hear where I hear the universe talking to me and showing me a path to follow, even though I know this path will not lead to resolve of my problems.

Here is another one - not on the mix but I am convinced this track inspired - You could feel the air from geogaddi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjSukyeptA

Also, back in 2001 ish warp records used to have a communication chat room called warpcomm. It shut down around the time of 911. There was a user that frequented the room called 'Blue Gas'

Aha! I pointed out that Blue Gas track a couple weeks ago. Even created a thread for it...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14313

Amazing song! It started popping up on my youtube recommendations about a month ago. It reminds me a lot of the Flayer track. Could have easily fit on Societas X.

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:As to how I found the 'I'm Listening sample.

I was on this site

http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/music/one ... /yame.html

I was growing frustrated about how much of the music had been taken down as a request of copyright. So a bit more googling I found this :-

http://www.ex-premie.org/gallery/lyrics/lyrics.html#oal

Then after realising all the lyrics were in text, something popped in my head. Search I'm listening. So I CMD+f, searched 'I'm' in the lyrics and 2 results were found on that page. I knew before I listened to that track that this would be the sample source. The past inside the present.

I am genuinely of the belief that Boards of Canada have either intentionally or unintentionally have brought some form of information from the past (that has long been suppressed) into the future in order to plant new seeds of planetary and spiritual awakening.
fantastic find, great digging!

I agree I personally think this broadcast has given us much more insight into what BoC are all about than a set of unreleased recordings we long for ever could. I think they did this knowing their fans would dig deeper and hopefully find a new understanding of where they’re coming from.

I think we’ve always known their released music was just the top layer of the onion and maybe when we’re ready we can be allowed a little further down. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
Also, i am convinced that the counting that occurs on Aquarius is taken from a speaking clock that was released around 1995. My mum got me one for my birthday in 1995. It was grey and a long oval shape. It had the option of a cockadoodle doo sound to wake you up and it fuckin did my head in :). I've tried finding the clock online but I cannot see it anywhere. Or they sampled it straight from the stock sounds that were used in the clock. Either way. I'm sure that voice was in that digital clock.

Eagle Minded
Oh forget that last one. This was the dreaded alarm clock. Sounds nothing like it :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAzkwz5OC8s

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada