Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Happy 1000, everyone! I still wonder if we'll ever somehow be able to determine the origins of the remaining as-of-yet-unidentified ambient/drone tracks and whatnot. How exactly were some folks able to track down The Coconut Pearl again?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

New Seed

Posts Quantity
Jango9 wrote:How exactly were some folks able to track down The Coconut Pearl again?

Someone mentioned in a Youtube upload of the SxT mix that they heard some Dreamers Cloth in it. Someone on this forum then went searching through Dreamers Cloth tracks to find which one.

Posts Quantity
This is being rebroadcast right now on NTS2. Started 10 minutes ago: http://www.nts.live

Happy Cycler
I don't know if you guys have been following the hunt for the 'Most Mysterious Song On The Internet', but Societas X actually fell into it briefly last year when someone thought Strangers might be the same band who recorded the mysterious song.

For a good overview of this whole thing you should check out Whang's youtube videos on the subject here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90JvgNQ ... _M-rJJu4V7

If you watch the most recent one you will note that a giant spreadsheet of music was created based on some old radio show playlists.

You can view this spreadsheet here...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I was kind of thinking that this might be a good resource to potentially find some more of the missing tracks on Societas X.

Boqurant
bungler666 wrote:Oh, did he say when? Fall, winter?
I'll make sure to pick that up.

Unfortunately no, just "later this year". You can contact him on his Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/tekh58 and he might tell you more.

Sherbet Head
coL's been posting more of his old albums on his website and spotify, unfortunately the rest of Love And The Others (the album This Flat Earth comes from) isn't there yet but he's been slowly adding the rest of his back catalog:
http://jesuswarhol.com/JesusWarholRecords/coL.html

I think of the recently added albums, my favorite is probably Valu. Also there's been a minor update to his bio in the form of a BoC shoutout for adding his song to their tape, pretty cool stuff!
coL wrote:Despite the fact that coL has had almost no exposure to the public, his influence can be felt around the indie music community. Either in a sub-conscious way, or the other artists that he has connected with, spreading his sound in their own direct manner. Such as Boards of Canada pointing to his work as Unique in the landscape of modern music.

And just in case you're wondering how far we've got to go, I found this pic of his entire discography on an archived version of the Jesuswarhol site:
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
That's amazing :-o God, so much music that could've slipped away mostly unheard, rescued. Good on him.

Sherbet Head
Negamuse wrote:That's amazing :-o God, so much music that could've slipped away mostly unheard, rescued. Good on him.

Yup! There's also been a whole bunch of tracks from as-of-yet-unavailable albums uploaded on his label's youtube channel and also a few music videos uploaded years ago with very few views on his Factory 3 Films channel.

Also found another track very similar to This Flat Earth in style, I think you guys'll dig it:
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
This is probably nuts but if you load the unknown ambient track at 1h53min in the sampler, pitch it down an octave and reverse it + play around with L/R phases, and play a couple of notes you get this: https://soundcloud.com/moz912/messing-a ... ZOpE3Q2lAM

There's also a female voice in the radio scan at the beggining which sounds like it says "do you know us?".

Friendly Stranger

Eagle Minded
When Jasper Van't Hof plays, I melt

Friendly Stranger
Hello after a 7 year hiatus. I feel like something good is coming from The Brothers and I’m happy to rejoin this community after all these years.

I want to say how much of an intimate connection I have with Slave to the Rhythm/Thank You for not Smoking/Aquarius Mix.

I see an old lady with Alzheimer’s. The song is how she remembers her past, her youth. Beautiful 1940’s music. Then when she thanks you for not smoking, you can hear the deterioration in her voice/brain. Then it’s as if she dies, and a jumpy, happy track starts, she is entering heaven. Reunited with her loved ones, her older brother, her father. They all greet her with smiles and they start jumping up and down to the rhythm...dancing. Just as she is about to enter paradise, the track gets slowly more demented, distorted by Hell Interface. A menacing undertone takes over. And her surroundings begin to fade away into obscurity. The offputting sound, and the sinister laughter solidifies it: she is defending into hell.

Cheers friends
"When lava pours out near the sea's surface........BOOM!!!!!!!..........tremendous volcanic explosions sometimes occur."

Eagle Minded
Turbo Moe wrote:Hello after a 7 year hiatus. I feel like something good is coming from The Brothers and I’m happy to rejoin this community after all these years.

I want to say how much of an intimate connection I have with Slave to the Rhythm/Thank You for not Smoking/Aquarius Mix.

I see an old lady with Alzheimer’s. The song is how she remembers her past, her youth. Beautiful 1940’s music. Then when she thanks you for not smoking, you can hear the deterioration in her voice/brain. Then it’s as if she dies, and a jumpy, happy track starts, she is entering heaven. Reunited with her loved ones, her older brother, her father. They all greet her with smiles and they start jumping up and down to the rhythm...dancing. Just as she is about to enter paradise, the track gets slowly more demented, distorted by Hell Interface. A menacing undertone takes over. And her surroundings begin to fade away into obscurity. The offputting sound, and the sinister laughter solidifies it: she is defending into hell.

Cheers friends

Bravo

Very well written.

Dayvan Cowboy
Turbo Moe wrote:Hello after a 7 year hiatus. I feel like something good is coming from The Brothers and I’m happy to rejoin this community after all these years.

Cheers friends

The wonderful magic of BOC is they create visions that no one else can...even with other people's tracks! Thanks for sharing yours!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
Moz wrote:This is probably nuts but if you load the unknown ambient track at 1h53min in the sampler, pitch it down an octave and reverse it + play around with L/R phases, and play a couple of notes you get this: https://soundcloud.com/moz912/messing-a ... ZOpE3Q2lAM

There's also a female voice in the radio scan at the beggining which sounds like it says "do you know us?".

Wow, that's like the happier version of Echus. Nice find.

Boqurant
I have loved these two unknown tracks from SxT, and I noticed some interesting comparisons. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7KDQC ... e=youtu.be

Boqurant
Bing Crosby - There's No Doubt About It! 1973
phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Eyyy, someone found it.

Posts Quantity
https://youtu.be/t1Y-UQnlH-w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada