Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
babylulu wrote:Bocpages posted about a theory that the next album is going to be space inspired, but what I'm hoping for is an album that's inspired by folklore. The theory is that since TH is about the destruction of the world, they're going to make an album dealing thematically with the destruction of the universe/space. But I think it would be really cool to see BOC turn the clock even further back and make an album informed by folklore, something that could come out on Ghost Box. Along the lines of Sir Prancealot
Brainfire and Forest Moon, I would love to see British countryside folklore take a spooky BOC turn.

That sounds like a great theory, I like this folklore idea! :wink:

Still it's probably best to post your BoC speculative thoughts on our 900+ page opus entitled General New Release Speculation Topic.

Posts Quantity
I uploaded the new Audio Quality here:
phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
Has anyone noticed that "soon the queen will come our way" sounds a lot like Sir Prancelot Brainfire?

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Alan Parker (behind the original Sir Prancelot theme) is behind dozens of library music LPs, is anyone willing to check them out?

Eagle Minded
Not to take things on an unnecessary tangent, but I was wondering what you all thought about the following:

Listening to SxT, it sounds a lot like we're hearing someone at the control board kicking things off and maybe even a bong rip being taken? It's right in the beginning. Almost reminds me of trying to run to the living room with munchies and drinks before a midnight movie comes back from commercial.
Anyway, I like the idea that there's a mic in the room while BoC are actually listening to the broadcast/recording along with us.

Sometimes it sounds like there is room noise.

That's probably a better way for me to put it.
Thoughts?

I personally like the thought that they're sitting at a massive console in their studio, smoking some weed, drinking some beers, digging all the cool tunes they found. Maybe they're even watching the forum react in real time, doing that whole, "Wow, nice catch, Twoism!" thing.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
Sky and Trails wrote:Not to take things on an unnecessary tangent, but I was wondering what you all thought about the following:

Listening to SxT, it sounds a lot like we're hearing someone at the control board kicking things off and maybe even a bong rip being taken? It's right in the beginning. Almost reminds me of trying to run to the living room with munchies and drinks before a midnight movie comes back from commercial.
Anyway, I like the idea that there's a mic in the room while BoC are actually listening to the broadcast/recording along with us.

Thoughts?

I personally like the thought that they're sitting at a massive console in their studio, smoking some weed, drinking some beers, digging all the cool tunes they found. Maybe they're even watching the forum react in real time, doing that whole, "Wow, nice catch, Twoism!" thing.

lol that's literally how it made me feel
like "fuck its starting!!!!"
interesting thoughts

Eagle Minded
hexagonFox wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Not to take things on an unnecessary tangent, but I was wondering what you all thought about the following:

Thoughts?

lol that's literally how it made me feel
like "fuck its starting!!!!"
interesting thoughts

I'm not alone!
Now when I listen to it, that's all I see, is the brothers sitting in front of the console. I don't know who is hitting the bong, but I think they're the one that hit the damned fast-forward and rewind buttons on the deck. :wink:
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dayvan Cowboy
Yellow Magic Orchestra's Light In Darkness features these synth lines in the background that sound extremely familiar. Major BOC vibes from them and I'm trying to remember which BOC tune they make me think of. All I know is I see why they chose this track.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Put on SXT again tonight. Does anyone else find the tape keeps getting better with each full listen?
1986 Summer Fire

Dayvan Cowboy
I wish we could find the missing tunes. I've been on a Societas binge lately where I hear the full record that it originated from and some of the best tunes haven't been found yet.

I don't think that any are BOC but man, I'd love to find out the source of em!

Hopefully we don't need to find all the tracks before they release their next record XD
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Listened to this for the first time in a while (I don't like to just listen to part of it) and gosh... I keep thinking that the last few unknown tunes could be them. The whole thing feels like a timeline of what they were listening to and what they were making. Not literally, I know there's later stuff mixed in with earlier stuff, but kind of a description of a musical journey. "We were listening to stuff like this, and around then we made this".

Everything we've thought was them turned out not to be, I know. But those few things that are left... it's so tempting.

Posts Quantity
I'm convinced none of the remaining tracks are by them.

As you say, we've been saying the remaining tracks must be BoC when there were still 15+ unknown tracks, and one by one they've all turned out not to be them.

And just because one or two may never be identified, still doesn't mean it's more likely to be them (eg as an explanation for why they're not identified yet).

Some of the tracks which we do have identified now have been one-off examples of individual work / digging / luck / serendipity of one person which could just as easily not have happened. And if it didn't, people would be saying those tracks must be BoC, even though we now know they aren't.

Posts Quantity
If you Listen all Songs in it's Full Duration, you have a Bonus of more 2 Hours and 17 Minutes.

phpBB [media]

Posts Quantity
The video was blocked worldwide, I had to remove it, so the best way to hear this extended version is at this link:

https://mega.nz/folder/3io3WbCD#zDVRwptxfGJgOHq1Yt7B4w

Eagle Minded
babylulu wrote:Bocpages posted about a theory that the next album is going to be space inspired, but what I'm hoping for is an album that's inspired by folklore. The theory is that since TH is about the destruction of the world, they're going to make an album dealing thematically with the destruction of the universe/space. But I think it would be really cool to see BOC turn the clock even further back and make an album informed by folklore, something that could come out on Ghost Box. Along the lines of Sir Prancealot Brainfire and Forest Moon, I would love to see British countryside folklore take a spooky BOC turn.

I like the idea of "folk music post-apocalypse". What kind of musical instruments would we fashion and how would they sound? How would we approach making music, passing it along, etc?

Friendly Stranger
I was screwing around on a minimoog vst (the old arturia one, from 2012 i think) earlier and stumbled onto this preset: https://vocaroo.com/19sgSxXTI1JZ

Sounds similar if not exactly the preset BOC snuck in there just before the Severed Heads' song, "We Have Come To Bless This House".

Boqurant
A great jam that has a lot of the flavor of Sociatas X using all vintage keys and an amazing drummer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhJTde4ZDo
Lisa Bella Donna is amazing.
vLG = 627 +- 22 km/s >>> L =276° +- 3: b = 30° +- 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npq_yb-xLmw

Eagle Minded
Does anyone else here think the unknown track with the lo-fi piano and pads sound a lot like Robert Turman?
Especially this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qpRn3My8Q

Posts Quantity
bungler666 wrote:Does anyone else here think the unknown track with the lo-fi piano and pads sound a lot like Robert Turman?
Especially this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qpRn3My8Q

Do you mean the first unknown one?

Not sure but that track you linked is fantastic.

Eagle Minded
Yeah. It’s probably not something by him but similar vibe.
And yes, it’s an absolutely outstanding track, whole album is fantastic.
His album ”Flux” from 1981 is also really great.

Eagle Minded
The best part about the societas tape (and possibly the true intention) is that it opens up a near lifetime of musical pathways to explore. I've been on a big library music kick for a while now ever since i heard that paul hart track.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada