Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
Over at DJ Food's Scrapbook I noticed that he referenced the WXAXRXP 30 event and had the following to say about the Societas X mix. "Boards of Canada dropping a rare mix of inspirations scattered with little unreleased sketches from their archive." As Food is a long time Warp collaborator and close associate of the Bros (he was given one of only five CDR's of the Peel Session) is this confirmation that some of the unidentified tracks are BOC originals.

Eagle Minded
Ektachrome wrote:Over at DJ Food's Scrapbook I noticed that he referenced the WXAXRXP 30 event and had the following to say about the Societas X mix. "Boards of Canada dropping a rare mix of inspirations scattered with little unreleased sketches from their archive." As Food is a long time Warp collaborator and close associate of the Bros (he was given one of only five CDR's of the Peel Session) is this confirmation that some of the unidentified tracks are BOC originals.

Most likely, yes I believe it is a indirect confirmation of the unreleased tracks still in question. Very intriguing.

Sherbet Head
Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see

Friendly Stranger
Regarding DJ Food, I don't agree. I spoke to him online to ask if he had yet heard it and he hadn't and was actually looking for a download link so he could. The fact that he mentioned it more than likely coincides with his round up of 'currently listening to' on his webiste/Facebook etc. The blurb behind this most likely came from what he had already read online about it.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Eagle Minded
Makes sense, I'd retract my earlier statement now that I know he hasn't heard it yet, lol. I suppose I still feel very strongly that the unreleased tracks are the work of BoC. If they're not, then I'll get a Turquoise Hexagon Sun tattoo. Fuck it, I should probably get that anyways at this point, being the borderline obsessed fan that I am.

PS; "Your choice is five" - I bet they added that one in there to get us thinking about the fifth album. Just kidding, of course :P

Posts Quantity
Each time I listen to this tape I find myself a new favorite track, now its 'Vulcan Mind Probe'.
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Dayvan Cowboy
fefor wrote:Each time I listen to this tape I find myself a new favorite track, now its 'Vulcan Mind Probe'.

That's my favorite from the tape generally. Really interesting progression.

Boqurant
I'm just bugged by the fact that coL - This flat earth isn't anywhere on the internet. The album with the song is unavailable on Spotify and there is nothing on youtube. Should I write an email to Jesuswahol? (coL's label)

Dayvan Cowboy
Mansin wrote:I'm just bugged by the fact that coL - This flat earth isn't anywhere on the internet. The album with the song is unavailable on Spotify and there is nothing on youtube. Should I write an email to Jesuswahol? (coL's label)

Happy first post :mrgreen:
It might be worth a try, actually. I've gotten some good results on certain questions from people in the industry by sending very politely worded emails their way.

Sherbet Head
Mansin wrote:I'm just bugged by the fact that coL - This flat earth isn't anywhere on the internet. The album with the song is unavailable on Spotify and there is nothing on youtube. Should I write an email to Jesuswahol? (coL's label)

Search it up on reddit, someone already emailed them. they replied :)

iirc they are mastering a bunch of albums that are going to come out
Suck my BUTT

Boqurant
TheStatPow wrote:

Search it up on reddit, someone already emailed them. they replied :)

iirc they are mastering a bunch of albums that are going to come out

Neat! I can't wait for that. Do you have a link to that reddit post because I can't find it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mansin wrote:Neat! I can't wait for that. Do you have a link to that reddit post because I can't find it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardsofcanada ... e_comment/

Eagle Minded
Just popping in to say hi :D The mixtape really is special and I've been enjoying it very much so. Skateboarding to it during the day is always a fantastic experience, it pairs very nicely with summer and good weather. I wish we could get BoC to make us a personal playlist every weekend lol, that's the world of my dreams.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:Just popping in to say hi :D The mixtape really is special and I've been enjoying it very much so. Skateboarding to it during the day is always a fantastic experience, it pairs very nicely with summer and good weather. I wish we could get BoC to make us a personal playlist every weekend lol, that's the world of my dreams.

Hey! :D
Just out of curiosity, do you ever listen to your classical whilst skating? That sounds like it would be kind of serene. I wish I could recall the name but there was quite an arty film set in the pacific northwest that featured a lot of 8mm shots of skateboarders over classical music. I really liked those scenes. The rest of the film wasn't my favorite though as other parts of it were a bit too on the nose and pretentious. If anyone can fill me in on which film I am thinking of, I would be most grateful, though.

Also, yes. I think I said earlier that if BoC ever wanted to give up their standard productions and go into monthly DJ sets, given what we heard a couple of weeks ago, that would actually be amazing.

New Seed
I don't know if anyone mentioned this connection to the cold wave Label - The FM-BX Society Label which released two "society tapes" in the 1980s
That makes perfect sense for the concept of the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOz3vGdNXY

Eagle Minded
that tune is amazing ^
lone.bandcamp.com

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote: Just out of curiosity, do you ever listen to your classical whilst skating?

Of course :) my father always says classical tires him out but for me its been the opposite: it energizes me. Although I might add that as of the past few weeks I've been on a Societas X and Autechre kick for skateboarding :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Lone wrote:that tune is amazing ^

Seconded.

Happy first post, eaglewhalebear :mrgreen:

Eagle Minded
phpBB [media]

is anyone else reminded of Tomorrow's Harvest when that track before the Illusion remix plays? It sounds like it'd be some sort of demo/ sketch for the album or whatever

Dayvan Cowboy
ParticleGhost.
Was it you that said it sounded more like a Telecaster on Hey Saturday Sun?
You are actually probably right, just to let you know. That is a decent ear you have.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada