Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
HappyCyclist wrote:Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

There was definitely some stuff that sounded like it’d fit right alongside “Wouldn’t You Like to Be Free?” and was lo-fi enough that it’s likely to be some of their early recordings. Listening back through to figure out times.

Hell yes. Wouldn’t You Like To Be Free is possibly my favorite snippet from their back catalogue. Please post updates if you get a time stamp. The tune that stood out to me ended with an increasingly high pitch tone.

Posts Quantity
Decorah wrote:Gotta say that Flayer - “Wanna Get Back Your Love” had me feeling all sorts of weird in the best way. It feels so random until you realize it’s a track they would (or already have) sample the hell out of.

this for sure. listened to it at least a dozen times since, i think the standout of the set. i think i'm going to have to order the 12" reissue that's out soon.

Boqurant
HappyCyclist wrote:I feel like we got treated to some pretty special “old tunes”, but unfortunately there is no way to check it. I’d like to think some of the interludes were snippets of Hooper Bay, Play By Numbers, etc..

Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

The little ambient piece that plays 58 minutes in, the one that plays on the left channel. Immediately thought it was old BoC. My mind specifically jumped to Catalog 3 for whatever reason, maybe it was Visual Drone 12? I'll hold on to that thought until we get a track ID for sure.

Speaking of, Warp is definitely going to give us the full set, as well as the tracklist, right? No way they'd leave us with 128kbps fan made recordings. I can only hope...

Posts Quantity
~nick wrote:
HappyCyclist wrote:I feel like we got treated to some pretty special “old tunes”, but unfortunately there is no way to check it. I’d like to think some of the interludes were snippets of Hooper Bay, Play By Numbers, etc..

Any of those little pieces stand out to you as old Boards? There was one that stood out to me in the second half, but I would need to register to time stamp.

The little ambient piece that plays 58 minutes in, the one that plays on the left channel. Immediately thought it was old BoC. My mind specifically jumped to Catalog 3 for whatever reason, maybe it was Visual Drone 12? I'll hold on to that thought until we get a track ID for sure.

Speaking of, Warp is definitely going to give us the full set, as well as the tracklist, right? No way they'd leave us with 128kbps fan made recordings. I can only hope...

Yep, I just relistened to the bit around 58 mins and that was the tune that sent my antenna off initially. The little gems like that truly make this mix something special.

As far as Warp giving us more details, I have no idea what to expect. My gut says they’ll remain silent.

Dayvan Cowboy
At 33 minutes (currently marked as "?") it's Esplendor Geometrico's "Regeneracion" in a mash-up with the Indian raga track that played before it.

Posts Quantity
Fantastic set last night, I took a drive through the peaks of Bowland forest for the whole 2 hours it was an experience!

Is anybody able to tell me if there is anywhere I can (legitimately) stream this again I'd love to have a crack at dissecting it more while I'm at work!

New Seed

Happy Cycler
9? (sounds like old shoegaze boc?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEMGfUVxrA

5 ? (70s american sounding one) - In the heat of the moment I saw someone say this was Col - This Flat Earth. Any confirmation?

Boqurant
Twentington wrote:Fantastic set last night, I took a drive through the peaks of Bowland forest for the whole 2 hours it was an experience!

Is anybody able to tell me if there is anywhere I can (legitimately) stream this again I'd love to have a crack at dissecting it more while I'm at work!

This is as close as we're getting to a legitimate stream. They have my money once it's out on the Bleep store.

http://uk.thelion.me/nts/

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:9? (sounds like old shoegaze boc?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEMGfUVxrA

5 ? (70s american sounding one) - In the heat of the moment I saw someone say this was Col - This Flat Earth. Any confirmation?

My shazam also recognized it as This Flat Earth, but the song is not available where I live and I can't find it anywhere else..
I'm really trying to find the one at the 49 minute mark, seems like the chorus at the end is saying: "it needs no explanation to those who know, you don't need to explain to those who know", but I also can't find it.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Posts Quantity
Song at 1 hour 18 minutes, right before Lena Platonos is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYqeytfU8g
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

New Seed
For the Severed Heads part the main sample is Ana Lola Roman - Decode, with the vocals from Severed Heads.

New Seed
WaitingFor_22 wrote:
mechanismj wrote:9? (sounds like old shoegaze boc?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEMGfUVxrA

My shazam also recognized it as This Flat Earth, but the song is not available where I live and I can't find it anywhere else..
I'm really trying to find the one at the 49 minute mark, seems like the chorus at the end is saying: "it needs no explanation to those who know, you don't need to explain to those who know", but I also can't find it.

if it helps the guy who uploaded the track to discogs is called Derek Charles 4 years ago and the guy has both a twitter and a facebook. we can probably hit him up.

oddly, the discogs page mentions that this is coL's 37th album. he also apparently founded his label

Valotonin wrote:Looks like Mexi got a like.
Surely this is all part of the likes and numbers game, though.
Where is Opothocary when you need him :D

Yeah, have to admit, even though it was probably my just some YTS kid in Warp's office it did make me squeal like a girl when the notification came through ha ha!

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
It would be good to turn this tracklist into a collaborative one where we can time stamp it

Posts Quantity
What really surprised me is how many tracks I thought sounded typically like BoC, but turned out to be other artists which I had never heard of. In that sense I feel like this mix is quite personal as these are probably the artists that heavily influenced their sound from the beginning. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this mix has made me realize how much music there is to be discovered off the beaten path.

Eagle Minded
~nick wrote:

Here's my 320kbps version https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eAdvQ ... xY07lzBHEe
J'aime faire des craquettes aux chiens!

Sherbet Head
Can someone transcribe the track at 26mins? can't hear it all at work but some samples "shall we call the station to let them know" "wait a little longer" "300kids waiting to see etc etc etc

are they giving us clues for something? Unless someone has already mentione this of course, I have lost track of these threads
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity
purgruv wrote:
Here's my 320kbps version https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eAdvQ ... xY07lzBHEe

It tops out at 16KHz on a spectrogram so I assume the broadcast source was still only 128kbps.

Boqurant
Geogandhi wrote:Can someone transcribe the track at 26mins? can't hear it all at work but some samples "shall we call the station to let them know" "wait a little longer" "300kids waiting to see etc etc etc

are they giving us clues for something? Unless someone has already mentione this of course, I have lost track of these threads

I believe this track was The Other Stranger by Doxa Sinistra, voice samples and all.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada