Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Small breakthrough alert. "Thank you for not smoking" track is an instrumental cover of Non Passa Più by Ernesto Bonino. What kind of version are we dealing with here?
phpBB [media]

Orchestral cover with more obvious string melody:
phpBB [media]

According to my "informant" such cover versions used to play during nighttime Italian radio programmes.

Eagle Minded
Moz wrote:Small breakthrough alert. "Thank you for not smoking" track is an instrumental cover of Non Passa Più by Ernesto Bonino. What kind of version are we dealing with here?
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

According to my "informant" such cover versions used to play during nighttime Italian radio programmes.

Sick find!!

Completely unrelated (however not unrelated to SxT), but everyone who sees this: please listen to Victrola's demo collection 1982-1983 if you haven't, it's fantastic. "Tenderface" and "Hollow Nation" are some brilliant slices of post-punk.
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Posts Quantity
Now with no muted songs:
phpBB [media]

Boqurant
Moz wrote:Small breakthrough alert. "Thank you for not smoking" track is an instrumental cover of Non Passa Più by Ernesto Bonino. What kind of version are we dealing with here?
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

The cover played on SXT could easily be a midi file from the 90s or some keyboard demo!

Eagle Minded
Drum roll between Gura Ma and Mood in Motion is by Soul City Orchestra - Hot Day in Pimba. Both Pimba and Mood In Motion were sourced from this mix:
https://thevinylfactory.com/features/li ... e-library/

Dayvan Cowboy
Moz wrote:Drum roll between Gura Ma and Mood in Motion is by Soul City Orchestra - Hot Day in Pimba. Both Pimba and Mood In Motion were sourced from this mix:
https://thevinylfactory.com/features/li ... e-library/

Thanks for this! I managed to buy a vinyl for remotely cheap before they all go out of stock haha

I also asked MDG about the identity of the remaining tracks but alas he read my pm but no answer.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I also asked MDG about the identity of the remaining tracks but alas he read my pm but no answer.

magicians' assistants dont snitch
you're in a psycho war, that's what your permit's for

Dayvan Cowboy
funnnnpng wrote:
Echelon wrote:I also asked MDG about the identity of the remaining tracks but alas he read my pm but no answer.

magicians' assistants dont snitch

I simply wanted some more music but that's totally fine. I appreciate what people like Moz do here and I'm sure they are tipping their beanies to him too

Friendly Stranger
Maybe not entirely relevant to this discussion but I just wanted to say RIP Ryuichi Sakamoto. I've vaguely known his solo work for a while but SXT was what introduced me to YMO. So thank you BoC and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Boqurant
I was just listening to TH and haven't visited here for a while.

I still can't get over the Societas X Tape - it really does feel to me like being in another place and time. I get slightly nostalgic listening to it as when I first heard it (when streamed live) it was special and I become intrigued by the samples and influences.

I can't think of any other streams or downloads that moved me (except TH of course) - and its something that isn't physical (unlike my vinyl or CDs) but still its participating in a listening experience :]

Dayvan Cowboy
Don't know if this was ever mentioned on here, but Beck did a cover of Colorbox's Tarantula in 2019: https://youtu.be/tBj9_LV1Sp8

This is weird, simply because a certain mixtape also feature this track in 2019. And as we know, BOC remixed Beck.

Weird coincidence honestly

Dayvan Cowboy
What samples are still outstanding from this tape?
Last edited by YELLOW on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
What samples are still outstanding from this tape?

YELLOW wrote:What samples are still outstanding from this tape?

The ones marked [U1] -> [U7] @ https://bocpages.org/wiki/Societas_x_Tape#Tracks

New Seed
I went to Egberto Gismonti concert in January, it was dope. Beautiful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNf_58Y8Ac

Posts Quantity
Just noticed today that "The Free Life" and "Sir Prancelot" are both by Alan Parker.

Posts Quantity
I would like to suggest a correction about the tracklist, but i'm not 100% sure about this.

On BocPages it shows that the track 8 is Dolphins Into The Future - A3, B1, but when i downloaded the album on Soulseek, B1 is the track that starts in 16:44:

phpBB [media]

and B2 starts in 20:29:

phpBB [media]

So, actually is A3, B2.

But for SxT Mixtape, the Dolphins Into The Future song has the duration of 2 minutes, and i think is just A3 that BoC used, B2 has the duration of less than 1 minute.

Posts Quantity
Reminds me of Untitled 1
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Reupload in a new channel:
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
This isnt much, But its something

Noticed at the transition from Jasper Van't Hofs Associations into coL's This flat earth some speech sounded very familiar. There are two spoken audio clips and i noticed the second part with the words "several striking similarities to our.."
phpBB [media]

Then i remembered ive heard this in Mix Master Mikes Return of the Cyklops in the track Grudge Match where the sample says "on the world of (?) in the 5th dimension is a civilization with certain striking similarities to our own"
phpBB [media]

Still trying to find the source, Im assuming its from a sci-fi story/audiobook on vinyl

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada