Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
ravedamage wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:I have tried to work out the lyrics to Flayer - Wanna get back your love (mix 1) if anyone is interested.

It is great to hear a track where the words are so obscure and hard to fathom that your brain sort of fills in the pieces. I've not done this sort of thing since being a love sick 13 year old with a cassette recorder and a pause button. So, it was a nice feeling to visit that old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4PPwNWeZCg

I knew it!
That it had to end some time.

And I feel it!
Kind of like deep down inside. Yeah

And I don’t know what!
Feelings that I can’t describe.

Out of our time.
It’s your love I have to find.

Driving fast, feeling down.
I confess (I will not lose you twice)
( I will not do you harm). I think it says both things here layered?

(Chorus)

Baby!
Wanna get back your love.
Reach me,
Feel me.

You hold on!
Hard to see you settling down.

Don’t give up!
Try and get it back some how.

I can feel it!
You and I we’re madly in love.

We were so close!
We’re both coming closer now.

Slowing down, don’t think twice.
I’m turning round, Let’s try and break the ice.

(Chorus)

Baby!
Reach me,
Feel me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Love me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

FADES…

Thanks for this Mike, it's been bugging the hell out of me. On my first listen I thought it was some outrageously good Bee Gees rarity...being a massive fan of them, I was hooked from the off anyhoo.

Cheers for all the other tidbits re: the mix, you two have really spoiled us.

New album please.

Hmmm. I think you're getting me mixed up with someone else. I am Soul Flask.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GP8qqrwv7XM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eagle Minded
Maybe he thought you were Mr. Sandison ;)

Eagle Minded
Mozart wrote:Just chiming in to say that I've been interested in reading everyone's thoughts. Neat stuff!

Going to hit the beach and listen to Societas X again. I did it the other day and the very end of it when Sea Cathedral played was not only very fitting, but it was an all around incredibly moving experience. I've listened to the entire mixtape so many times that I don't want to give away the number out of embarrassment, like I've nothing else to do lol ;)

I love you all. :twisted:

Hey Mozart!

I hope you enjoyed your type at the beach. The last time I went to the beach must have been in the 70's. I took my camera with me. Have a look.

https://youtu.be/mnLP6oVrHzQ

Dayvan Cowboy
Kino Library...
Are you okay?

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:Kino Library...
Are you okay?

no

Posts Quantity
Mozart wrote:Just chiming in to say that I've been interested in reading everyone's thoughts. Neat stuff!

Going to hit the beach and listen to Societas X again. I did it the other day and the very end of it when Sea Cathedral played was not only very fitting, but it was an all around incredibly moving experience. I've listened to the entire mixtape so many times that I don't want to give away the number out of embarrassment, like I've nothing else to do lol ;)

I love you all. :twisted:

You are my favorite poster on this forum.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:
Hey Mozart!

I hope you enjoyed your type at the beach. The last time I went to the beach must have been in the 70's. I took my camera with me. Have a look.

Thanks! I certainly had another great time. I stayed for three hours, listened to Societas X again right when I got there. In headphones of course, wouldn't want to scare anyone off with 33.10.3402 - Kanap over loudspeakers LMAO. It was another great listening session and I find myself falling more and more in love with it each listening session. There were many surreal moments like Pelicans soaring around while the ambient tracks were playing. Even dolphins were coming up close to shore to check up on fellow swimmers' activity in the water, while Hajime Tachibana ‎– XP41 was rolling. Lena Platonos' voice in Bloody Shadows from Afar has the world's calmest effect on me. It was just a really rewarding listening session and I feel ever so thankful for this music that we've all been introduced to. It's become something of a tell-tale for how I'll almost always remember the Summer of 2019, in a sense.

Neat video/music that you uploaded! I really enjoyed that.
PS; you owe yourself a beach break! The 70s was quite some time ago, my friend :)

Eagle Minded
fefor wrote:
You are my favorite poster on this forum.

Thank you for the kind words <3

Eagle Minded
hELLO... i Have gone through the trouble of uploading the B side to The Challenger theme by Jupiter prophet as there doesn't seem to be a copy kicking around online anywhere. It's a bit weird. But good in a way. Sounds like a young kid just starting out on a musical adventure ;)

https://youtu.be/N5eT16KAuYk

Posts Quantity
broke wrote:hey, i just made this in 10 minutes because i realized that BoC have actually used the multitracks (these are quite easy to find) from Grace Jones and Imagination tracks rather than just reworking the originals or sampling them. i'm sorry, everything sounds really shitty but it's just an example: https://instaud.io/3Xj3

Hey Broke!

Could you PM the multitrack? :wink:

Eagle Minded
Don't know if this has been mentioned. I'm pretty convinced that this is where BoC lifted the scraper noise in the track you could feel the sky - It's heavily manipulated but it has that little lift towards the end which makes me think it's from here. Also there was at least one track played from the bruton music catalogue in the mix indicating that they've likely heard it all. Luke Vibert also samples this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlBUzoYkgY

Sherbet Head
I always thought the weird sample from You could feel the sky was taken from the froglets from the clangers..

Sherbet Head
Unpopular opinion:

I really don't like you could feel the sky.
HoodedFreak on Youtube
Interface on WATMM

Dayvan Cowboy
AFX.NL wrote:Unpopular opinion:

I would like it more if the 'stretching rope' sample wasn't used as liberally. It fits into the track very well thematically, but if it were at least a tad more buried in the mix I would be happier. I am not claiming to be an expert, my mixes are terrible schizophrenic sounding messes.

Friendly Stranger
Moz wrote:Decided to dig out all I can from the artists they played. Jasper van't Hof first. Beginning of this sounds very familliar but can't put my finger on it:

Didn't think about it too long but my first thought was orange romeda right before the "Wow!"

Dayvan Cowboy
AFX.NL wrote:Unpopular opinion:

It's interesting hearing world beat influences on a BOC track, but I still think the percussion sounds like a guillotine chopping someone's head off over and over.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
I've become fixated on some strange quotes, such as the "wind tunnel" one. The mixtape starts off "astrophysics, medicine, biology, and technology." At the end of Associations, you can hear "yes Dr. Pepper, what can I do for you" and arguably one of the most fitting insignificant quotes: "striking similarities to ours." The voices continue to play all throughout coL - This Flat Earth, but it is super tough to tell what they are saying. If someone knows a way to go about turning down the volume of the guitar and vocals in This Flat Earth, then perhaps it would be a little bit easier to tell what the conversation/dialogue is saying in the background. This is something I haven't seen talked about yet. Surely, the background dialogue could be next to nothing as far as clues go, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to track down what the conversation is about. Again, it's reallllly hard to even hear the dialogue unless you are listening for it.

After too many listening sessions, the BoC detective in me can't help but hone in on these types of things. The mixtape is littered with these kind of voices, and most likely while they are intentional, they are probably just playful in nature. My favourite might the voice at 40:44 right before the gunshots (lol at the time stamp, makes me kinda think of the .44-40 Winchester which was "the gun that won the West.") The salesman says in a humorous nature something like "halllo Eastern Ohio most anything from an aston to a merc, and no mnemonics charge neither." Then occurs the gunshots which go on throughout the next track 35,000 feet. The quote beforehand doesn't "mean" anything but I can't help smile at how silly it is.

Has anyone identified what the repeated (German sounding) word is at the start of Doxa Sinistra's The Other Stranger? It sounds like it is saying "Akka zooa zooa dun daash." I probably butchered that, but it occurs around 25:07 for a few seconds if you want to check it out and help me figure it out. It could've been mentioned on here before, but IIRC I haven't seen anything about it and I am just curious as to what that word is because it doesn't play in the original at all.

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned. I'm pretty convinced that this is where BoC lifted the scraper noise in the track you could feel the sky - It's heavily manipulated but it has that little lift towards the end which makes me think it's from here. Also there was at least one track played from the bruton music catalogue in the mix indicating that they've likely heard it all. Luke Vibert also samples this one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlBUzoYkgY
Certainly possible, there's also a theory that it's the sound of cork being harvested from a cork oak tree. Personally I think it just sounds like a branch snapping. If you believe in the geogaddi track times/biblical allusions theory it becomes a little more realistic:
You Could Feel the Sky [5:14.239] - Rev 5:14
"And the four living creatures said 'Amen!' and the elders fell down and worshiped". End of chapter 5, which mentions the "root (or Branch) of David" (Branch Davidians), and the Lamb with seven HORNS - cf. lyrics.

New Seed
Apologies if anyone already posted this, but here's one of the samples around 28:26 in the mix.

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
Crazy how many samples have been found so far! Good work guys! Unfortunately my tube compressor/tube leveling amp took a dive off of a table when I was recording with my band... :( too much Bass lol
So I will have to wait until I purchase a new one to transfer my Akai M-8 rip of Societas... I was previewing the tape and wow... it really sounds amazing on this recorder.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada