Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:"Here in the wind tunnel, the fearful forces plot their pattern by proxy. And one day, we shall know!"
That's clearly what it's saying, right? Anyone disagree?
Echelon wrote:Speaking of Doxa Sinistra, it's creepy how they got an electronica track that not only sounds a bit like Boards but also has samples that seem to pertain to the mystery solving situation we're in now.

Yeah, there's a few points on here where it seems like they're sending bizarre messages through the choice of vocals. The Orange Juice interlude, for example, could be interpreted as them taking shots at all the crappy fake BoC tracks that have showed up over the years. If you replace oranges with music and Minute Maid with Boards Of Canada it makes a lot of sense!

As a side note, I fucking love how they brought back the Old Tunes-style interlude tracks for this tape lmao

If the "fearful forces" are BOC and "the proxy" is the mix-tape. What would their pattern be?

Just the whole style of the tape with, as you said, the old tunes-style interlude tracks and homages to their favorite old music, makes me think that their next release is going to be archival or something that is backwards looking. Which to be 100% honest is something I'd greatly enjoy either way.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
Jango9 wrote:"Here in the wind tunnel, the fearful forces plot their pattern by proxy. And one day, we shall know!"
That's clearly what it's saying, right? Anyone disagree?
Echelon wrote:Speaking of Doxa Sinistra, it's creepy how they got an electronica track that not only sounds a bit like Boards but also has samples that seem to pertain to the mystery solving situation we're in now.

Yeah, there's a few points on here where it seems like they're sending bizarre messages through the choice of vocals. The Orange Juice interlude, for example, could be interpreted as them taking shots at all the crappy fake BoC tracks that have showed up over the years. If you replace oranges with music and Minute Maid with Boards Of Canada it makes a lot of sense!

As a side note, I fucking love how they brought back the Old Tunes-style interlude tracks for this tape lmao

If the "fearful forces" are BOC and "the proxy" is the mix-tape. What would their pattern be?

Just the whole style of the tape with, as you said, the old tunes-style interlude tracks and homages to their favorite old music, makes me think that their next release is going to be archival or something that is backwards looking. Which to be 100% honest is something I'd greatly enjoy either way.

Yeah I have a feeling they are going to go full tape crunch with this next one haha hopefully really experimental... I would love a “showcase” album incorporating all of their various secret techniques and odd-random experimentation skills!

Dayvan Cowboy
https://wxaxrxp.bleepstores.com/login/auth

Here's something cool! You can now register for the Bleepstore. It's in French for some reason but when you sign up and login, you can reach this page. The page is mysteriously empty, but who knows what will show up in the next coming days. "Give it a bit longer" is starting to become my mantra.

https://imgur.com/a/mPth4yx

Friendly Stranger
The Societas X Tape is truly a cornerstone in the BoC saga. So many great finds have been made since the tape and were all still just screamin' kids waiting to see that damn lizard play some tunes. :P
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Dayvan Cowboy
Was in Scotland.
Did I miss anything?

Sherbet Head
The sun? Lol

Dayvan Cowboy
luminousdusk wrote:The sun? Lol

Hah, pretty much. Went up on the first of those two incredibly hot days but luckily I was up north by the time the scorcher on the second day hit.

Was really rather hot there as well, mind. Just not an inferno like London apparently was.

Eagle Minded
Still searching that fretless bass/Julie and candy similar track. After hours and hours digging through seas of library music and anything related, the artist I think is the most similar to it so far were some songs by Elton John. Checked out a couple of fretless bass players on various library music labels but no luck so far. Some tracks are impossible to hear online so who knows.

Eagle Minded
https://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast ... spx?id=687

Cool mix but placing it here because the interview:

You recently released two hour's worth of material from the late '80s and early '90s for Warp's NTS takeover. Can you take us through the process behind this, from finding, selecting and processing the tracks to stitching it all together?

tbh Warp didn't give us much notice for the radio thing so we just grabbed the tracks and did the mixes, it was done in a couple of days. None of it's mastered or anything they were just straight copies from archive (sorry, but it is free:))

So did BoC do their mixtape on short notice?

Eagle Minded
Yeah they probably did. I wouldn't be particularly inclined to believe Societas X is something they slaved over for months, it seems to me the type of thing they could whip together on short notice, just as Autechre did. For the sake of curiosity, let's say it took them 2 weeks or so to figure out which tracks to throw in (they probably already had alot of them pop in their head when they figured out which direction to take the mixtape in), and another week to add in the shortwave radio scans/Just An Illusion/fillers between songs/alleged unreleased tunes/Minute Maid ad,etc. That seems totally plausible for them and I'd reckon they could do it a lot quicker than that. What really fascinates me is if they could create something like Societas X in a quick amount of time, well, that sort of makes me ponder what the next album will sound like, given they've had a lot of time to really dig into what they want it to sound like and to refine it to the best of their abilities. I couldn't be more excited to see which direction they go in. After hearing Societas X, which I can best describe as an Alice in Wonderland experience, I grow curiouser and curiouser as to their next move. Nonsensical rambling aside, yeah I think they probably did it on relatively short notice, going off of what Autechre described.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:https://wxaxrxp.bleepstores.com/login/auth

Here's something cool! You can now register for the Bleepstore. It's in French for some reason but when you sign up and login, you can reach this page. The page is mysteriously empty, but who knows what will show up in the next coming days. "Give it a bit longer" is starting to become my mantra.

It's been there since the start: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14286&p=282052#p282052

There must be something planned for this, but who knows when it will launch.

Posts Quantity
outhudd wrote:

Yeah, who knows, it could be quite awhile... I registered last week anyways!

Dayvan Cowboy
outhudd wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. Man, I thought I made some crazy discovery.

The one thing I think is weird is that I've asked around about it and Warp is silent. I don't know if they just don't reply to people, or this is something they wish to keep under wraps. Hope it's the latter.

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:Still searching that fretless bass/Julie and candy similar track. After hours and hours digging through seas of library music and anything related, the artist I think is the most similar to it so far were some songs by Elton John. Checked out a couple of fretless bass players on various library music labels but no luck so far. Some tracks are impossible to hear online so who knows.

Same. It's annoying because something about it is sparking a memory and I can't think why. That piano sound kind of reminds me, weirdly enough, of some of the stuff Dusty Springfield was putting out tail end of the 70s but the synth would seem to put it somewhere in about 82 I'm guessing? I have a nagging feeling it's maybe from some kind of musical or a soundtrack or something but I just don't know

Eagle Minded
Negamuse wrote:
Moz wrote:Still searching that fretless bass/Julie and candy similar track. After hours and hours digging through seas of library music and anything related, the artist I think is the most similar to it so far were some songs by Elton John. Checked out a couple of fretless bass players on various library music labels but no luck so far. Some tracks are impossible to hear online so who knows.

Same. It's annoying because something about it is sparking a memory and I can't think why. That piano sound kind of reminds me, weirdly enough, of some of the stuff Dusty Springfield was putting out tail end of the 70s but the synth would seem to put it somewhere in about 82 I'm guessing? I have a nagging feeling it's maybe from some kind of musical or a soundtrack or something but I just don't know

The other thing that narrows it down a little bit is that it has background vinyl noise so we can be pretty sure it's a vinyl release. I hope someone finds it soon so I can get on with my life. Also that opening piano riff sounds really familiar.

Dayvan Cowboy
By the way, did Boards really unlike the twitter post that was praising them for "pulling one over on the fans" who were expecting unreleased demo tapes rather than a mixtape?

If so, that's actually kind of interesting. It definitely goes with the accounts that Boards aren't malicious people and are actually just two nice dudes.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:By the way, did Boards really unlike the twitter post that was praising them for "pulling one over on the fans" who were expecting unreleased demo tapes rather than a mixtape?

If so, that's actually kind of interesting. It definitely goes with the accounts that Boards aren't malicious people and are actually just two nice dudes.

Someone on this forum who enjoyed the tape very much but also watched as certain users felt somewhat misled or manipulated by Warp's promotion of the event made a post as politely as possible in regards to that tweet potentially being interpreted as disrespectful of the fans and the like was removed a few moments later. The person who made the tweet is probably really nice as well, sadly and for all I know, and I hope that being subject to what is perhaps the only case of BoC unliking a tweet in the history of their very light social media presence isn't something that bothers them. It wasn't an ill intentioned tweet.

Clearly boards were anticipating how the fans would react and ensured that both twitter and the forums were watched as it happened and afterwards. You could tell that they were possibly really ecstatic, although this is conjecture, about the general positive reactions. One could sense that it was something so out of the ordinary for them that they feared alienating or disappointing people. All things considered, it went down really well and it is a beautifully curated collection of music with some of the best transitions I have ever heard.

Eagle Minded
"We love you all, we love you all." They definitely like their fanbase, everyone from the superbly fanatical (why hello there!) to the casual listener. I remember the quote after Tomorrow's Harvest that went something like, "I think our fanbase consists of intelligent, creative listeners." I think the action of them liking that specific tweet meant no foul harm, like Val said. They know how much their music moves people and I don't think they are the type of people who mean any ill-will. I think they were liking just about everything that came through, perhaps they didn't catch entirely what that person alluded to as "Societas X being some trick they pulled on their fans." For all I know, it could be some WARP intern that manages their social media accounts. They don't really give a rat's ass about social media, lol.

Honestly, Societas X is one of the best two hours I can spend in the music world, and I am entirely thankful for its release. I could see how some others could be upset over it not being all BoC, but I would argue they are missing the entire point of the mixtape. It consisted of music that inspired them from all across the world with a little bit of BoC mixed into it. The sounds really do extend all across the world: India, Greece (Lena Platanos), and many of the artists were scattered all across the globe, for instance Filmmaker of Columbia and Hajime Tachibana of Japan. Moreover, the Societas X doesn't just include musical artists all across Earth, it also includes people like you and me. We complete the Societas, for without us listening to the music it would fade into the abyss and go unappreciated. We make sure it doesn't!

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:. Moreover, the Societas X doesn't just include musical artists all across Earth, it also includes people like you and me. We complete the Societas, for without us listening to the music it would fade into the abyss and go unappreciated. We make sure it doesn't!

Seriously, that is beautiful. Boards or Warp need you as their spokesperson. I would have never thought about it like that otherwise. Beautiful man! :D

And yeah, I think that tweet was very easy to misconstrue for everyone. On one hand, everyone is pretty much starved for new material, but on the other hand, Boards was still doing something beautiful in their own mysterious way. I can honestly see it from both angles since I love Boards that much.

Eagle Minded
This would be my reaction:

phpBB [media]

8)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada