Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
I'm feeling a bit spooked out by this. Of course we all know that Charles Manson taught something what he called 'Helter Skelter' to his followers. Well. On the BBC news website at exactly 12 midnight on the 50th anniversary of the Sharon Tate Manson murders in 1969 this appears :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... DUJPaIexzA

Is the new Boards of Canada album at the top of the slide?

No seriously... What the fuck is this? Their is no chance this is a coincidence. This is a message.

Posts Quantity
Sl Flk wrote:I'm feeling a bit spooked out by this. Of course we all know that Charles Manson taught something what he called 'Helter Skelter' to his followers. Well. On the BBC news website at exactly 12 midnight on the 50th anniversary of the Sharon Tate Manson murders in 1969 this appears :

No seriously... What the fuck is this? Their is no chance this is a coincidence. This is a message.

It is strange, and for me the fact that it's in a cathedral makes it weirder.

Also the song at 0:15 sounds like IABPOITC.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
WaitingFor_22 wrote:
Sl Flk wrote:I'm feeling a bit spooked out by this. Of course we all know that Charles Manson taught something what he called 'Helter Skelter' to his followers. Well. On the BBC news website at exactly 12 midnight on the 50th anniversary of the Sharon Tate Manson murders in 1969 this appears :

It is strange, and for me the fact that it's in a cathedral makes it weirder.

Also the song at 0:15 sounds like IABPOITC.

Boards of Canada had a 90 minute slot in a radio show in 2002 called HELTER SKELTER. The first track to be broadcast was 1969, with the lyric "1969 in the sunshine". Could that refer to the nine Manson Family murders in the summer of 1969?

Sherbet Head
The only actual connection to this and boc is the name 'helter skelter'
calm down..

Posts Quantity
And Helter Skelter was just a show on a Paris radio station which played some Boards of Canada once. No involvement from the band or Warp etc, they just did a kind of 'best of' / intro / sampler type show highlighting BoC.

I think this is called apophenia.

Eagle Minded
I'm not agreeing that a helter skelter being constructed in a cathedral means there is a new BoC album (in the same way that I don't think that two members of an 80s band writing a book together means they are members of Hexagon Sun)

Nonetheless, a link between 1969 and Charles Manson is not something I've heard being discussed or thought about before. I'd say it's more likely to be the target of the track's reference than the date of the authorship of the satanic bible.

Friendly Stranger
Sl Flk wrote:
Hi Terry,

I hope this email is still in use and that this does eventually find you. I have just finished reading this article about your search for the person that wrote anti war graffiti on the bridges around Grantham in the 1960s. Did you ever find the person responsible? I hate to get your hopes up. But I am not the one you’re looking for. I have a different reason for emailing you.

There has recently been a search online by various communities looking for a song that was played during a mix by Boards of Canada - you can listen to it here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXV1dsx5yfs

News Article -

https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/news/ ... 1-7623655/

Am I right in thinking that you were involved in making the song Strangers by The Sinking Ships?

https://www.discogs.com/Sinking-Ships-T ... se/1354502

Anyway, if you are... Boards of Canada played your song in the mix (at 1:22.45) and certain internet communities (and myself) have been going crazy trying to find out who was responsible for this lovely track. Someone found out the artist yesterday and I’ve been doing a little searching and googling. One link led to another and eventually found this article which I believe is you. I thought you would want to know (if you don’t already) that this was all happening.

It seems a little strange to me. Almost like a fractal story repeating itself through history. You were looking for your man. We were looking for ours. Now you are being emailed by a stranger about something a long time ago.

I hope to hear from you. If you could confirm anything that would be great. It would be even greater if you did find the person responsible for the graffiti. But even if you didn’t. The fact that the article was posted meant that you got this email.

If indeed this is not you and I have got completely the wrong end of the stick then please tell me to F off :)

Kind regards,

Tom

-----

Responce

-----

Hi Tom,
How interesting. Yes, it is me singing with my post-punk band Sinking Ships. The track was a single released on the Dead Good/Stark label in 1980. It was a double A-Side, along with 'The Cinema Clock'. It picked up some favourable reviews in all the main music mags and got played a few times by John Peel.

I still keep in contact with Nick Green, the drummer and Simon Brighton (guitar) and I are still recording together. We were part of The Sons of TC Lethbridge project, 'A Giant' (2003) produced by Julian Cope. We have just released our latest album called 'Sodden Dogs and Blind, Winged Horses': duir1.bandcamp.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnsbts ... nqcx0vYm2A

I'm glad you liked our track which was written when I was 22. I'm now 60 - where have the years gone?

Best wishes, Terry

PS. I did eventually get to the bottom of the bridge grafitti, but it's a long story!

----

End of email thread

How must that feel to have your music come back to life again all these years later

I think it's worth nothing that BoC once referenced Julian Cope in an early interview. I'm not sure if they know him or if he's just an influence.

Couldn't ask for a better way to resolve the mystery post-punk song. Thank you for reaching out Sl Flk.

Posts Quantity
outhudd wrote:I think this is called apophenia.

This is twoism in a nutshell.

Dayvan Cowboy

If there's any mention of Helter Skelter anywhere on BBC I think the the likeliest reason would be a reference to the Beatles, which is where Manson got the term from in the first place.

Posts Quantity
Small comment / prediction: The two minute "drum, discordant noises" one at 42:10 will never be found.

Dayvan Cowboy
The one thing that made me say "hold it for just one cotton picking moment" was when the cathedral organ started to play the drone of A Beatuiful Place Out In The Country.

Also Boards do have a track on Acid Memories called "Helter Skater." I'm starting to wonder if the cover of Acid Memories is meant to represent "1969 in the sunshine"
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
A friend of mine was there today, and it's just the church being quirky. I mean, it is Norfolk after all. :)

Eagle Minded
Hmmm apophenia, the beginning stages of schizophrenia. Shit... I hope not. I'm a bit worried now. I've been going through a huge existential crisis in my life and have withdrawn into booze and weed. I am trying hard to stop. Three days in without a drink or a smoke and I feel a bit stronger. Hopefully I can tackle my problems and get my life back on track.

It's not like I believe these things are connected in any way to Boards of Canada. I know they're not. I am just probably seeing connections where there are none. Then again... Who are these psychiatrists to say what is real or not. No one has any idea what this is. I mean, what the hell is this? What on earth is going on?

Someone again mentions BoC mentioning Julian Cope. Another coincidence? apophenia - Twoism in a nutshell. Are we all just mad?

Sherbet Head
Best way to get off drugs I found.. See how many miles you can walk in a day, how many miles you can walk in a week, see how many you can walk in a month.. and then how many you can walk in a year.
try to beat it the next year.
only side effect.. You become incredibly fit

Eagle Minded
For what it's worth, I love hearing your thoughts, Soul Flask. Please keep posting them, they are very entertaining to me :) When we are left with next to nothing to speculate about, you are there to keep the conversation going. That's not easy to do and I respect that. Keep up the fantastic work!

Sl Flk wrote:Are we all just mad?

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:Best way to get off drugs I found.. See how many miles you can walk in a day, how many miles you can walk in a week, see how many you can walk in a month.. and then how many you can walk in a year.
try to beat it the next year.
only side effect.. You become incredibly fit

Thanks luminousdusk. I'll get a pedometer and try that. I walk a bit in my job. I think It's finally sinking in that I am destroying myself instead of facing up to my mistakes, my guilt and forgiving myself. I feel I will get there.

By the way... It was all a mistake now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49292493

Sherbet Head
Try a GPS app or GPS device it's more accurate for distance

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:The one thing that made me say "hold it for just one cotton picking moment" was when the cathedral organ started to play the drone of A Beatuiful Place Out In The Country."

I think I found it!

phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
You guys are such nutters :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:
Echelon wrote:The one thing that made me say "hold it for just one cotton picking moment" was when the cathedral organ started to play the drone of A Beatuiful Place Out In The Country."

I think I found it!

phpBB [media]

Great! add it to the Societas X tape list :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada