Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy

Definitely not Boards of Canada, unfortunately.
Very nice track, though.

Boqurant

I have no idea what it is but it sounds pretty good to me. Feels really strange that it's 22 days old today?
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Dayvan Cowboy
It's too hip-hoppy to be BOC. Only time they ever sounded the slightest bit like that was Music and even then it definitely was more nuanced than a straightforward beat like that.

I'd love to be proven wrong but even the name Troll BOC says everything.

Great background music though
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:It's too hip-hoppy to be BOC. Only time they ever sounded the slightest bit like that was Music and even then it definitely was more nuanced than a straightforward beat like that.

I'd love to be proven wrong but even the name Troll BOC says everything.

Great background music though

Ouch. I didn't catch the 'troll' in the name TROBOCLL.
+++++++++++++++++++++
bandcamp

Dayvan Cowboy

Why don’t you tell us, Mr. One Post Joined Today? ;)

Eagle Minded
Anyone with a decent ear can recognize a boc fake just by the drums alone because nobody ever seems to get them right lol

Eagle Minded
https://soundcloud.com/t0m-2

excellent sounding track either way to me. I thought cold earth was fake when it first leaked so who knows?

Eagle Minded
I have tried to work out the lyrics to Flayer - Wanna get back your love (mix 1) if anyone is interested.

It is great to hear a track where the words are so obscure and hard to fathom that your brain sort of fills in the pieces. I've not done this sort of thing since being a love sick 13 year old with a cassette recorder and a pause button. So, it was a nice feeling to visit that old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4PPwNWeZCg

I knew it!
That it had to end some time.

And I feel it!
Kind of like deep down inside. Yeah

And I don’t know what!
Feelings that I can’t describe.

Out of our time.
It’s your love I have to find.

Driving fast, feeling down.
I confess (I will not lose you twice)
( I will not do you harm). I think it says both things here layered?

(Chorus)

Baby!
Wanna get back your love.
Reach me,
Feel me.

You hold on!
Hard to see you settling down.

Don’t give up!
Try and get it back some how.

I can feel it!
You and I we’re madly in love.

We were so close!
We’re both coming closer now.

Slowing down, don’t think twice.
I’m turning round, Let’s try and break the ice.

(Chorus)

Baby!
Reach me,
Feel me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Love me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

FADES…

Friendly Stranger
Some background on "The Other Stranger" from the artist Frank Brinkhuis:

"Completely forgotten about 'Strange'. It is actually a recording Hanjo/C. Stein and I did early 1984 at a time we were not sure what direction to go after Ende Shneafliet. Later that year Trumpett received a letter from ADN in Milan, who wanted to do a cassette album by Doxa Sinistra. However, Doxa Sinistra had broken up in 1983 already. Then Hanjo and Brian decided to use the moniker and become Doxa Sinistra Mark II. They used 'Strange' and added samples and strings.The whah sound in 'The Other Stranger’ is a TB-303 Bass Line sent through a Formant synth (with Hanjo twiddling the knobs and filters which he later destroyed) and a tiny bit of additional flange. The track was recorded early 1984."

This is the original "no samples" version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxqPIJ0-Z4

Dayvan Cowboy
theotherstranger wrote:Some background on "The Other Stranger" from the artist Frank Brinkhuis:

"Completely forgotten about 'Strange'. It is actually a recording Hanjo/C. Stein and I did early 1984 at a time we were not sure what direction to go after Ende Shneafliet. Later that year Trumpett received a letter from ADN in Milan, who wanted to do a cassette album by Doxa Sinistra. However, Doxa Sinistra had broken up in 1983 already. Then Hanjo and Brian decided to use the moniker and become Doxa Sinistra Mark II. They used 'Strange' and added samples and strings.The whah sound in 'The Other Stranger’ is a TB-303 Bass Line sent through a Formant synth (with Hanjo twiddling the knobs and filters which he later destroyed) and a tiny bit of additional flange. The track was recorded early 1984."

This is the original "no samples" version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxqPIJ0-Z4

Thanks! Really interesting insight into the track and hearing a previous version of it is pretty nice.
I have to say that I prefer the version with samples, even without the samples they seem to have altered the sounds somewhat in post production and it works.

Eagle Minded
The 'Blue Aquarius' discovery a few pages back is superb and complicates the origin of the track's name. I can't believe they told us the source of the sample in 1998 and it took over 20 years for us to realise.

I wonder whether they sampled the Hair track's bassline first, which gave the BoC track its name, and then added the "I'm listening" sample later on (perhaps for version 3, depending on when the 'Societas version' was produced) based on the name 'Blue Aquarius'?

Dayvan Cowboy
Omikron wrote:The 'Blue Aquarius' discovery a few pages back is superb and complicates the origin of the track's name. I can't believe they told us the source of the sample in 1998 and it took over 20 years for us to realise.

I wonder whether they sampled the Hair track's bassline first, which gave the BoC track its name, and then added the "I'm listening" sample later on (perhaps for version 3, depending on when the 'Societas version' was produced) based on the name 'Blue Aquarius'?

Pretty surreal.

As for the 'Hair' track, It seems that they either obtained a master (unlikely) or recreated it using other methods. There is no other way to isolate the bass track from the percussion as we heard in the live performance(s)

The percussion sounds slightly different in the 'Aquarius/Chinook' version, a version in which the bass and percussion aren't at all separated. There isn't that (how do I explain it?) dum dul um dum part of the percussion track that we hear on later versions that were likely recreated.

Friendly Stranger
Valo, I am almost sure that BoC played the Aquarius bass line themselves for Music Has The Right To Children. You can hear differences in the phrasing and overall feel.

And while we're appreciating the "I'm listening" sample from the Blue Aquarius album, I want to direct attention back to SI FIk's other Societas discovery in case anyone missed it on the previous page:

Sl Flk wrote:Ready Let's go sample in here. What I once thought could have been captures of short wave radio stuff I now believe it is this passed through a bit of a wobble effect. 100% convinced on this one. Found from listening to the full album of Stefan Zauner that was played on the mix. Excellent prog rock album I've never heard before.

https://youtu.be/9teU6BZC1SM?t=937
Last edited by dustbowl27 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
Are BoC just subtly revealing all of their sample sources with this mixtape?

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:Are BoC just subtly revealing all of their sample sources with this mixtape?

Just ever so indirectly yeah. But they are certainly conscious of it. All I can say is they must have had very good teachers or been in contact with some crazy vinyl trader with a steady supply of mushrooms.

Boqurant
hey, i just made this in 10 minutes because i realized that BoC have actually used the multitracks (these are quite easy to find) from Grace Jones and Imagination tracks rather than just reworking the originals or sampling them. i'm sorry, everything sounds really shitty but it's just an example: https://instaud.io/3Xj3

Dayvan Cowboy
broke wrote:hey, i just made this in 10 minutes because i realized that BoC have actually used the multitracks (these are quite easy to find) from Grace Jones and Imagination tracks rather than just reworking the originals or sampling them. i'm sorry, everything sounds really shitty but it's just an example: https://instaud.io/3Xj3

That was a very decent job considering it was mostly just thrown together.
Nice one :mrgreen:

Eagle Minded
Decided to dig out all I can from the artists they played. Jasper van't Hof first. Beginning of this sounds very familliar but can't put my finger on it:
phpBB [media]

Beginning here sounds A LOT like The Smallest Weird Number :?
phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
Sl Flk wrote:I have tried to work out the lyrics to Flayer - Wanna get back your love (mix 1) if anyone is interested.

It is great to hear a track where the words are so obscure and hard to fathom that your brain sort of fills in the pieces. I've not done this sort of thing since being a love sick 13 year old with a cassette recorder and a pause button. So, it was a nice feeling to visit that old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4PPwNWeZCg

I knew it!
That it had to end some time.

And I feel it!
Kind of like deep down inside. Yeah

And I don’t know what!
Feelings that I can’t describe.

Out of our time.
It’s your love I have to find.

Driving fast, feeling down.
I confess (I will not lose you twice)
( I will not do you harm). I think it says both things here layered?

(Chorus)

Baby!
Reach me,
Feel me.

You hold on!
Hard to see you settling down.

Don’t give up!
Try and get it back some how.

I can feel it!
You and I we’re madly in love.

We were so close!
We’re both coming closer now.

Slowing down, don’t think twice.
I’m turning round, Let’s try and break the ice.

(Chorus)

Baby!
Reach me,
Feel me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Love me,
Touch me.

Reach me,
Feel me.

Yearn me,
Touch me.

FADES…

Thanks for this Mike, it's been bugging the hell out of me. On my first listen I thought it was some outrageously good Bee Gees rarity...being a massive fan of them, I was hooked from the off anyhoo.

Cheers for all the other tidbits re: the mix, you two have really spoiled us.

New album please.

Eagle Minded
Just chiming in to say that I've been interested in reading everyone's thoughts. Neat stuff!

Going to hit the beach and listen to Societas X again. I did it the other day and the very end of it when Sea Cathedral played was not only very fitting, but it was an all around incredibly moving experience. I've listened to the entire mixtape so many times that I don't want to give away the number out of embarrassment, like I've nothing else to do lol ;)

I love you all. :twisted:

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada