Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Yeah I get cold earth vibes in the second half of the track with Skyliner percussion, the clicky percussion in the first half reminds me of the loop from the music70 site

Dayvan Cowboy
It is akin to the percussion and bass synth from seven forty seven in a way as well.

Eagle Minded
I love that little bit. I think it is another obscure library track.

New Seed
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
We don't know its a new track so it shouldn't be called a new track..

Sherbet Head
Yeah, plus I'd like for there to be new BoC in the set as much as the next guy but also could never see them using that MIDI piano in a million years
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
I've released a breeding pair of mice into the perpetually "out of order" gents room through the window out back. MDG can't stay in there forever.

If we stay quiet enough he will think the coast is clear and look for a new hiding spot. We can intercept him on the way and we might get an answer as to certain tracks on the societas tape to avoid them being credited to people who didn't create them.

Eagle Minded
Thank you for nottttt sm0kiiiiiiing.

Sherbet Head
Thank you for not smoking.. Where in real life might one come across such a phrase?

Eagle Minded
luminousdusk wrote:Thank you for not smoking.. Where in real life might one come across such a phrase?

Sherbet Head
Interesting.. Maybe they're acknowledging our long wait for a release. Perhaps the phrase could also refer to us not all going insane waiting for a release

New Seed
Mozart wrote:Thank you for nottttt sm0kiiiiiiing.

Been stuck in my head lately

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:ParticleGhost.
Was it you that said it sounded more like a Telecaster on Hey Saturday Sun?
You are actually probably right, just to let you know. That is a decent ear you have.

Hey saturday sun definitely sounds also to me like it has a Telecaster in it. I listen to BoC a lot in mono and sometimes I can hear their mixes a little differently and my brother built a very expensive custom Telecaster that sounds very similar, especially if ran through a crappy more flatter sounding amp

Eagle Minded
I think today marks the first day that I haven't listened to Societas X since the day we first heard it. Seems like there has been something of a lull in the discussion, and it is understandable since we've roughly tracked most of everything down. With each passing day, it seems more and more likely that the ones still in question are the work of BoC. Unless of course one of the tracks is something that is so obscure it isn't anywhere on the net. I suppose that another possibility is that we just don't recognize one of the tracks still up in the air, but that is doubtful IMO.

So for the sake of argument, let's just pretend that the tracks that are still in question are indeed the work of Boards of Canada. If so, then I couldn't be more excited for their next move. The ambient tunes in particular were absolutely enthralling and ethereal. Whatever the case may be, this little glimmer of hope is enough to satiate my thirst for more music by them.

In the mean time, and in the spirit of speculation, I'm still not 100% convinced that we haven't found a potential hidden message in there. So for me, the next time you all listen to Societas X, go full detective mode; analyze everything you hear. I fear that I am becoming the "tin foil hat" fanatical listener, but a few of the lyrics in there seem reminiscent of tiny clues. And I'm not solely talking about Doxa Sinistra (although that is certainly fun to tinker around with speculatively). Get to work, lads. We've got some more discovering to do.

Eagle Minded

Dayvan Cowboy
^ Haha, nice one Mozart. I can relate.

In regards to your previous post, it is an interesting point. There are almost certainly aspects of the tape that have slipped under the senses, whether deliberately or not and I do feel that repeated listens could at the very least unearth samples and segments/ production tricks that were previously unnoticed. I am not sure in terms of a hidden message. I have a feeling that BoC want to stray away from the totality of cryptic that they reached during the time surrounding Tomorrow's Harvest and dial it back somewhat. That is just instinct though, and it hasn't really been validated by much. There could well be something hidden within the Societas Tape that has yet to be found, though, who knows (-:

Boqurant
i have a feeling that, besides of the vignettes and the hell interface mega-aquarius-grace-jones-mashup, there are no boc tracks in this mixtape.

Dayvan Cowboy
broke wrote:i have a feeling that, besides of the vignettes and the hell interface mega-aquarius-grace-jones-mashup, there are no boc tracks in this mixtape.

I think you are likely right.

The transitions were beautifully mixed - literally the best transitions I have heard in some places and the vignettes were a really nice touch. Their central treat to the fans was the Imagination/Grace Jones/Aquarius mix.

We would be having the same discussions about the Doxa Sinistra track if we were unable to source it. People would be 100% certain of it being BoC's creation. If someone with no preconception knew that BoC were going to release a two hour mixtape comprised primarily of their influences, they would automatically assume that some of the tracks would be too obscure to source.

There's always a chance, though. A vague possibility that there is some unidentified Boards in there. I would work on sourcing the tracks we haven't managed to identify yet, though. There is no way to tell until we are told.

Dayvan Cowboy
I disagree. I think it would be just like them to mix in a couple of unreleased tracks without labeling anything. And there’s at least one ambient track in there (the one around ~57m, right before the second radio scan) that I’d be willing to bet money is BoC.

In fact I’d argue there might be more original work in there than we think. BoC have said they have a collection of 200+ instruments and they spend hours upon hours just playing and jamming. I bet they’ve made songs of wildly varying genres and styles.

I mean I’m in a band that practices once a week and has released only one album, and we still have hundreds of hours of jam sessions recorded, playing stuff that sounds completely different - jazz, sludge metal, punk, psychedelic rock, and some totally electronic tracks we’ve put together. They’re way too different to ever be put on an album together, but if we were putting together an eclectic mixtape that showcased our influences? We might put some of those tracks in there to show the different styles those influences have led us to work with.

I think the track at 57m, which sounds undeniably BoC, was added as sort of a signature, to show that there is unreleased material on the tape, some of which might be less obvious.

Eagle Minded
Maybe these guys are bluffin', but maybe they're not!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada