Post-WXAXRXP Societas X Tape Tracklist & Discussion

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
IronMark wrote:Track 12 (1:30:11 to 1:34:34). The piano line sounds far too poppy and clean to be BOC, the synth pads underneath are slightly more BOCesque but for me this doesn't sound anything like them and it sounds like it's been recorded on equipment too good to be from their early days. Sounds far more like a BOC influence than BOC themselves. The really deep bass synth that comes in during the second half of this sounds like a different track to me that's been mixed in and sounds a bit more BOCish.

It really reminds me of a variation on the theme of the Great Fairy's Fountain from Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IljKQ1BdHKI) I thought that right away since that game was a huge part of my childhood <3 Really interesting how they'd (or someone would) use this.

Sherbet Head
Ecstatic to have been reminded about YMO's Light in Darkness. It got away from me in recent years.. I'd forgotten it somehow. Since yesterday I've realised how much I've missed it.

Happy Cycler
Yes! YMO are great (and Haruomi Hosono). I was so glad they dropped that tune.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:That was a really self-indulgent post, in retrospect.
*insert life story*

What (named) tracks did people here enjoy the most in the mix?

My top 5 would be, in no particular order:
Associations, Maritime Tatami, Slave to the rythm/illusion, Garden Botanum and Tarantula :-D
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:What (named) tracks did people here enjoy the most in the mix?

Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love was one of my favourites, although I enjoyed the entire thing

It would only be fair to mention "Doxa Sinistra - The Other Stranger" too! That has literally been stuck in my head ALL day. 10/10 track and the BoC vibes are unreal.

These Trails - Garden Botanum really reminded me of something even my mother would fancy. It got pretty trippy with the echoey effect.

Filmmaker - Crow Mask is also epic. The whole damn thing though was epic to be honest.

Sherbet Head
Mozart wrote:[

Filmmaker - Crow Mask is also epic. The whole damn thing though was epic to be honest.

Nearly as good was Filmmaker commenting on a YT upload of the mix that he'd only found out today that he was on it. Think that made his week!

Dayvan Cowboy
If I found out my music was on a mix complied by BoC, that would probably make my whole life, not just my week.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mozart wrote:These Trails - Garden Botanum really reminded me of something even my mother would fancy. It got pretty trippy with the echoey effect.

I may be stating the obvious, but that wasn't in the original. The deep, echoey Satanic sounding vocals were added and I have no idea what the source of that was.

Posts Quantity
Forgive me if it's been mentioned but the track at (24:30 after the Flayer track) very much sounds like My Bloody Valentine. The cord progressions are there and they are known as an influence - just not sure of the track - almost sounds like a tweaked 'Loomer' or 'To Here Knows When'

Dayvan Cowboy
soupbandit wrote:Forgive me if it's been mentioned but the track at (24:30 after the Flayer track) very much sounds like My Bloody Valentine. The cord progressions are there and they are known as an influence - just not sure of the track

Definitely the use of a tremolo unit with a reverse reverb effect; Kevin Shield's calling card.
I was thinking the same during the broadcast actually but I had cast that aside,
thank you for reminding me :mrgreen:

Dayvan Cowboy
In regards to the post above, I recall exactly which track it reminds me of: The Interlude at the end of the Tremolo EP version of To Here Knows When (a different interlude to the Loveless release)
phpBB [media]

Skip to 4:50 if the link isn't landing you on the correct segment.

Edit: Reversing it from the Societas x Tape now.
I think it actually is!

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:In regards to the post above, I recall exactly which track it reminds me of: The Interlude at the end of the Tremolo EP version of To Here Knows When (a different interlude to the Loveless release)
phpBB [media]

Skip to 4:50 if the link isn't landing you on the correct segment.

Edit: Reversing it from the Societas x Tape now.
I think it actually is!

bingo - i think you got it :D
high five us
Last edited by soupbandit on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Valotonin wrote:That was a really self-indulgent post, in retrospect.
*insert life story*

What (named) tracks did people here enjoy the most in the mix?

Doxa Sinistra is #1 for me. This is the first time I've ever heard a direct influence on BOC's music from a band they like. I was so sure this was a new BOC composition during the broadcast and was mildly disappointed when it was ID'd as not BOC. Brilliant song though and it's in friggin 11/8.

I also liked the Devo one, I've only ever had a sideways appreciation of Devo and hadn't heard Shrivel Up before.

I really like Kanap, the sinister as fuck breathing noises really add to the uneasy atmosphere of the music.

And Sea Cathedral is ethereally lush.

Dayvan Cowboy
soupbandit wrote:
high five us

+10 points for teamwork 8)
My favorite piece of music ever created is the interlude later on between Honey Power and Moon Song on that EP.
I still don't feel it is 100% a match, but they have clearly either tried to recreate it or pulled it from a source that would be so similar as to be a clone if it exists and if it isn't a reworked version from that source.

Friendly Stranger

Boqurant
Oh man, NTS faking us out with a tracklist link which leads to................no tracklist provided. Hmpf
I was a kid

Dayvan Cowboy
IronMark wrote:
Doxa Sinistra is #1 for me. This is the first time I've ever heard a direct influence on BOC's music from a band they like. I was so sure this was a new BOC composition during the broadcast and was mildly disappointed when it was ID'd as not BOC. Brilliant song though and it's in friggin 11/8.

I also liked the Devo one, I've only ever had a sideways appreciation of Devo and hadn't heard Shrivel Up before.

I really like Kanap, the sinister as fuck breathing noises really add to the uneasy atmosphere of the music.

And Sea Cathedral is ethereally lush.

Nice picks!

The Kanap track wasn't my favorite, though.
I hope that someone making Freudian observations doesn't look too much into this, but it made me uncomfortable as all I could envision as a result of the backing samples was Bill Hick's 'Goat Boy' engaged in less than wholesome behavior with a woman.

Posts Quantity
Reginald Frothy wrote:It's up on NTS now. https://www.nts.live/shows/wxaxrxp/epis ... -june-2019

The mixcloud stream is 67kbit :lol:

Posts Quantity
Slightly offtopic but what's the music before the station ID? In the background of the speech. From 00:08. Sound like Clarke to me https://www.mixcloud.com/viktor-kovalev ... as-x-tape/

Posts Quantity
Valotonin wrote:
soupbandit wrote:
high five us

+10 points for teamwork 8)
My favorite piece of music ever created is the interlude later on between Honey Power and Moon Song on that EP.
I still don't feel it is 100% a match, but they have clearly either tried to recreate it or pulled it from a source that would be so similar as to be a clone if it exists and if it isn't a reworked version from that source.

That moment IS beautiful - great taste :)
I've probably spent a couple days of my life sandwiched between some headphones while 'Sometimes' resonates through me. I think I actually found BOC through MBV discussion and can't say I wasn't looking for them when Societas starting to look like a mixtape

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada