Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
There were 14 copies of the Sinking Ships ‎– The Cinema Clock / Strangers 7" for sale on discogs yesterday. Down to just 2 copies left now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1354502?ev=rb

Eagle Minded
It's great that it's been found. Funny you know. Cos the band are from Lincoln (not far from where I was born) and I recognised the accent of the singer and started looking into 80's indie bands from the area.

On a completely different note has anyone seen this?

Eagle Minded

Eagle Minded
This surely can't be a coincidence? Can it? It's remarkable if it is. The band members of the sinking ships include Colin Hopkirk, Nick Green, Simon Brighton, Terry Welbourn. Now there is an author called Terry Welbourne who is from Grantham Lincolnshire :-

https://www.johnhuntpublishing.com/o-bo ... y-welbourn

And both a Simon Brighton and Terry Welbourn worked on this book together?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echoes-Goddess ... 0711034192

Are they Hexagon Sun members lol. It just seems a little strange

Eagle Minded
Nope... it's not a coincidence. They are the very same

https://www.discogs.com/The-ARC-Collect ... se/1626400

Posts Quantity
Unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem very strange to me.

Just seems that two of the band members wrote a book together.

Happy Cycler
Valotonin wrote:As the tracks titles are coming in it is evident that there is likely no BoC on this compilation other than the mashup/remix of the Imagination track. This is the second time they have used Imagination's music (at least in their publicly available music) - the first is "We've started up" for those that didn't already know.

Anyway, I am becoming evermore convinced that the shoegaze (always disliked the term, but whatever) interlude isn't them. Who is it? It sounds like a Tremolo EP or Loveless outtake. Is Kevin sharing his tapes with them?

I actually did not know that about We've Started Up. Nice connection. Thanks!

Eagle Minded
outhudd wrote:Unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem very strange to me.

Just seems that two of the band members wrote a book together.

Yeah, perhaps. I live in such isolation, button clicking away that some things (most things) overwhelm me and I become obsessive. It is perhaps nothing.

But it is interesting to see the books they have written are about the past. It seems they are preoccupied with the past. Boards of Canada seem more interested in the past than the future. Even when they are expressing future events (tomorrow's harvest) it seems to be done from the point of view of the past.

Here's an article which you may (or may not) find interesting. It seems Terry Welbourn (from sinking ships) wants answers to who was responsible for the anti vietnam graffiti on a bridge in Grantham Lincolnshire, which he remembers seeing as he was growing up

Quote from the article :-

"I first noticed the slogans as a child in the late 1960s whilst being driven from Grantham to Lincoln by my uncle to visit my father who was recovering from a cataract operation in Lincoln Hospital."

Just like we were all obsessing about who made this ' such a long time ago' track. He wants to know who wrote those words on that wall such a long time ago. Who knows? It could have even inspired the song in the first place. It seems almost like fractal occurrences through time.

Is there a point to this post? I'm not to be the judge of that. I personally like to go down the rabbit hole with most things in life.

Eagle Minded

Posts Quantity
NTS Facebook post about the post punk find: https://www.facebook.com/ntsradiolive/p ... 1275840444

Eagle Minded
I found one of the members of The sinking Ships email at the bottom of this article. He had been searching for something old. So I emailed him to let him know that certain internet communities had been trying to locate this record they recorded such a long time ago.

Still making music!!! Two of the original band members. I highly recommend the track John Dee King of Crows. Here are the corresponding emails.

Hi Terry,

I hope this email is still in use and that this does eventually find you. I have just finished reading this article about your search for the person that wrote anti war graffiti on the bridges around Grantham in the 1960s. Did you ever find the person responsible? I hate to get your hopes up. But I am not the one you’re looking for. I have a different reason for emailing you.

There has recently been a search online by various communities looking for a song that was played during a mix by Boards of Canada - you can listen to it here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXV1dsx5yfs

News Article -

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/ ... 1-7623655/

Am I right in thinking that you were involved in making the song Strangers by The Sinking Ships?

https://www.discogs.com/Sinking-Ships-T ... se/1354502

Anyway, if you are... Boards of Canada played your song in the mix (at 1:22.45) and certain internet communities (and myself) have been going crazy trying to find out who was responsible for this lovely track. Someone found out the artist yesterday and I’ve been doing a little searching and googling. One link led to another and eventually found this article which I believe is you. I thought you would want to know (if you don’t already) that this was all happening.

It seems a little strange to me. Almost like a fractal story repeating itself through history. You were looking for your man. We were looking for ours. Now you are being emailed by a stranger about something a long time ago.

I hope to hear from you. If you could confirm anything that would be great. It would be even greater if you did find the person responsible for the graffiti. But even if you didn’t. The fact that the article was posted meant that you got this email.

If indeed this is not you and I have got completely the wrong end of the stick then please tell me to F off :)

Kind regards,

Tom

-----

Responce

-----

Hi Tom,
How interesting. Yes, it is me singing with my post-punk band Sinking Ships. The track was a single released on the Dead Good/Stark label in 1980. It was a double A-Side, along with 'The Cinema Clock'. It picked up some favourable reviews in all the main music mags and got played a few times by John Peel.

I still keep in contact with Nick Green, the drummer and Simon Brighton (guitar) and I are still recording together. We were part of The Sons of TC Lethbridge project, 'A Giant' (2003) produced by Julian Cope. We have just released our latest album called 'Sodden Dogs and Blind, Winged Horses': duir1.bandcamp.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnsbts ... nqcx0vYm2A

I'm glad you liked our track which was written when I was 22. I'm now 60 - where have the years gone?

Best wishes, Terry

PS. I did eventually get to the bottom of the bridge grafitti, but it's a long story!

----

End of email thread

How must that feel to have your music come back to life again all these years later

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:I found one of the members of The sinking Ships email at the bottom of this article. He had been searching for something old. So I emailed him to let him know that certain internet communities had been trying to locate this record they recorded such a long time ago.

Still making music!!! Two of the original band members. I highly recommend the track John Dee King of Crows. Here are the corresponding emails.

Hi Terry,

I hope this email is still in use and that this does eventually find you. I have just finished reading this article about your search for the person that wrote anti war graffiti on the bridges around Grantham in the 1960s. Did you ever find the person responsible? I hate to get your hopes up. But I am not the one you’re looking for. I have a different reason for emailing you.

There has recently been a search online by various communities looking for a song that was played during a mix by Boards of Canada - you can listen to it here :-

News Article -

Am I right in thinking that you were involved in making the song Strangers by The Sinking Ships?

Anyway, if you are... Boards of Canada played your song in the mix (at 1:22.45) and certain internet communities (and myself) have been going crazy trying to find out who was responsible for this lovely track. Someone found out the artist yesterday and I’ve been doing a little searching and googling. One link led to another and eventually found this article which I believe is you. I thought you would want to know (if you don’t already) that this was all happening.

It seems a little strange to me. Almost like a fractal story repeating itself through history. You were looking for your man. We were looking for ours. Now you are being emailed by a stranger about something a long time ago.

I hope to hear from you. If you could confirm anything that would be great. It would be even greater if you did find the person responsible for the graffiti. But even if you didn’t. The fact that the article was posted meant that you got this email.

If indeed this is not you and I have got completely the wrong end of the stick then please tell me to F off :)

Kind regards,

Tom

-----

Responce

-----

Hi Tom,
How interesting. Yes, it is me singing with my post-punk band Sinking Ships. The track was a single released on the Dead Good/Stark label in 1980. It was a double A-Side, along with 'The Cinema Clock'. It picked up some favourable reviews in all the main music mags and got played a few times by John Peel.

I still keep in contact with Nick Green, the drummer and Simon Brighton (guitar) and I are still recording together. We were part of The Sons of TC Lethbridge project, 'A Giant' (2003) produced by Julian Cope. We have just released our latest album called 'Sodden Dogs and Blind, Winged Horses': duir1.bandcamp.com

I'm glad you liked our track which was written when I was 22. I'm now 60 - where have the years gone?

Best wishes, Terry

PS. I did eventually get to the bottom of the bridge grafitti, but it's a long story!

----

End of email thread

How must that feel to have your music come back to life again all these years later

That's a really touching email. You phrased things really poignantly when talking to him. I have a feeling if I wrote a similar message, it'd have all the subtlety of a jackhammer. Great job!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
What if when we find every track, we get the next album? Lol, I'm only kidding.

This is awesome, though. Keep up the great work, everyone!

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:What if when we find every track, we get the next album? Lol, I'm only kidding.

This is awesome, though. Keep up the great work, everyone!

Haha, imagine.

Anyway, still no closer to sourcing that 'Shoegaze' interlude/track.
You are an intelligent bunch. Can we shift the lens towards that track to see what we can find?

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:As the tracks titles are coming in it is evident that there is likely no BoC on this compilation other than the mashup/remix of the Imagination

Mozart wrote: I suppose I still feel very strongly that the unreleased tracks are the work of BoC. If they're not, then I'll get a Turquoise Hexagon Sun tattoo.

I made that comment towards the beginning of this thread right after Societas X. Looks like I'm getting closer to having to get it! And I didn't make the comment as a joke. I'm the type that really will get it. :twisted:

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:What if when we find every track, we get the next album? Lol, I'm only kidding. !

I was going to post this, but I was afraid someone would think I was serious. The funny thing though is the third parallel between the Doxa detectives and what Twoism is currently doing. I'm waiting for the last thing to be found is an album cover with a girl with a red satin sweater and a release date hidden somewhere on it.

Like Mozart, I'm only joking though. :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
I think we should all pause for a moment and listen to this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9VoLCO-d6U

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:I found one of the members of The sinking Ships email at the bottom of this article. He had been searching for something old. So I emailed him to let him know that certain internet communities had been trying to locate this record they recorded such a long time ago.

Hi Terry,

News Article -

Kind regards,

Tom

-----

Responce

-----

Hi Tom,

Best wishes, Terry

----

End of email thread

Fantastic, great job reaching out to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
If there is anything that Societas X has taught us, it would be that they are not afraid to put together music that is all over the place and somehow make it flow in a seamless fashion. If you start to ponder the idea of Societas X, I guess it is not out of the realm of possibility that perhaps it was something of a pilot test to see how the fanbase would react to a wild trip down a rabbit hole. That begs a question with regard to the next album: is it going to be uncharted territory for BoC where they will be putting themselves way out in left field, or do you think they'll "stick to their roots"? I'm starting to think more and more that they are at a juncture where they are interested in taking their music in an entirely new direction. The transformation of Boards of Canada over time will always be something that intrigues me to no avail. With Societas X, one simply cannot help but have an emotional response to many of the tracks on there- it just has a way with resonating with the listener on a level that is simply hard to describe. I am willing to bet that these type of emotions will surface again in the next album.

Boqurant
Mozart wrote:If there is anything that Societas X has taught us, it would be that they are not afraid to put together music that is all over the place and somehow make it flow in a seamless fashion. If you start to ponder the idea of Societas X, I guess it is not out of the realm of possibility that perhaps it was something of a pilot test to see how the fanbase would react to a wild trip down a rabbit hole. That begs a question with regard to the next album: is it going to be uncharted territory for BoC where they will be putting themselves way out in left field, or do you think they'll "stick to their roots"? I'm starting to think more and more that they are at a juncture where they are interested in taking their music in an entirely new direction. The transformation of Boards of Canada over time will always be something that intrigues me to no avail. With Societas X, one simply cannot help but have an emotional response to many of the tracks on there- it just has a way with resonating with the listener on a level that is simply hard to describe. I am willing to bet that these type of emotions will surface again in the next album.
I too hope that BoC's next album (whenever it may drop) is able to capture the same sort of feeling that Societas x Tape has conjured up in me. There's something very special about this tape that I can't put my finger on. It really does give off a certain vibe that is undoubtedly Boards, while having an identity of its own. Regardless of what happens in the future, this has been a musical experience unlike any other for me and I am very greatful to have been here when it dropped and to excitedly watch the tracklist be updated over time.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to making this mixtape so much more than just a mixtape :)

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada