Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:
Echelon wrote:The one thing that made me say "hold it for just one cotton picking moment" was when the cathedral organ started to play the drone of A Beatuiful Place Out In The Country."

I think I found it!

phpBB [media]

Great! add it to the Societas X tape list :P
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Excuse me, but when does this play in the mix? Can I get timestamps for both videos?

Dayvan Cowboy
Mansin wrote:Excuse me, but when does this play in the mix? Can I get timestamps for both videos?

I was joking! Mozart identified a song that played in the background of the news video for the Helter Skelter that sounded like IABPAITC and I was basically making a joke that now we're identifying unrelated music as if it was Societas X Tape.

Eagle Minded
No, No No, No... Hold on for one second! For fuck sake!!!!! These coincidences are getting fucking ridiculous now. You remember how earlier I wrote that I recognised the accents of the song by the sinking ships (before I knew what song it was) to possibly be from my home town of Scunthorpe or near abouts... Well Lincoln , Grantham isn't too far away. Well now there are even more weird things...

The sinking ships featured on a compilation album Humberside compilation album 'Household Shocks' (STARK LPC 01- 1980)

Now read this from the website :-

http://www.darkentriesrecords.com/store ... shocks-lp/

Dark Entries is proud to present “Household Shocks”, a 16-track compilation of UK DIY/Synth/New Wave/Post-Punk originally released in 1980. The album showcases 9 bands from the thriving post-punk scene in Scunthorpe and the North of England. Operating on a shoestring budget, co-producers Chris Leaning and Paul Singleton (both of One Gang Logic), released "Household Shocks" on Stark Products, a label they founded in 1979. At almost 50 minutes of music, the album took four weeks to produce at the Studio Playground in Lincoln. It was supported heavily by the late Radio 1 DJ John Peel.

In July 1980 Paul Singleton and Chris Leaning opened a record shop in Lincolnshire, England. It opened under the name “All Tomorrow’s Parties”, but later moved to the city center and was renamed “Parade.” Through their growing local music scene and the separation of economic classes, their shop became the hangout for the local punk movement. It was there that the idea for “Household Shocks”, a compilation of their friend’s bands, was born. THUNDERBOYS offer three punky pop blazers and feature Carmel McCourt who who subsequently achieved chart success with her band Carmel. PRODUCT OF REASON contribute three haunting synthesizer heavy numbers. SINKING SHIPS supply two tracks of off-kilter dubbed out angst ('Weight Loss' is the best Gang of Four song not by the Gang of Four). JUVENILES provide two power pop jams. MYSTERY GIRLS supply one track of quirky post-punk that recalls The Prats. DEFECTORS, a female fronted quartet featuring COUM Transmissions affiliate Tony Menzies, grant us one superb track of somber gothic new wave. FAULT 151 serve a slice of wistful Flying Nun-esque indie pop featuring a 14-year old bassist. URBANTECH, a short-lived synth-punk outfit, deliver one delirious track. ONE GANG LOGIC contribute two metallic synthesizer drenched pieces and close the album with a somber atmosphere.

All songs have been remastered for vinyl by George Horn at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley. The vinyl comes housed in replica of Chris Leaning's original jacket design, which features a black and white photograph of a doll shocked by a vacuum cleaner. Each LP includes a copy of the double sided 11x11 insert that was included with the original pressing. “It was such an exciting time for everyone involved, creating and producing music was still quite new to many of us let alone running a record label and pressing vinyl” - Chris Leaning, 2015.

The fucking record shop in Lincolnshire was called 'All Tomorrow's Parties'. We've all heard that before. Now I am convinced this is not coincidence!!! I suspect that the person/s involved in that shop was something to do with the live event. Was it 1999? Or even something to do with Warp itself. Be it that Sheffield and Scunthorpe are not that far from one another and both steel cities and that Warp founders Steve Beckett and the late Rob Mitchell were both Sheffield steel workers before warps creation. I suspect some sort of community or circle of friends? Or am i being schizophrenic and in need of urgent hospitalisation?

Eagle Minded
Sl Flk wrote:No, No No, No... Hold on for one second! For fuck sake!!!!! These coincidences are getting fucking ridiculous now. You remember how earlier I wrote that I recognised the accents of the song by the sinking ships (before I knew what song it was) to possibly be from my home town of Scunthorpe or near abouts... Well Lincoln , Grantham isn't too far away. Well now there are even more weird things...

The sinking ships featured on a compilation album Humberside compilation album 'Household Shocks' (STARK LPC 01- 1980)

Now read this from the website :-

http://www.darkentriesrecords.com/store ... shocks-lp/

Dark Entries is proud to present “Household Shocks”, a 16-track compilation of UK DIY/Synth/New Wave/Post-Punk originally released in 1980. The album showcases 9 bands from the thriving post-punk scene in Scunthorpe and the North of England. Operating on a shoestring budget, co-producers Chris Leaning and Paul Singleton (both of One Gang Logic), released "Household Shocks" on Stark Products, a label they founded in 1979. At almost 50 minutes of music, the album took four weeks to produce at the Studio Playground in Lincoln. It was supported heavily by the late Radio 1 DJ John Peel.

In July 1980 Paul Singleton and Chris Leaning opened a record shop in Lincolnshire, England. It opened under the name “All Tomorrow’s Parties”, but later moved to the city center and was renamed “Parade.” Through their growing local music scene and the separation of economic classes, their shop became the hangout for the local punk movement. It was there that the idea for “Household Shocks”, a compilation of their friend’s bands, was born. THUNDERBOYS offer three punky pop blazers and feature Carmel McCourt who who subsequently achieved chart success with her band Carmel. PRODUCT OF REASON contribute three haunting synthesizer heavy numbers. SINKING SHIPS supply two tracks of off-kilter dubbed out angst ('Weight Loss' is the best Gang of Four song not by the Gang of Four). JUVENILES provide two power pop jams. MYSTERY GIRLS supply one track of quirky post-punk that recalls The Prats. DEFECTORS, a female fronted quartet featuring COUM Transmissions affiliate Tony Menzies, grant us one superb track of somber gothic new wave. FAULT 151 serve a slice of wistful Flying Nun-esque indie pop featuring a 14-year old bassist. URBANTECH, a short-lived synth-punk outfit, deliver one delirious track. ONE GANG LOGIC contribute two metallic synthesizer drenched pieces and close the album with a somber atmosphere.

All songs have been remastered for vinyl by George Horn at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley. The vinyl comes housed in replica of Chris Leaning's original jacket design, which features a black and white photograph of a doll shocked by a vacuum cleaner. Each LP includes a copy of the double sided 11x11 insert that was included with the original pressing. “It was such an exciting time for everyone involved, creating and producing music was still quite new to many of us let alone running a record label and pressing vinyl” - Chris Leaning, 2015.

The fucking record shop in Lincolnshire was called 'All Tomorrow's Parties'. We've all heard that before. Now I am convinced this is not coincidence!!! I suspect that the person/s involved in that shop was something to do with the live event. Was it 1999? Or even something to do with Warp itself. Be it that Sheffield and Scunthorpe are not that far from one another and both steel cities and that Warp founders Steve Beckett and the late Rob Mitchell were both Sheffield steel workers before warps creation. I suspect some sort of community or circle of friends? Or am i being schizophrenic and in need of urgent hospitalisation?

Fairly sure ATP had been going on quite a few years before BOC played it. First curated by Tortoise I believe in 97. The name is from a song by Velvet Underground. Was unique in that it was the first festival held at a butlins holiday camp. Some mates of mine went the year before boc played (wish I’d gone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Eagle Minded
fUck i should just go to bed. But still... The coincidence between BoC playing a track from the band that featured on a compilation album put together by a man that ran a shop in Scunthorpe called all tomorrow's parties which they would later go on to play? I can't help making connections in my head. Anyway... Makes for some historic reading :-

Real culture here. Real in the flesh culture instead of all this keyboard tapping and isolation we do nowadays.

https://personalpunk.wordpress.com/category/punk-rock/

Dayvan Cowboy
I used to smoke a lot and it got me into a bad way. Not that I am implying you are in a bad way, I was worse for quite a while. It got to the extent that I believed that BoC had some hidden involvement with Cypress Hill of all people and that the fact Insane in the Membrane fit 'seamlessly' over Happy Cycling meant something. It actually got worse than that to the extent that, shortly before the release of TH, my computer was acting up and the hard disc was making strange percussive sounds. I believed that to have been BoC hacking my computer and planting a hidden virus that caused it to play the Reach for the Dead percussion track. As after the album was released, I thought it held uncanny similarities.

I think the solution is to be perceptive of these things, but not fully subscribing to them. When I cut the marijuana and alcohol out, I became more of a person that could hold several opinions simultaneously and say that I don't fully subscribe to either side, but based on evidence I subscribe to one side more than the other at times.

You aren't alone in this. As the childhood friend of Mike and Marcus pointed out on Reddit, much to my surprise as I only read it recently, Marcus was convinced that certain soundtracks and films had a secret connection because of the way that they would seemingly perfectly fit over eachother. The person described this as being a result of excessive consumption of cannabis. To ordinary folk it tends to be more of a basic sedative, but to some of the more perceptive it has a very different effect on thoughts and kind of polarises them also. It makes it difficult to find a connection without believing with every fiber in you that it means something.

You have found many connections, though. Some valid, some seemingly less valid. There are bound to be false positives, but also things that others perceive as "nothing, really" that could turn out to be the case. I feel BoC do this deliberately to a certain extent. It isn't anything to worry about as long as you are more of a "maybe" person than a Charlie Manson looking into Beatles lyrics whilst incredibly stoned and believing, without any consideration that it is untrue, that it might not be an indication of an upcoming war between the races. Or, on the flipside, the docile and harmless hippie who camped out on Lennon's lawn who believed the lyrics were about him to the extent of obsession.

I was guilty of that as well. I was very stoned when TH came out and was convinced that certain samples were taken directly from my private recordings. This whole idea of weed being something that purely mellows people out and the more high you get, the more relaxed you get is really untrue in many instances. Even the hardcore ghetto "smoke weed err'day" gangsters seem to just be pretending it isn't giving them a disassociative and sometimes freaky experiences, just like everyone likes to pretend they can hold their alcohol like a machine, without it ever causing them to break down and cry or embarrass themselves, until you get to know them a bit better.

I got over it through moderation mostly. A very light joint once in a while to relax the muscles, before one starts getting into the territory of overthinking, is a positive. Keep in mind the THC/CBD ratio in the weed that is considered normal at the moment is ridiculously unnatural as well. Without the proper CBD potency to balance it out, it becomes another animal.

Dayvan Cowboy
SL FLK, I like your posts. They actually give me something to think about in a zone of otherwise dead content. For one, I still think the helter skelter in the cathedral is totally BOC-esque. Apply the BOC image filter over that upwards shot of the helter skelter and you have a bona-fide image they'd include in their art collections. It has that surreal, religious, childish quality to it.

And honestly, if we think about it. This year and the next year are the fiftieth anniversary of their favorite numbers, 69 and 70.

BOC do play the number/mystery game to some extent, but I do feel that recently there have been people who read into it a level higher than they go. In fact, there was this dude I remember who'd always post on the forum when I was more of a lurker named Opothecary, and he loved creating theories based on dates and numbers concerning Boards. I thought his ideas were really cool, but it was sad when it seemed BOC didn't ever do anything based on them. I secretly hoped they would!

The sheer silence of Boards is really a shame because I feel that the gap they leave is constantly being filled in by fans and we all just set ourselves up for disappoint when our own interpretations of Board's game doesn't amount to things.

Posts Quantity
Give it a bit longer? :|

Eagle Minded
Thank you for the responses. Especially Valotonin. Yes, I am laying off weed for a few years and like I said, I am really trying to control my drinking. Everything started to get out of control when I found myself in a relationship I no longer wanted to be in. I basically stayed in the relationship because I wanted to be close to my son and I hated the thought of not seeing him everyday. But it got too much and I knew I had to leave. I promised my son I would still see him everyday and everything would be just the same, in fact we'd all be happier.

I've since seen him about 3 times in 2 years. The last time I saw him was over a year ago. Basically his Mum is doing everything she can to keep me away and she has every one supporting her. I cannot afford to take her to court and I do not get legal aid. If I try contacting her again she will get a restraining order. I cannot turn up and my sons school because it would cause an argument and upset my son. I don't want that. I am constantly tortured by my thoughts and memories telling my son that I would never leave him and now I feel i've abandoned him. He is 7 now. All letters I write to him are ignored and I have missed his last 2 birthdays. I feel I am missing out on his childhood which can never be recovered and that one day he will no longer remember me or that his mum and her family are poisoning his mind about me. All sorts of things run through my head. I have never felt love like this is my life and now I feel like a part of me has just been ripped out. I fill the void with drink and drugs. I have done for the past 2 years. I ran away a few times going on cycle tours of England and Scotland, wild camping etc. Part of me wanted to lose my job and flat and just become homeless as I feel that I am not a part of society and that I am worthless if I cannot be a father. I am hoping that I am on a turnaround. I have gained interest in music again and I am switching on the synths most evenings and now and making music again. I am cooking a lot and I do a bit of foraging this time of year.

The BoC mix has been a great medicine for me. It's almost taken my mind out of my own situation. It's like a trip through history, geolocation and even attitudes. I hear positivity, pain, love, death... Life. It has come at just the right time for me to regain the love for the thing that has never left my side. Music

Dayvan Cowboy
That is rough. Hang in there.

Just know that, even in the worst of circumstances in terms of custody, eventually the decision will fall to your son. My partner was isolated from her mother for years until she was old enough and, due to the affection and undying hope on her mother's part of always trying to retain contact and always doing her best to send gifts through the years to the dismay of her father, as soon as the time came she went straight back to her. For my father, it was fifteen or so years he spent apart from his daughter (my half sister) in a situation much akin to the one you are in now. Again, due to the affection and my father's never giving up hope, she came to him immediately for long weekend stays and barbecues in the summer once the decision lay with her.

Even if you are unlucky enough to not be successful in your battle for the right to see your child in the next few years, inevitably it is just a case of waiting. With the undying love you clearly show for him, that is something I believe you are capable of.

Anyway. I hope mods can let this slight deviation from the topic slide in this instance.

Friendly Stranger
This thread right now

Friendly Stranger
I'm still not convinced that Sinking Ships isnt just another name for Wheeltower. It says they had a lot of members, who knows, maybe Mike and Mark could have been members at some point or another?

Eagle Minded
Let's get back on track...

How I spend my spare time. I work at a local recycling centre in the UK (I won't say which one). I think that when I took the job the sudden exposure to waste hit me. We are talking a 40 foot long skip, 15 foot deep maybe 12 feet across being filled with electronic goods every 3 or 4, possibly 5 days depending on how busy it is. General waste can fill a same size skip in maybe 3 times over (3 skips) in a 10 hour operational day. That includes compacting to get as much in it as possible inside. This is just one site for one city. I had absolutely no idea. The things you learn and see at the endpoint of human waste is both shocking, sad and most of the time, insane. It has possibly had an effect on me. I am convinced that waste has peaked and now we are facing global economic decline and all the fun things that go with it. Anyway... I shouldn't really be telling you this as I could lose my job (not that I am the slightest bit bothered at this stage in my life) but whenever I see people throwing VHS cassettes away I take them home. We still see them occasionally, but they are getting rarer as we throw away obsolete technology. I get drunk and stoned and I see what is on them. It really is very interesting. Old adverts, music and tv films that are rare or hard to find. Even watching old news reports is great too. It seems different when you watch them back from a point in the future. Almost like you see a hidden plan being folded out over time. Anyhow. Last night I put on a tape that I had salvaged. First there was an episode of the antiques roadshow. Then an episode of coronation street. Half way through was a documentary film about the battle of little bighorn. An excerpt was red out by a native american. He was talking about the white man taking over and destroying their old ways of life. Part of the monologue he said "Rule the World" but in his accent this sounded exactly like 'Rue the Whirl". There was no pronunciation of the D. I can't find the clip on youtube and I do not have the means to digitise it. But also on the same documentary was something else that got me thinking.

In telephasic workshop when all the voice samples start firing with different start points (I'm sure they used the S2000 for this and kept changing the sample start point position manually. Something I used to do) It says "BORDERING CANADA"

could someone slow this down, the part where it says Across the border in canada.

https://youtu.be/60yLVrhksWk?t=1428

Another vhs contained a copy of a film called Slime City from 1988. A shit film but with great music. It was in the music of this film where I discovered something that I thought sounded like the intro to Pete Standing Alone. First I was freaked out by the Native American link to the documentary I had seen earlier, being that Pete Standing was a native american. A striking chord within one of the scenes. I betcha any money BoC have seen this movie. I don't think it is a direct sample? If it is I think it may have been put through the S2000 with a bit of wobble and reverb.

Anyway I did happen to find a digital copy online. I have clipped it and uploaded it to youtube. Let me know what you think :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JrTCDx ... e=youtu.be

Eagle Minded
I think the bordering canada voice is computer generated now listening to it again.

Eagle Minded
I am convincing myself that quite a few tracks on MHTRTC are inspired by the PBS documentaries on Custer and little bighorn.

https://youtu.be/grNX1x-EkDM?t=2968

Eagle Minded
A member of a Native American people formerly inhabiting the lower Columbia River valley and adjoining coastal regions of Washington and Oregon, now located in western Washington. The Chinook traded widely throughout the Pacific Northwest. b. The Chinookan language of the Chinook

Eagle Minded
Rue the Whirl

I've uploaded a video of the tape I found. I just filmed it with my computer and turned the sound up. It happens towards the end by the words of Kicking Bear.

https://youtu.be/UyL6-Vb8beA

For those that don't wish to watch the full clip.

Eagle Minded

Posts Quantity
Vulpix wrote:I'm still not convinced that Sinking Ships isnt just another name for Wheeltower. It says they had a lot of members, who knows, maybe Mike and Mark could have been members at some point or another?

Mike and Marcus would have been 10 and 9 years old respectively when Strangers was released. Then again, they could have been child prodigies.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada